Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King Crimson: 26 Discs Of The Same Old Craaap!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson: 26 Discs Of The Same Old Craaap!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson: 26 Discs Of The Same Old Craaap!!
    Posted: September 01 2020 at 07:17
TWENTY SIX discs of early King Crimson material?
No! I'm out! It's bad enough we've been milked dry for years.
But for the masochistic, there you go. Live stuff! Alternate mixes that aren't as good as the finished product. AND alternate takes...that aren't as good as the end results.
King Crimson In The Court Of The Crimson King! Tagline: They saw you coming.

And if I had that sort of money, well force me off the forum with pitchforks, but I'd rather spend that cash on charities that y'know FEED the starving. Help the impoverished.
Your conscience may vary.

Please dig deep, as Fripp's Heroes lawsuit hasn't come cheap.
And what is an arse if not something you can pay through?

https://www.loudersound.com/news/king-crimson-to-release-massive-26-disc-1969-recordings-box-set
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 07:25
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Too right. I particularly hated that bit where Robert Fripp came to my house with a gun and made me order all those huge box sets even though I didn't want them. It was a lot of money, but otherwise he was going to shoot my cat.

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 07:40
This is probably more KC than anyone really needs but I'm guessing most of it hasn't been heard before and you're not being forced to buy it so you don't have to.
I have a feeling this might the sort of thing you'd listen to once but if you are a KC obsessive (and I know someone who has most of these box sets) then it's probably heaven.

Edited by chopper - September 01 2020 at 07:42
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 07:53
If there's enough people out there who want to buy it what has it got to do with you? I won't buy it but I think it's fantastic that he's making all this available for those that want it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 08:33
Not for me. How many remastered, alternate takes, unreleased songs, or Wilson remixes does one need? Will it continue when Bob's gone?

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 09:45
It should be titled "Cringe Crimson" for the overkill. But hey, if you're stupid enough to buy it that's you're issue. Caveat emptor. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 10:38
It's not something I would ever buy. On the one hand, it does seem like Fripp's milking the King Crimson name to squeeze everything he can get out of it. On the other hand, it's like a historical archive of everything Fripp ever thought was worth saving from 1969. I remember reading that Prince recorded everything he did in his home studio and had amassed hundreds (maybe more??) tapes. Musicians either with an "archives" gene or a "hoarding" gene...

Still it's a neat collection, just for a very narrow market methinks.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 10:40
may I ask what would be the price of such a release? 
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 10:49

And if I had that sort of money, well force me off the forum with pitchforks, but I'd rather spend that cash on charities that y'know FEED the starving. Help the impoverished.
Your conscience may vary.

Not my cuppa tea but if this is what people want to spend their money on, why do you give a f**k? And take your holier than thou judgments and stuff it. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 12:20
Hasn't he been releasing more and more KC stuff on streaming platforms? Time to compensate I guess, give back some of that sweet exclusivity to the hardcore fans.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 13:16
I have the original album and the first Epitaph live one, and I think that's more than enough from this line-up, great as it is. For what I could see, it's just more of the same. Now, if there was an early version of the In the Wake of Poseidon song with this line-up (which I believe wasn't ever recorded so, I guess it didn't even exist in paper) then I would be all for having it, but that's all. Now, perhaps what I do should get is the Giles, Giles and Fripp album, or an alternate or BBC or something... I believe there was a nice version of I Talk to the Wind with some female singer around.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2020 at 13:31
Just looked it up. The set is running between $195 - $198 USD. Humorously enough, I don't think I paid that much for the 15 or so separate King Crimson studio albums I bought on CD the first go round. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 18:13
Cat food, cat food , again...... yawn Confused
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 20:13

I can get behind the live stuff. That band was pretty on fire. 

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 20:14
I'm not sure why that came out bold. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 08:31
If it weren't so expensive, I would buy it just to gain insight into how the seminal prog album ITCOTCK arose from nothingness into the historical classic that it is. That's what the whole box set is about, after all. It's a documentary -- not a collection of greatest hits. Maybe I'll ask for it for Xmas.
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 15:23
That "some female singer" is Judy Dyble, who just passed away. 
PROGMATIC
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 15:25
Too much of too similar for me. However, if there are significant differences in the various live performances this could be interesting. I seriously doubt that is the case. A buddy of mine was complaining of the incessant KC live releases and that he would like to hear something new. I concur. But Fripp is not the only elder of Prog to repackage, release and re-release old material. I find this marginally better than last year's mass release of EPs. Personally, I have little interest in remixes (remasters are okay if there is significant improvement in the sound), but I can see how some would enjoy that.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 07:51
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Too right. I particularly hated that bit where Robert Fripp came to my house with a gun and made me order all those huge box sets even though I didn't want them. It was a lot of money, but otherwise he was going to shoot my cat.

Bob does that a lot. Gun in hand. What a monster!!!
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply