Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will we ever see a new Yes studio album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 10:15
No. Because even if someone dares release an album with the Yes moniker, i won't come within a radioactive mile of it. Yes is over! Squire has moved on!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 10:18

There is no doubt that there are amazing players in and around the band, the problem seems to be with song writing. Possibly, it may also be that they simply make more money just touring the old material.

rdenney View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rdenney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 10:24
I think we have to recognize that the members of Yes never really liked each other, though they always respected each other musically. They were so focused on excellence early on that they left a few people out in the cold in order to notch up their technique. That does not foster deep friendship and mutual loyalty, but it did foster a commitment to excellence.

Yet some friendships did eventually form, often after real conflict. Anderson and Wakeman, for example. Howe and White, perhaps. 

When I think about my own current and past workplaces, I understand the notion of several categories: Those who become buddies because of non-work reasons, those who become devoted colleagues because of both non-work and shared work-skill reasons, those who deeply respect one another for work-skill reasons but don't have much in common outside that, and those whose lacking work skills prevent any further exploration of friendships. I've worked with only a small handful of people in the second category, but have worked successfully with people in the third. But the workplace is not hobby space. I am not buddies with all the people with whom I frequently travel, but we still get the job done because we are both committed to the outcomes.

Someone said that ABWH failed because Anderson wanted Yes, but it's always been my impression that it was the reverse--Yes wanted Anderson, and contrived a series of events vis a vis the Union tour and album to make that happen. 

Wakeman once commented that Yes was different because they could play stuff other bands couldn't play (added by me: especially live). Sherwood seems to me a fine musician, but he's not in that category. Lee Pomeroy is. 

With Squire's death, it seems to me that Yes became a tribute band to itself. My wife and I attended a local concert of the Marshall Tucker Band, and only one member was part of the original group. They sounded good, but did not advance the plot. I don't expect any album from "official" Yes to advance the plot. It's hard enough for the remaining classic-lineup minds to do so on their own.

Rick "who'd love to see ARW make one more tour as they hoped to do last year" Denney
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 14:18
I would probably buy a new album. You never know. They might have something left in those old brains.

Of course with two Yeses, on the remote possibility of them merging, we might end up with the sequel to Onion. Oops. I know, not likely. But if the many-worlds interpretation of quantum theory is true, in another universe somewhere, this is happening right now. Oops.

I have to second (or is this third or fourth?) Lee Pomeroy's abilities. He's got a good track record with ARW and Steve Hackett; even does classic pop stuff in Jeff Lynne's ELO, can perform on 12-string, and with two of those bands, he contributed to vocal harmonies as well.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 17:46
I certainly hope not.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 09:54
I might be the biggest Yes fan/apologist in the world but my answer is: "Gawd, I hope not."
The Prog Corner
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 14:37
I saw this tour twice in the 1970s, there is no way in hell that this lineup of Yes can top this.  I wish they would just quietly retire. 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 14:59
My opinion is they should just stick to being an "oldies" act at this point. They probably haven't gained any younger fans(or newer fans in general) in quite some time(not counting those who are hardcore prog fans anyway) and are just kind of stagnating at this point. So for me personally no Jon Anderson no new Yes album. ;)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 28 2020 at 15:00
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 15:27
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I saw this tour twice in the 1970s, there is no way in hell that this lineup of Yes can top this.  I wish they would just quietly retire. 

Man I hate you.......2x live!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 15:28
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

My opinion is they should just stick to being an "oldies" act at this point. They probably haven't gained any younger fans(or newer fans in general) in quite some time(not counting those who are hardcore prog fans anyway) and are just kind of stagnating at this point. So for me personally no Jon Anderson no new Yes album. ;)

Sort of a prog "Foghat" in other words.  Another old favorite of mine that has fallen on hard times. 

Some bands manage to age more gracefully than others....Uriah Heep still seems to be putting out some great music, Hackett and Fripp have done fantastic, and both of the Wishbone Ash bands (Andy's and Martin's) can put out the music as well as it was originally written.   

I agree, no Anderson, no new Yes album.  He was their creative and spiritual genius, anyone else is just making it up.  

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 15:53
I'm one who liked Heaven and Earth, and Fly From Here., so would be perfectly happy with a new Yes album from whichever version.  To be honest, I prefer their newer stuff over Relayer and TFTO. Those albums are OK, but really my least favorite Yes albums.  They have a dated sound to me that I have to be in the mood for. But to that end, I am not losing any sleep over it.  There are plenty of newer, younger bands releasing some good music these days.  I've enjoyed the recent Steve Howe led Yes tours.  It has been fun to see them play complete albums from their prime.  Sure, I wish it were the original guys, but they still put on a good show.   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 15:54

Sort of a prog "Foghat" in other words.  Another old favorite of mine that has fallen on hard times. 

Some bands manage to age more gracefully than others....Uriah Heep still seems to be putting out some great music, Hackett and Fripp have done fantastic, and both of the Wishbone Ash bands (Andy's and Martin's) can put out the music as well as it was originally written.   

I agree, no Anderson, no new Yes album.  He was their creative and spiritual genius, anyone else is just making it up.  

Kansas could be another band you could compare them to but at least they are still putting out quality albums(from what I hear). I don't know much about Foghat but I'm sure there are several other bands like that. Uriah Heep have been around a long time also and refuse to give up too but they are apparently putting out quality albums at least(like Kansas). Nektar and Focus might be worth mentioning also in that regard.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 28 2020 at 15:56
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 21:32

Kansas could be another band you could compare them to but at least they are still putting out quality albums(from what I hear). I don't know much about Foghat but I'm sure there are several other bands like that. Uriah Heep have been around a long time also and refuse to give up too but they are apparently putting out quality albums at least(like Kansas). Nektar and Focus might be worth mentioning also in that regard.

Good call on Nektar and Focus by the way, I considered putting Focus down!  

Foghat were a blues-rock outfit that were formed from Savoy Brown & other bands, they were amazing (NOT prog).  Their first album was produced & engineered by Todd Rundgren.  The late Rod Price was, IMHO, the best slide guitarist in the world, bar none.  Now, they drift along, with only the original drummer leading the way. 

Some bands pull it off....Alice Cooper still puts on a good live show, and the Rolling Stones & Paul McCartney will probably outlast me.  Other bands just seem tired and lost.  

I haven't seen much of Yes with Davison, except on YouTube bits (which I didn't care for).  Jon Anderson is one of the best English poets of his generation, and rates up with the Romantics like Shelley etc.  You can't replace his lyrics with fluff nonsense as they have done since "Fly From Here."  

Over and out. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 21:51
Well, I know the name but other than the hits "slow ride" and "fool for the city" I don't know them. 
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 05:09
SouthSideOfTheSky - I'd love to see another Yes album, but we'll never see a song like South Side of the Sky again. Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 05:10
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

SouthSideOfTheSky - I'd love to see another Yes album, but we'll never see a song like South Side of the Sky again. Wink

Paul, is that you? 
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 05:19
^ I tried so hard to give the internet as little personal information as possible, and now you've forced me to tell the internet and countless hackers that my name IS NOT PAUL!!! Angry
Oh, wait, I've already given the internet my name on my profile here. Darn. LOL
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 07:16
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

^ I tried so hard to give the internet as little personal information as possible, and now you've forced me to tell the internet and countless hackers that my name IS NOT PAUL!!! Angry
Oh, wait, I've already given the internet my name on my profile here. Darn. LOL

Paul, stop lying to me. LOL
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 07:16
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

In the last 20 years, since the year 2000, Yes has only released three original full-length studio albums: Magnification in 2001, Fly From Here in 2011, and Heaven & Earth in 2014. (Last year came From A Page which contained four previously unreleased songs from 2010, but I'm not counting that as a proper album release.)

Do you think we will ever see another studio album from Yes?

Hi,

Please, don't make me .... Cry

Chris is not there any more and his touch was way too important and a nice double up with Steve Howe ... 

I don't think that we need another YES album ... it's time for them to enjoy their "retirement" and go smell some roses and have a quiet dinner or two!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2020 at 08:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I don't think that we need another YES album ... it's time for them to enjoy their "retirement" and go smell some roses and have a quiet dinner or two!

Isn't that what some people said about Yes already circa 1976? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>