Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Doors of the 21st Century

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Doors of the 21st Century
    Posted: September 15 2020 at 10:00
Since for a long time the USSR was a bit of another galaxy for westerners, there's always a temptation for both sides of the Iron Curtain to draw parallels. 

Who's the Soviet The Doors? Well, bands like that simply could not exist in the USSR since mid-Stalin through later-Gorbachev. Drug-concerned, shamanism, blues - all the forbidden stuff. 

Who's the post-Soviet The Doors on the formerly Soviet soil then? First that came to my mind is the band Nol' - Zero, that is. 

Their two greatest hits: 

Idu, Kuryu - I'm Walking, I'm Smoking (about smoking hashish)

and Chelovek I Koshka - A Man And A Cat (about waiting for a drug dealer) 

Not the same, for sure, but I failed to find a better equivalent. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 06:33
^ I used to watch SCTV too. We had the entire series on You Tube Episodes & Music. Thumbs Up
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 06:25
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Trolling has meant playing the fool to expose others foolishness, I've trolled myself many times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Mike Flowers Pops version of Light My Fire. The best parody acts actually manage to perform music well, I find, with their own spin, and I happen to like lounge music.

A blast from my childhood from a Canadian TV show:

Loved the Doors, and an "underrated" keyboardist:

As for the Doors of the 21st Century, good cover band. I'd like to hear them do "21st Century Schizoid Man" as the Doors.

SCTV is the BEST.SmileLOLClap
Shake & bake.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:20
Thanks Logan, for posting the Rick Moranis "Turning Japanese" video. I loved it! Thumbs Up

I can't say I loved "Light My Fire" being shredded though. LOL

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 26 2020 at 03:23
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:15
Jose Feliciano, anyone ? Light my fire, light my fire, light my fire, light, light. light.....
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:11
Trolling has meant playing the fool to expose others foolishness, I've trolled myself many times.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Mike Flowers Pops version of Light My Fire. The best parody acts actually manage to perform music well, I find, with their own spin, and I happen to like lounge music.

A blast from my childhood from a Canadian TV show:

Loved the Doors, and an "underrated" keyboardist:

As for the Doors of the 21st Century, good cover band. I'd like to hear them do "21st Century Schizoid Man" as the Doors.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:08
LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:05
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Are you trolling your own thread? 

What's this obsession you have with "trolling"? There are no trolls that I know of here at ProgArchives. The only trolls I know of live under bridges. I posted the Mike Flowers Pops "Argentina" video in response to gr8Dane showing an interest in the band, but if you don't like it, then you can just "Walk On By" Smile

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 03:04

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Mike Flowers Pops also recorded their own inimitable version of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" Smile

are you trolling your own thread? 
good job if you are... ConfusedLOL
Cristi, this comment is gold
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:57
^ you, the creator of this thread, going off topic like that it's both ridiculous and kinda funny. But hey, it's your thread. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:48
^ As I've said before, that's not trolling, that's rock 'n' rolling. Thumbs Up

You just never know where these tribute threads are going to lead. Who would have guessed that a tribute thread to The Doors would also lead to a tribute to The Mike Flowers Pops, due to their "Light My Fire" connection. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:43

The Mike Flowers Pops also recorded their own inimitable version of "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" Smile

are you trolling your own thread? 
good job if you are... ConfusedLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 02:40

gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 16:14

The Mike Flowers Pops 21st century version of Light My Fire. Smile

is this a parody band?
Yes, The Mike Flowers Pops are actually a parody of the sixties band, Harpers Bizarre. Notice the resemblance between the two blonde-haired frontmen.  Smile

Ah,did not know this.Will check it out. :-))
Great stuff .Smile

Edited by gr8dane - August 25 2020 at 16:15
Shake & bake.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 16:13

^ I thought so too. The Mike Flowers Pops also did  a great cover version of Oasis' "Wonderwall" which I posted in another thread, and from my point of view, it's much better than the original version by the Gallagher brothers. Smile

Yep.Got the album.
I go to youtube every now and a gain to watch the Videos.So much fun.
Shake & bake.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 15:01

is this a parody band?
Yes, The Mike Flowers Pops are actually a parody of the sixties band, Harpers Bizarre. Notice the resemblance between the two blonde-haired frontmen.  Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 25 2020 at 15:27
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 14:06

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I read somewhere- i think from a couple of different sources- (and yes you cant believe all you read) many years ago that after Jim Died the remaining Doors were very keen to try out Howard Werth from Audience! I'm not sure if an audition took place or indeed where they would have heard or come across him.. dont think Audience toured the states though i know their lps were released and promoted fairly heavily on Elektra so maybe thats where.. Good God, the mind boggles.. what a strange outfit that would have been!! Could well be just another of those urban myths that were generated ten-a-penny back then but what a band that would have been!

At least Howard Werth couldn't be accused of trying to imitate Jim Morrison if he HAD joined The Doors, and he may have attracted a big Audience. Smile

LOL boom boom ting!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:20
^ I thought so too. The Mike Flowers Pops also did  a great cover version of Oasis' "Wonderwall" which I posted in another thread, and from my point of view, it's much better than the original version by the Gallagher brothers. Smile
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 08:44

is this a parody band?

The videos and the covers are great in a loungy cool kinda way.Big smileLOL
Shake & bake.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 06:41
^ Yes, I believe some of The Mike Flowers Pops songs featured in the Austin Powers movies. They're pretty good though, for a parody band.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>