Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mellotron and Moog synthesizer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paganinio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mellotron and Moog synthesizer
    Posted: September 04 2020 at 01:41
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what is special about Mellotron and Moog synthesizer that makes them popular among prog rock keyboardists. Were they simply the dominating keyboards on the market around 60s/70s?
I hear that the 2005 Opeth album uses the Mellotron. Is that the exact same Mellotron that was used in the 60s/70s? This makes things harder to understand. Shouldn't there be a newer, more advanced product that hit the market? It's been at least 40 years (1960s - 2005).

It seems that this type of things happen quite a few times throughout history. In the 80s there was a product called The Roland TR-808 drum machine, which was also dominating the market. Is the case of Mellotron and Moog synthesizer similar to this?
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 03:24
The mellotron was invented so that you could record string arrangements without actually having to contract groups of well payed musicians. Behind every note is a little tape (max 8 seconds I believe) of a recording of - for instance - three cello's. This allowed the early prog musicians to expand their vision of rock: they could now use these low-fi string sounds to create epic and melancholy arrangements (without having to hire orchestra's). There's actually no symphony orchestra in a symphonic rock band ;).

The moog on the other hand creates single lead tones (never chords) that could be tweaked endlessly to create many new lead or bass sounds. There are also some famous melody effects that can only be created on a moog; for instance when notes gradually shift in pitch from one to another.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 03:32
The original Mellotron was a notoriously unreliable instrument especially on the road but it does have a unique sound that kind of defines prog in a way (think the ending of Genesis' "Seven Stones"). They could get that orchestral and choral sound but couldn't be used for doing fast solos.
I would think there must be a more reliable way of getting the same sound now (you could sample the intro to Watcher of the Skies!) but maybe Opeth wanted to go for realism?

Edited by chopper - September 04 2020 at 03:33
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 03:46
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

The moog on the other hand creates single lead tones (never chords) that could be tweaked endlessly to create many new lead or bass sounds. 

There is a Polymoog as well.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 06:08
There are newer Mellotron versions out there, see: Mellotron M4000.
It's not used as prominently these days as it used to be, but I remember a 100% mellotron album recorded by Mike Dickson in mid-2000s made with new gear, so it's entirely possible. I bet there were numerous enthusiasts who either built a mellotron copy themselves or ordered such an instrument at specialized workshop (I believe there are some in Great Britain).

Not to mention you can these fantastic sounds with PC/Mac and software or countless synthesizers. Unfortunately I'm not a keyboard player so can't give you specifics, but bottom line is, there is no need to buy an ancient mellotron built in 1969, you have multiple options.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 08:15
The song Dirge by Welcome is one of the best examples of both the Minimoog and Mellotron in action.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 08:18
 As someone else stated, there are more reliable ways to get most of the sound with modern instruments and plugins like the M4000D keyboard and the M-Tron plugin. Both which contain essentially every sound ever created by Mellotron and Chamberlin (precursor to the mellotron). However, it is impossible to recreate the exact sound of the original instruments because the newer versions are samplers and play a recorded version of the sound of the original instrument. They don’t yield the idiosyncrasies and imperfections of actually playing the originals so it gives it a sort Of too-clean, dead sound. That’s why you have bands like Wobbler choosing the full analog approach of using the old instruments to get the real sound. 

As for the ‘why?” I think you can hear why. The mellotron provides a thick, rich, lush sound that adds a beautiful, dark quality to the music. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 08:43
I got Arturia's Mellotron VST last year and I've been trying not to put it in every song since Tongue I absolutely love the instrument, it has that beatiful and mysterious vibe and it blends so well in the mix with other instruments.Regarding the cleanliness of the sound, I recently used the technique used by King Crimson and Genesis, playing the Mellotron through an amp and recording with a condenser microphone in an echoey room, and it worked wonderfully.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 09:19
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

As someone else stated, there are more reliable ways to get most of the sound with modern instruments and plugins like the M4000D keyboard and the M-Tron plugin. Both which contain essentially every sound ever created by Mellotron and Chamberlin (precursor to the mellotron). However, it is impossible to recreate the exact sound of the original instruments because the newer versions are samplers and play a recorded version of the sound of the original instrument. They don’t yield the idiosyncrasies and imperfections of actually playing the originals so it gives it a sort Of too-clean, dead sound. That’s why you have bands like Wobbler choosing the full analog approach of using the old instruments to get the real sound. 

As for the ‘why?” I think you can hear why. The mellotron provides a thick, rich, lush sound that adds a beautiful, dark quality to the music. 
The defining characteristic of the mellotron is that it fails to reproduce the warmth of the instruments that it was sampled from. Particularly with strings, so it's the cold, icy tone that attracts people. Some mellotron patches (digital samples take from mellotrons) do have the cold factor while some do not.

Edited by SteveG - September 04 2020 at 10:54
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 10:05
Although the Mellotron is well known for it's up front sound in classic progressive rock albums. It was also widely used in RnB and soul studios as well. On many RnB hits, the Mellotron is pushed to the background and coated with just enough reverb that it does sound very much like strings.
A friend of mine had the thankless job of repairing Isaac Hayes' Mellotron. Hayes, of course, was a producer for many pop RnB hits.

In progressive rock, the Mellotron did not so much imitate strings, but instead was used to sound like its own unique instrument, giving songs a certain science fiction or fantasy mystique.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 10:51
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Although the Mellotron is well known for it's up front sound in classic progressive rock albums. It was also widely used in RnB and soul studios as well. On many RnB hits, the Mellotron is pushed to the background and coated with just enough reverb that it does sound very much like strings.
A friend of mine had the thankless job of repairing Isaac Hayes' Mellotron. Hayes, of course, was a producer for many pop RnB hits.

In progressive rock, the Mellotron did not so much imitate strings, but instead was used to sound like its own unique instrument, giving songs a certain science fiction or fantasy mystique.
"Right" said Fred. The mellotron was used much more for genres outside of prog, but it's prog that made it famous. ‘Kashmir’ by Zep is one of my non-prog favorites.

Edited by SteveG - September 04 2020 at 12:04
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 11:19
At the time, these instruments had sounds and tones like nothing else available that were easy to access. The Moog may have been a synthesizer, but it was analog and sounds very different from more recent digital devices. To use an old model mellotron is to get a type of sound that the new models cannot fully replicate. To use one is to get a particular retro sound. Musicians then as now were attracted to new technologies and the moog and mellotron were new at one time. Their unique characteristics helped facilitate the way the music sounds and feels.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:13
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm wondering what is special about Mellotron and Moog synthesizer that makes them popular among prog rock keyboardists.

Short/long answer: They sound f*****g cool!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:47
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

"Right" said Fred. The mellotron was used much more for genres outside of prog, but it's prog that made it famous. ‘Kashmir’ by Zep is one of my non-prog favorites.

Pretty sure Kashmir used real strings. I think The Rain Song used mellotron. Though it might have used real strings, too. The live version definitely has JPJ using a mellotron.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:51
^ The studio version of Kashmir had a combination of strings, horns and mellotron, added by JPJ, as it just didn't sound "creepy" enough.

Edited by SteveG - September 04 2020 at 12:52
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:55

^ The studio version of Kashmir had a combination of strings, horns and mellotron, added by JPJ, as it just didn't sound "creepy" enough.

Got it. I imagine The Rain Song did much the same.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 13:40
I started using GForce's M-Tron Pro VST this year. One of the neat features I found with this software is that when pressing a key on my MIDI keyboard controller, the sound ends after 8 seconds, just like the original machine did when the tape ended playback. I think this only works on the tape banks they sampled from a Mellotron they own. The software comes with other presets that take it beyond what the original could do. It's pretty cool and I haven't really devoted the time I need to really play with this.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 16:36
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Shouldn't there be a newer, more advanced product that hit the market? It's been at least 40 years (1960s - 2005).

In addition to different Mellotron emulations as many people have pointed out, a lot of keyboards have been made to fill its place. Even as early as the mid-70s, there were polyphonic synths designed specifically to emulate string sounds; and keyboardists were happy to ditch the Mellotron and move to something lighter and more reliable. As technology has advanced - polyphonic synths, FM synthesis, digital sampling, etc - people have been using it to do what the Mellotron intended to do; bring the sounds of orchestral instruments to the keyboard. In many ways, they have been superior to the Mellotron, but a lot of the quirky things about the Tron (that drove some prog musicians mad...) are what people fell in love with, hence some trying to emulate it, or seek out the vintage thing.

By the way, according to Planet Mellotron, Opeth used Mellotron samples for the most part, but sought out the real thing for the Heritage and In Cauda Venenum albums. One was a Mk VI which came out in 99, the other was an M400 which was the 70s model.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 18:14
The ARP Odyssey (used by Triumvirat's Jurgen Fritz) and the Solina String Ensemble do what the Mellotron can do, minus the 8-second duration.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 21:24

Hi,

The Moody Blues almost lived and died by the mellotron! In fact, when I saw them at the old Forum in LA there were some problems with it and it was definitely a bit out of tune ... but Mike Pinder made it work.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>