Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant-like band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Giant-like band?
    Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:50
I know Echolyn and their GG's influences well but I'd like to know more bands inspired by them, dot you knwo some?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:53
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I know Echolyn and their GG's influences well but I'd like to know more bands inspired by them, dot you knwo some?

Quebecois band Et Cetera. They only had one album released in 76 and it's a killer. Very GG.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:53
GG not (good) enough for you, you need imitators? 

They even influenced Spock's Beard. Even Haken who were (jokingly) nick-named Djentle Djiant. LOL
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 05:14
Spock’s beard have been the closest I’ve heard. And do a fantastic job of it too.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 05:22
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Even Haken who were (jokingly) nick-named Djentle Djiant. LOL

The fact that my brain never came up with this is unsettling to me, lmao LOL.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 07:01
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:02
New Jersey band ADVENT did two credible albums in the 21st Century, 2006's Cantus Firmus and 2015's The Silent Sentinel. Not quite as complex or compact as GG, but definitely in that ballpark.

(I don't think these uploads will work, so just search for yourself on YouTube. All songs of both albums are available there.)

Also, MOON SAFARI's Blomljud contains a lot of "GG-Lite"-like music--especially the vocals.

Edited by BrufordFreak - September 06 2020 at 09:14
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 11:58
Yezda Urfa is often like Gentle Giant on steroids (with Yes-like voice and atmosphere). Agreed with SB and especially Echolyn.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 12:00
Et Cetera and Yezda Urfa are the closest ones among their contemporaries, it seems. Sure, early Yes and King Crimson and perhaps VdGG sometimes played a few notes/chords/patterns/melodies in the GG style. I remember once listening to Tarkus I've noticed a few seconds of music from Octopus (the latter was recorded later, so it's rather the other way round). 

In 1979 the Soviet folk rock band Pesniary created this song, obviously influenced by Gentle Giant. But it was one song. It was not their usual style. 

Edited by Woon Deadn - September 06 2020 at 12:00
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 14:52
Ripaille
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 23:39
Epidermis
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 02:16
For GG-worship in its purest form, including a couple of covers, the first stop is Oaksenham's Conquest of the Pacific:

There are lots of other influences in there too (feel the Kansas!) but GG is the dominant one. A very good, classy production but highly derivative.

Edited by Mascodagama - September 07 2020 at 02:16
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 03:50
I don't really agree about Spock's Beard. Yes, Thoughts I and II are GG-like. But I don't hear GG elements in their music as prevalent as Genesis, Yes, or even Rush elements. Same with Haken. A few spots here and there.

Yezda Urfa, on the other hand, IS kind of like GG on crack. Some Yes-isms, but mostly in sound rather than composition. The bassist has that Squire tone, and the singer reminds me or Trevor Horn. It kind of sounds like if Drama-era Yes got even better at playing and decided to listen to every GG album and go write a bunch of wacked out tunes.

The newer group Bubblemath reminds me of Yezda Urfa, and, by extension GG (with some Zappa thrown in).
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 08:38
I seem to remember this topic coming up before... Check out the Swedish band Ritual, and in particular their latest album The Hemulic Voluntary Band.
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 09:23
I'll second Advent. For me personally they sound too much like GG. Still a good band though and I have met some of the members. 

Ritual I like a lot and are a bit underrated these days. However, I don't remember hearing much GG in their music. I used to think parts sounded like a cross between the Flower Kings and Comus. :P They also remind me of Moon Safari at times.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 11:37
I hear a Gentle Giant influence on a number of the great 1970s Quebecois groups--Sloche, Maneige and Maelstrom especially
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 02:25
ECHOLYN

Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

stewe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 02:32
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

I seem to remember this topic coming up before... Check out the Swedish band Ritual, and in particular their latest album The Hemulic Voluntary Band.

Absolutely amazing band, forgot to mention them. Their singer/guitarist has been also singing with new version of Kaipa. Besides Hemulic Voluntary Band, I highly recommend debut and Think Like a Mountain. Gentle Giant meets folkish side of Led Zeppelin meets melodic side of Yes, with a great dose of humor. Although it has been 12 years since last album, they have been composing material for a new album, hopefully it will see a light of the world one day.

<a href="http://steveer.ic.cz" rel="nofollow"
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:02
Pingvinorkestern - "Agenten" (2010)

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:10
What about Happy the Man to my ears they incorporate some Gentle Giant elements, ala School Boys (Three Friends album, and earlier albums, the Shulman borthers era)

Edited by Icarium - September 11 2020 at 10:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>