Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Will we ever see a new Renaissance studio album?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will we ever see a new Renaissance studio album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will we ever see a new Renaissance studio album?
    Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:58

Yet another important Symphonic Prog band from the classic era is Renaissance. Their last studio album to date is Symphony Of Light which came out in 2013, and the one before that was Tuscany from the year 2000. But a live album appeared as recently as 2018. Do you think we will get a new studio album from them at some point?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 04:01
haven't three original members sadly passed away? 

Might as well call it Annie Haslam Band. 
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 09:13
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

haven't three original members sadly passed away?

Well, from the original line up, Keith Relf died in 1976. But he was only involved in the first two albums.

Michael Dunford passed away in 2012.

I will let someone else give a fuller answer, as I'm not that knowledgeable on the history of Renaissance members.

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 03:19
Well, normally I'd say I'm not familiar with Rennaisance so I don't know, but since apparently my name is Paul now, I love Rennaisance, so I really hope they do another album.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 03:27
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Well, normally I'd say I'm not familiar with Rennaisance so I don't know, but since apparently my name is Paul now, I love Rennaisance, so I really hope they do another album.

since this is a jibe at me, I am asking who will do the songwriting here? The songwriters of classic Renaissance have sadly passed away. It's only Annie left. I honestly don't see the point... Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 04:08

since this is a jibe at me, I am asking who will do the songwriting here? The songwriters of classic Renaissance have sadly passed away. It's only Annie left. I honestly don't see the point... Confused
I seriously have no idea, I'd never heard of Rennaisance before going on this site. I get the idea I'm missing out, what would you recommend??
Oh wait, my name is Paul. Hm... in that case, the more Rennaisance the better, even if it does have to be called the Annie Haslam band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 04:10
Before Sean Trane posts here, I will say it for him:
the world will be a better place without any new Censored Rennaisance album, whether new studio, new live or new compilation Evil Smile

Lay it to rest and deal with it dudes. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 04:12

I seriously have no idea, I'd never heard of Rennaisance before going on this site. I get the idea I'm missing out, what would you recommend??
Oh wait, my name is Paul. Hm... in that case, the more Rennaisance the better, even if it does have to be called the Annie Haslam band.

go listen to their 1969-1979 albums. 
and then come back with more jibes at me...  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 04:14

go listen to their 1969-1979 albums. 
and then come back with more jibes at me...  
Will do!! Evil Smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 04:49
New album isn't happening.  Annie has said in the wake of the pandemic that this was to be her farewell year.  She had a Brazil tour and a Night of the Prog appearance scheduled for this year.  After fulfilling these commitments next year (hopefully), she's going to call it a day.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 07:03
In addition to Michael Dunford, keyboardist during their most successful period was John Tout who also passed a few years ago.  The lyrics person during their most successful period was Betty Thatcher, who also passed a few years ago.  Jon Camp wrote a fair bit of the later stuff but it's doubtful he would rejoin.  The band that has toured the last 5 years or so has been very good and would be up to the challenge of a new album but I don't think it is to be.  Their last album was good, maybe even very good, while not being up to the Prologue to A Song for all Seasons period.  Still, not a bad way to bow out.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 09:43
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

In addition to Michael Dunford, keyboardist during their most successful period was John Tout who also passed a few years ago.  The lyrics person during their most successful period was Betty Thatcher, who also passed a few years ago.  Jon Camp wrote a fair bit of the later stuff but it's doubtful he would rejoin.  The band that has toured the last 5 years or so has been very good and would be up to the challenge of a new album but I don't think it is to be.  Their last album was good, maybe even very good, while not being up to the Prologue to A Song for all Seasons period.  Still, not a bad way to bow out.

Thank you, Ken! I was hoping you would post here, as I know you are very knowledgeable when it comes to Renaissance.

Me too I like the Symphony of Light album, especially the title track and Mystic and the Muse.

I take your opinion to be that a new album is unlikely, but not impossible.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 09:59
Based on what Annie told Peter Pardo, I would say a new album is all but impossible.  I mean I don't think Annie would go around telegraphing it unless she really meant to call time on her musical career. There's still Sullivan and Camp who might be free to pick up the thread after that but I am not sure they would now.  They would have to work from scratch with a new singer and do tours. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 10:26
The only songwriter who could fill the late Dunford's shoes is original member Jim McCarty, who far excelled Dunford's recent output with his own recent solo albums. Annie and Jim have no wish to work with each other, so the answer is no there will not be a new studio album by the time Annie calls it quits..
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 08:43
Like Steve says, McCarty has been quite active.  Since the early 1990s he produced 3 solo albums, one of which is absolutely brilliant, a great Renaissance Illusion album which was basically him, and has been involved with other projects like Staircase and Pilgrim.  In Pilgrim he rerecorded a Yardbirds song that shows how ahead of their time they were, as it sounds for all the world like a modern prog song.

He appeared at one of the Renaissance 50th anniversary shows but it was little more than a PR stunt to tie together the eras of the band.  No lead vocals, no lead guitar or bass, just singing along and strumming along as far as I could see.  If I had gone mostly to see him I would have been very disappointed, but he just happened to be at the show I went to so it was a very minor bonus.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 08:48
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Thank you, Ken! I was hoping you would post here, as I know you are very knowledgeable when it comes to Renaissance.

Me too I like the Symphony of Light album, especially the title track and Mystic and the Muse.

I take your opinion to be that a new album is unlikely, but not impossible.

Hi Fritz Anton!

Yes but it sounds like Madan is a bit more up to date than me.  They have pretty much exhausted the live possibilities at this point, with 2 relatively recent DVDs and a high def on on the way at some point.  Multiple tours and 2 with a chamber orchestra.  They did vary the song selections somewhat over the course of those outings which is good.   Most impressive from the new album was that the songs they played did not seem out of place with the classic material.  In particular, "Grandine Il Vento" is a revelation live, so powerful, and new yet familiar.  "The Mystic and The Muse" is perhaps even more complex than a lot of the old standards, while "Symphony of Light", while a bit over long for me, largely hits the mark
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 11:28

Like Steve says, McCarty has been quite active.  Since the early 1990s he produced 3 solo albums, one of which is absolutely brilliant, a great Renaissance Illusion album which was basically him, and has been involved with other projects like Staircase and Pilgrim.  In Pilgrim he rerecorded a Yardbirds song that shows how ahead of their time they were, as it sounds for all the world like a modern prog song.

He appeared at one of the Renaissance 50th anniversary shows but it was little more than a PR stunt to tie together the eras of the band.  No lead vocals, no lead guitar or bass, just singing along and strumming along as far as I could see.  If I had gone mostly to see him I would have been very disappointed, but he just happened to be at the show I went to so it was a very minor bonus.

I woudl like to check out McCarty and the bands you mention. Which Yardbirds song is it that they re-recorded with Pilgrim? Sounds interesting.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:37

I woudl like to check out McCarty and the bands you mention. Which Yardbirds song is it that they re-recorded with Pilgrim? Sounds interesting.

ok sorry, I may be in error.  It could be that the Yardbirds version was first done in 2003, which would make it more recent than the Pilgrim version.  I had assumed it was an old song from the original incarnation. 

Pilgrim version

Yardbirds version (ouch I think it is better...less new agey)

Edited by kenethlevine - September 04 2020 at 12:41
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:46
^ Awesome. Jim is an unsung genius.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 11:03

ok sorry, I may be in error.  It could be that the Yardbirds version was first done in 2003, which would make it more recent than the Pilgrim version.  I had assumed it was an old song from the original incarnation. 

Pilgrim version

Yardbirds version (ouch I think it is better...less new agey)

Thanks a lot Ken!

I wish to reciprocate with a recommendation of my own. I am listening to the new David Minasian album, and Annie sings on two of the tracks there. These two tracks (The Sound of Dreams (first movement) and The Wind of Heaven (epilogue)) would not have been out of place on the Symphony of Light album, and might be the closest thing we will ever get to new Renaissance material.

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - September 17 2020 at 11:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>