Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

August 2020 Recommendation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 11:23
This one from BUILT FOR THE FUTURE is pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9I9sBqrq2A&ab_channel=BuiltfortheFuture

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 11:26
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Speaking of pants, I must give a shout out for the new Superluminal Pachyderm album "Subfield Pipe", now available on microfiche!

Some day I hope to be available on aperture cards. Pants are just one of those themes that's part of the universe's structure. They can't be escaped.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 11:31
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Good thread indeed!
Jaga Jazzist have released another great album, it's quite different than everything that came before, their mix of organic and electronic sounds is still intact only this time the album is much calmer and easier full of beautiful subtleties. I thought it was a little boring at first but it definitely grew on me and it's a beautiful album.

Here's the most upbeat track from it

I just listened to this album this morning. That track was enjoyable. I really liked the second track, Spiral Era. I'll have to listen to some more albums from this group. I wish I could make time stop so that I can listen to all this stuff!
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 17:48
Originally posted by PT2112 PT2112 wrote:

Here is the title track from the new PYRAMID THEOEREM record. I would love to hear what you all think!

I gave this a listen a couple of nights ago.  I quite liked it.  There were some Rush-isms that I quite enjoyed.  Kind of a Canadian trio of Rush meets Devy meets Voivod with maybe a bit of Ayreon thrown in for good measure.  Listening to the full album now on Spotify...so hopefully you make 4 or 5 cents off of it or whatever the going rate is.  Ouch
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 08:29
Pyramid Theorem is one that is definitely growing on me.  It's a band that is now on my radar, for sure.  The band members are also quite amicable.  They have a huge love for their art and it shows.

Edited by TCat - September 11 2020 at 08:30

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 14:39
Anyone listen to the new Tangent album Auto-Reconnaissance yet?  I've given a couple of listens on Spotify.  I'm not sure that I like it as much as I liked their earlier albums, but I will be giving it some more listens and hope that it grows on me.  
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 17:06
I enjoyed the Ulver song, as I also enjoyed their album "the assassination of julius caesar" or something like that.  They have a vibe that reminds me of early SIMPLE MINDS.  Am I allowed to post a clip of any newish release or does it have to meet certain criteria?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 17:14
We're trying to stick to the new releases from August 2020 listed in the thread that TCat created, but that being said, since this is the first month we are doing it I don't see any harm in posting a clip from something else released earlier in the year.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 17:41
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Anyone listen to the new Tangent album Auto-Reconnaissance yet?  I've given a couple of listens on Spotify.  I'm not sure that I like it as much as I liked their earlier albums, but I will be giving it some more listens and hope that it grows on me.  

Just listened to it today (despite my increasing disappointment with Andy/The Tangent's work in the past decade). It's nothing I'd want to recommend or promote. (So I won't).
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 18:00
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

This one from BUILT FOR THE FUTURE is pretty cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9I9sBqrq2A&ab_channel=BuiltfortheFuture

Good song.  The song Planet came up on YouTube after Zenith played, and I really liked that one too.  Trying to think who they remind me of...I think vocally they remind me of the Talking Heads.  I read their website and it mentioned their love for 80's Rush, Yes, and Genesis plus Tears for Fears and The Fixx.   I think that those are who they reminded me of too. 

Edited by rushfan4 - September 12 2020 at 18:17
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 14:50
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Good thread indeed!
Jaga Jazzist have released another great album, it's quite different than everything that came before, their mix of organic and electronic sounds is still intact only this time the album is much calmer and easier full of beautiful subtleties. I thought it was a little boring at first but it definitely grew on me and it's a beautiful album.

Here's the most upbeat track from it

Giving this album a first listen now.  Three songs in and I am enjoying it with the track that you listed still to go. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 15:19
I listened to Marquette's three songs from Into the Wild listed on YouTube.  Portrait of Men was decent, the instrumental Alexander Supertramp was really good, but my favorite was Criminal Kind.

Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:47
The new Motorpsycho album is quite good too, my favorite from them since Behind The Sun.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 08:04
The new LogoS is as good as its rating indicates...if not better.
The Prog Corner
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 10:13
I'm listening to the Tiger Moth Tales' new release Still Alive/A Visit to Rockfield.  Peter Jones has such a good, clear voice.  It is kind of nice to listen to someone sing and be able to understand most of what they are saying. 

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 01:52
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

It has had very positive feedback in the Tangent FB group but I'm going to go out on a limb as well and say I prefer some of their earlier stuff. Still good though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12