Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will we ever see a new Yes studio album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will we ever see a new Yes studio album?
    Posted: August 26 2020 at 08:55

In the last 20 years, since the year 2000, Yes has only released three original full-length studio albums: Magnification in 2001, Fly From Here in 2011, and Heaven & Earth in 2014. (Last year came From A Page which contained four previously unreleased songs from 2010, but I'm not counting that as a proper album release.)

Do you think we will ever see another studio album from Yes?

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - August 26 2020 at 08:56
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:00
I'm going to ask it...WHY??????? Also going to say it.....No Chris Squire no more Yes. Jon A has been more than open to a Yes reunion if you wanna call it that, but it seems Mr Howe wants nothing of it. I'm sure more music will come from all of them.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:01
At this point who really cares? I say this as someone who used to be a super huge Yes fan(now I consider myself to be a moderate Yes fan only because they have gone downhill in the past 10-15 years or so). If Jon Anderson returns then we'll talk. 

Or how about this. A new band called Geneyes featuring Steve Howe, Jon Anderson, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and Phil Collins. LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:01
There's an interview with Jon Anderson in the latest Prog magazine where he mentions he had a dream where they all got together and played CTTE, Awaken and "other tracks that people love" but no mention of anything new but obviously he's not the Yes singer now.
At the risk of upsetting P. Paul, I'm going to say I can live without another Heaven and Earth. I did find the recent ARW live recording miles better than the slightly lethargic offerings from the other Yes so it might have been more interesting if they'd done some studio stuff but it doesn't sound like that's going to happen.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:02
I hope not. 

No Squire, no Yes. 

Plus, no offense, they are rather old, Alan White cannot drum much anymore (I saw a video of a live show where he's backed up by a younger drummer). Howe seems to stubbornly continue to keep Yes just to piss off Jon Anderson. But Anderson created ARW, which pissed of Howe I think. It's ridiculous already. We kinda have two Yes bands. LOL

Edited by Cristi - August 26 2020 at 09:02
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:08
No, of course not. Since their break after the Magnification album and the subsequent tour Yes has become a Yes tribute band.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:13
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

At this point who really cares? I say this as someone who used to be a super huge Yes fan(now I consider myself to be a moderate Yes fan only because they have gone downhill in the past 10-15 years or so). If Jon Anderson returns then we'll talk. 

Or how about this. A new band called Geneyes featuring Steve Howe, Jon Anderson, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and Phil Collins. LOL

Soooooo, who's the drummer gonna be??
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:22
I doubt if there'll be another Yes album without Chris Squire, and even if there is another album, I doubt if it would even come Close to the Edge of being anywhere near as good as the Heaven & Earth album. Heart
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:27
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I doubt if there'll be another Yes album without Chris Squire, and even if there is another album, I doubt if it would even come Close to the Edge of being anywhere near as good as the Heaven & Earth album.

So, you're actually saying that any album they would eventually produce would be the worst Yes album ever? Wink

SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:31
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I hope not. 

No Squire, no Yes. 

Plus, no offense, they are rather old, Alan White cannot drum much anymore (I saw a video of a live show where he's backed up by a younger drummer). Howe seems to stubbornly continue to keep Yes just to piss off Jon Anderson. But Anderson created ARW, which pissed of Howe I think. It's ridiculous already. We kinda have two Yes bands. LOL

About Alan White, I do agree with you. The younger drummer is Jay Schellen, and I suspect that he's been added to the live band partly in preparation for White's retirement from the band. But that's just my own speculation.

About Squire however, I do not agree at all. Of course, he will always be missed. But Sherwood is more than capable on the bass as well as vocally, and as a writer too. People sometimes say that there can be no Yes without Squire, but they tend to forget about Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe which totally sounded like Yes even though Squire was not involved.

Like you point out, and I probably should have mentioned this in the original post, there are two versions of Yes currently (or at least there was a couple of years ago). The "other" version containing Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, and Rick Wakeman. They talked about recording a studio album together, but I doubt it will happen.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:36
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I doubt if there'll be another Yes album without Chris Squire, and even if there is another album, I doubt if it would even come Close to the Edge of being anywhere near as good as the Heaven & Earth album.

So, you're actually saying that any album they would eventually produce would be the worst Yes album ever? Wink
No, I wouldn't put it that way. If it was the worst Yes album ever, then it'd be worse than Tormato, Big Generator & Open Your Eyes combined. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:53
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

I hope not. 

No Squire, no Yes. 

About Alan White, I do agree with you. The younger drummer is Jay Schellen, and I suspect that he's been added to the live band partly in preparation for White's retirement from the band. But that's just my own speculation.

About Squire however, I do not agree at all. Of course, he will always be missed. But Sherwood is more than capable on the bass as well as vocally, and as a writer too. People sometimes say that there can be no Yes without Squire, but they tend to forget about Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe which totally sounded like Yes even though Squire was not involved.

Like you point out, and I probably should have mentioned this in the original post, there are two versions of Yes currently (or at least there was a couple of years ago). The "other" version containing Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, and Rick Wakeman. They talked about recording a studio album together, but I doubt it will happen.

I read in a magazine long ago that ABWH was not released under the Yes name out of respect for Chris Squire, because he was the heart & soul of Yes, the engine, the driving force behind the band. 
So that's why I said no Squire, no Yes. Big smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 09:55
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Soooooo, who's the drummer gonna be??

Peter Gabriel. LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 10:54

I hope not. 

No Squire, no Yes. 

I read in a magazine long ago that ABWH was not released under the Yes name out of respect for Chris Squire, because he was the heart & soul of Yes, the engine, the driving force behind the band. 

As far as I know, the real reason the ABWH album was not released under the name "Yes" was that this name was legally owned by the other group.

Anyway, ABWH sounded like Yes, even more so than 90125 or Big Generator did.

It always surprises me when people say that "there can be no Yes without individual X". Yes was always something over and above its individual members, and the sound of the band survived through so many line up changes. No member was stricly essential, not Squire (as ABWH proves), not Anderson (as Drama proves)...

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 11:11

I hope not. 

No Squire, no Yes. 

As far as I know, the real reason the ABWH album was not released under the name "Yes" was that this name was legally owned by the other group.

It always surprises me when people say that "there can be no Yes without individual X". Yes was always something over and above its individual members, and the sound of the band survived through so many line up changes. No member was stricly essential, not Squire (as ABWH proves), not Anderson (as Drama proves)...

I just told you what I read. I've always believed Squire was the essential member of Yes. I guess I should not believe everything I read?! Confused

BTW, what other group? You mean to say Anderson was in both groups?! That traitor! LOL

Wasn't the Rabin line-up on a break after Big Generator? So Anderson got together with Howe and Wakeman and Bruford? The things I read... LOL
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 11:11

This is true, I think. But it also means, maybe, that 90125 was more progressive (in the sense of exploring new territories) than ABWH ever were, since they were more harking back to what they had done before... It is part of the reason why I think that nowadays Yes has become a Yes tribute-band, despite the "original" material.

We kinda have two Yes bands. LOL

Oh, oh... So we can expect a new Union album. How shall we call it ? Union 2, Re-Union or Onion and Curry? Clown

Edited by suitkees - August 26 2020 at 11:11

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 11:13
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

This is true, I think. But it also means, maybe, that 90125 was more progressive (in the sense of exploring new territories) than ABWH ever were, since they were more harking back to what they had done before... It is part of the reason why I think that nowadays Yes has become a Yes tribute-band, despite the "original" material.

We kinda have two Yes bands. LOL

Oh, oh... So we can expect a new Union album. How shall we call it ? Union 2, Re-Union or Onion and Curry? Clown

there can be no re-union, Howe and Anderson can barely stand each other. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 11:22

there can be no re-union, Howe and Anderson can barely stand each other. 

There's a solution to that: I saw them on that Union tour In-the-Round (great concert, BTW!). It suffices to put JA on one side, SH on the opposite side, the drum kits (AW, BB) and the keys (RW, TK) in the middle and Jon and Steve will never have to meet each other (as long as they don't move around to much, something they never really did, actually)... Big smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 11:27

I hope not. 

No Squire, no Yes. 

I just told you what I read. I've always believed Squire was the essential member of Yes. I guess I should not believe everything I read?! Confused

BTW, what other group? You mean to say Anderson was in both groups?! That traitor! LOL

Wasn't the Rabin line-up on a break after Big Generator? So Anderson got together with Howe and Wakeman and Bruford? The things I read... LOL

Honestly, I don't remember exactly who owned the name "Yes" at that time, but there was a legal conflict between Yes and ABWH. Anderson was in both groups.

It is similar to what we have today with Yes (Howe, White, Downes, Sherwood, and Davison) on the one hand, and Yes feat. Anderson Rabin Wakeman on the other hand.

The way I see it is that there cannot be too many Yes'es, the more the better LOL

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 11:40
Yes 3: Bruford, Levin, Moraz, Horn and... who on guitars?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>