Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

August 2020 Recommendation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: August 2020 Recommendation Thread
    Posted: September 04 2020 at 05:52
TCat has released his monthly New Releases thread for August 2020.  https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123940&PID=5801920#5801920">https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123940&PID=5801920#5801920

To try something new, I have decided to start this discussion thread.  As you listen to these new albums, post your thoughts and recommendations here in this thread.  If you listen to an album and hear a song that you think that should be highlighted, talk about it, or maybe post a YouTube video to share it.  Just trying to create some new and interesting discussions about some of the great new music that is being released.  

As a start, I have listened to the new Deep Purple album Whoosh! and although many of the members have changed, in my opinion they have delivered an album that is a nice edition to their legacy.  For me the highlight tune is Nothing At All, which you can listen to here.

And in case that video doesn't work for you, here is one that doesn't work for me, but might work for you.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 04 2020 at 05:58
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 06:34
^ Nice song. I liked the interplay between the guitar and organ but found the rhythm section too static. I'm sure it's a treat to long-time fans but there's a lot of their back catalogue I don't know.

From this month I very much liked Kashgar's "Artefact". I discovered it through a mild review here but the description appealed to me, kind of early Santana with World music vibes. Recommended for Hammond enthusiasts like myself.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 07:26
I like it!  That's awesome! Thank you for sharing.  That is exactly the kind of input I am looking for.  I would probably never had gotten around to hearing that song or band.  
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 13:58
Great idea Scott!  Let's keep this moving.  It might take a few months, but if we keep pushing it, we might get more people involved.  

One of my favorite band's is Ulver, so it's great to see another album from them..."Flowers of Evil"  "Nostalgia is one of the singles from the album, and it is definintely following in the same pop-vein as the previous album, but Garm's vocals have never sounded better.  There is some nice atmospheric guitar work towards the end.

Ulver - "Nostalgia"

The Fall of Troy is a band I've been following a bit as of lately, and even though I don't always like the vocals because they have that "bratty" feel to them at times, I do appreciate their music.  On the track "Mirrors are More Fun than Television" from their new album "Mulkiltearth", the vocals and music works together to move from an almost innocent sound to a harsher sound as the music builds and then settles back down by the ending.  Again, the vocals sound a bit immature, but actually sound better when the singer approaches an almost "screamo" attitude towards the end.  The music itself, though, is quite mature sounding and has that hard alternative edge to it.

Edited by TCat - September 04 2020 at 14:24

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 14:10
I always love to hear where the old bands are going and, even though it is a bit polished, the Deep Purple track is actually quite good, especially the instrumental work as meltdowner mentioned.  

Kashgar's "Artefact" is a bit more my style, an exciting instrumental that has that nice retro sound, yet still remains relevant.  This is one I would like to get on vinyl, at least from the impression I get from this track.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 14:49
I have to second the Deep Purple recommendation. I just ordered Whoosh so I can give it a proper listen. An initial online listen had me leaning to a 3.50 rating, maybe higher. Their previous three albums have been solid releases.

Funny story about the title: When I was back in college, me and my two buddies used to holler out the word "whoosh" when we were walking around on campus at night. From a distance, we sounded like a herd of cows mooing. For that alone, I need to get this album.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 18:08
Speaking of pants, I must give a shout out for the new Superluminal Pachyderm album "Subfield Pipe", now available on microfiche!

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 19:38
I liked the tracks from Ulver and The Fall of Troy.  I agree that the Ulver song has a poppiness but that is not a problem for me.  I've never really looked into Ulver. I once heard one of their earlier albums played at a record store, but I recall it being much heavier than this.   The Fall of Troy sort of reminded me a bit of Coheed.  Probably, the "bratty" vocals as you called them.  
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 01:10
Good thread indeed!
Jaga Jazzist have released another great album, it's quite different than everything that came before, their mix of organic and electronic sounds is still intact only this time the album is much calmer and easier full of beautiful subtleties. I thought it was a little boring at first but it definitely grew on me and it's a beautiful album.

Here's the most upbeat track from it

Edited by Sagichim - September 05 2020 at 01:15
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 02:25
Jaga Jazzist was indeed a very nice surprise
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 08:14
I ordered the  Jaga Jazzist CD from them yesterday off of Bandcamp for their monthly Friday special where all proceeds go to the artist.  I am looking forward to hearing this one.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 08:31
Jaga Jazzist is the only one I got in August, I agree that its very different, it will take a few more listens to see if it stacks up with their previous releases. I tend to like the higher energy stuff so we'll see.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 09:30
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I liked the tracks from Ulver and The Fall of Troy.  I agree that the Ulver song has a poppiness but that is not a problem for me.  I've never really looked into Ulver. I once heard one of their earlier albums played at a record store, but I recall it being much heavier than this.   The Fall of Troy sort of reminded me a bit of Coheed.  Probably, the "bratty" vocals as you called them.  

The thing about Ulver is each album is it's own sound.  It is very difficult to pinpoint this band, but everytime they do something different, they do it quite well.  Yes they started out as a lo-fi black/death metal band, but they have delved deeply into electronic, soundtracks, ambient, drone and post rock, but almost always have an experimental feel to them.  Each album is quite an experience, but I recommend the albums "Perdition City" and "Blood Inside" as their albums to start with.

Edited by TCat - September 05 2020 at 09:32

PT2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PT2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 20:36
Here is the title track from the new PYRAMID THEOEREM record. I would love to hear what you all think!

Edited by PT2112 - September 05 2020 at 20:47
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:03
I love the Deep Purple album , my album of the year so far

I've just received Rikard Sjoblom's Gungfly and Pineapple Thief's through the post along with Simon Collins (son of Phil!) latest album so will give my opinion on those later.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:36
THiS IS AWESOME! (Too bad it's just for collabs.) (or is it???)

Any TIGER MOTH TALES release by Peter Jones is well worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyEl_58Tb2Q&ab_channel=chrismagenta

I also love the eclectic TELERGY concept album, Black Swallow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrTDUS3jiSw&ab_channel=RobertMcClung

(Sorry my YouTube linking capacity doesn't seem to work these days. Hope the old-fashioned cut-n-paste the link addresses will work for you.)

Edited by BrufordFreak - September 06 2020 at 09:36
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:40
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Good thread indeed!
Jaga Jazzist have released another great album, it's quite different than everything that came before, their mix of organic and electronic sounds is still intact only this time the album is much calmer and easier full of beautiful subtleties. I thought it was a little boring at first but it definitely grew on me and it's a beautiful album.

Here's the most upbeat track from it

Sounds surprisingly retro! Like New Wave or Kraftwerk!

Drew Fisher
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:41
Aside from my own Telergy find, I'm only attracted to the Pyramid Theorem stuff so far. But, KEEP TRYING!!! I'm excited for this!

Edited by BrufordFreak - September 06 2020 at 09:42
Drew Fisher
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:47
Both the Jaga Jazzist track and the Pyramid Theorem tracks are pretty good, however, they may require more listens in order to rise above similar sounding music under their respective genres.

If Drew's link didn't work for you, here is Tiger Moth Tales "Don't Let Go".  As usual, his vocals and keyboard work is quite amazing.

And here is a link that worked for me for the Telergy - "Georgia" track.  I'm listening to this now and it's quite an amazing combination of americana, heavy prog and a bit of symphonic.  Love this one.

Edited by TCat - September 06 2020 at 09:54

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:57
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

THiS IS AWESOME! (Too bad it's just for collabs.) (or is it???)

Thanks Drew!  It's a great way to review the new releases and a great idea from Scott.  

Of course this is for everyone, not just collabs.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>