Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Doors of the 21st Century

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Doors of the 21st Century
    Posted: August 23 2020 at 16:44
When the Music's Over and Summer's Almost Gone, spare a thought for Jim Morrison: forever remembered as one of the Riders on the Storm in the world of Psychedelic Rock. When Jim left for France with his L.A Woman by his side in the Indian Summer of 1971, no one could possibly have guessed he would Break On Through to the Other Side at the End of the Night in his Morrison Hotel room in Paris, after returning from a Moonlight Drive. Only earlier that day, he'd been cruising down The Soft Parade of Paris storefronts with his Wild Child L.A. girlfriend, while Waiting for the Sun to go down on the Champs de Elysee. When fans and fellow band members of The Doors heard the shocking news that Jim Morrison had died,  An American Prayer was said for him around the world in the Strange Days that followed. That wasn't The End for The Doors though, because events have now come Full Circle. The legacy of The Doors music lives on forever, and as you'll hear in the fabulous concert below,  Other Voices have carried the timeless music of Jim Morrison & The Doors well into the 21st century. So what are we waiting for..... The time to hesitate is through, no time to wallow in the mire, so come on baby, Light My FireSmile  Heart

All songs and albums in Blue Highlights by Jim Morrison and The Doors

The Doors of the 21st Century: L.A. Woman Live - 2004 (featuring original members of The Doors: Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger with Ian Astbury as Jim Morrison!)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 24 2020 at 07:11
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 17:09
^ Just a note - it was not a hotel room in Paris. Wink
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 17:14
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

^ Just a note - it was not a hotel room in Paris. Wink

I know, but I had to fit "Morrison Hotel" in there somewhere. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 01:20
Midnight drive? I giggled. The song is called Moonlight Drive. 

Edited by Cristi - August 24 2020 at 01:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 01:58
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Midnight drive? I giggled. The song is called Moonlight Drive. 

Thanks! I'll edit it, but at least it gave you a giggle. Smile

In my defence, it was getting pretty late by the time I'd finally finished writing, editing & colouring all of The Doors songs in. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 24 2020 at 02:01
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:00
I only love the Doors of the 20th century Big smileLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:03

I only love the Doors of the 20th century Big smileLOL

Oh well, I can't please everyone. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:11
^ in recent years all sorts of live albums of the band, demos and alternative takes on songs have been released, some of them quite good, so why would i listen to Manzarek & Krieger with a Morrison imitator? Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:23

^ in recent years all sorts of live albums of the band, demos and alternative takes on songs have been released, some of them quite good, so why would i listen to Manzarek & Krieger with a Morrison imitator? Confused

I really enjoyed The Doors in the 21st Century, but if it's not your cup of tea, than that's fine by me. Hey! That rhymes! Smile 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I really enjoyed The Doors in the 21st Century, but if it's not your cup of tea, than that's fine by me. Hey! That rhymes! Smile 

help me understand here: so you'd rather listen to Manzarek/Krieger with the guy from The Cult to a live The Doors performance with Jim Morrison? Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:32
^ No, I'm not saying I'd rather have The Doors in the 21st Century instead of the original performance of The Doors with Jim Morrison, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy a 21st century tribute concert to The Doors, featuring one half of the original band. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:37

Yes, Ian Astbury of The Cult is a Morrison imitator, but he's a very good imitator, because not only does Ian Astbury look like Jim Morrison - he sounds like Jim Morrison too. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:40

Yes, Ian Astbury of The Cult is a Morrison imitator, but he's a very good imitator, because not only does Ian Astbury look like Jim Morrison - he sounds like Jim Morrison too. Smile

that does not answer my question. 

Why would I listen to Manzarek/Krieger with a Morrison imitator when there are live performances with Jim? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 02:50
^ There's no argument from me. Why would you listen to The Doors of the 21st Century when you can listen to The Doors of the 20th Century Live at The Hollywood Bowl in 1968. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 03:47

Why would I listen to Manzarek/Krieger with a Morrison imitator when there are live performances with Jim? 
Would you rather Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger had just packed away their instruments and not bothered making a comeback at all!?? Confused
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 03:49

Would you rather Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger had just packed away their instruments and not bothered making a comeback at all!?? Confused

still does not answer my question. LOL
why do you answer a question with a question? LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 05:58
I have no problem with The Doors of the 21st Century - great to see a bit of a tribute to their wonderful music.
Great to see Ray living it up. Morrison is cool, but my favourite album of theirs is Other Voices !!

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 24 2020 at 05:58
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:01
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I have no problem with The Doors of the 21st Century - great to see a bit of a tribute to their wonderful music.
Great to see Ray living it up. Morrison is cool, but my favourite album of theirs is Other Voices !!

That's the most unique opinion about The Doors I've ever seen. Big smile
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:57
I did see Doors w/ Ian,and it was very good.

Shake & bake.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 06:59

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

That's the most unique opinion about The Doors I've ever seen. Big smile
True. OV followed closely by Waiting for the Sun.
And with Full Circle, Four Billion Souls, Verdilac, The Mosquito and The Piano Bird are pure gold. There (was ?) a cool live performance from ‘72 posted on the toob. I think Ray f**ked up during the show. Yes, on Ships w/ Sails.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 24 2020 at 07:02
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>