Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Giant-like band?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by martinprog77 martinprog77 wrote:

ECHOLYN

Nah, only a bit on as the world but that's about it.
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gully Foyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:18
A second on the Et Cetera album - a killer record for sure, one of the great unknowns
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

A second on the Et Cetera album - a killer record for sure, one of the great unknowns

It's probably not any more unknown than all the other unknown albums which makes up about 98 percent of prog.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:31
Anakdota - "The Girl Next Door" (2013)

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 01:23
FSB are a Bulgarian band whose debut album (released in '77 or thereabouts) was entirely instrumental and consisted of one half original compositions and one half Gentle Giant covers (I know, strange). But it's interesting to hear if you like GG!
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 03:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

ECHOLYN

They made several references to them in each of their albums, especially in Mei and Suffocate The Bloom.
In Mei, we can hear : "Out here there could be giants
I want to walk in their shade"
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 06:24
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blaqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 12:27

I just listened to two tracks by ET CETERA, band suggested here and I concur. Even the singing sounds GG. It is as if the nostalgic GG Pantagruel decided to return home.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 13:46
I was reminded of Terreno Baldio this morning, considered by many the Brazilian Gentle Giant, and their first album is really great.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 14:11
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

ECHOLYN

They made several references to them in each of their albums, especially in Mei and Suffocate The Bloom.
In Mei, we can hear : "Out here there could be giants
I want to walk in their shade"

Maybe but I was referring to musically not lyrically. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 20:56
There was a band called Land of Chocolate, whose leader is Jonn Buzby, brother of Christopher Buzby of Echolyn.  They released two albums in the earlier 2000's and sound quite a bit like Echolyn.  The reviews on their albums mention Gentle Giant as a reference also, so you might enjoy them.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 20:58
I'm by no means an expert on Gentle Giant, but the vocal style on this new song from Nick D'Virgilio reminds me of a Gentle Giant style. Admittedly, it might just be me, but give it a listen and see what you think.

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 11:19
Originally posted by softandwet softandwet wrote:

I know Echolyn and their GG's influences well but I'd like to know more bands inspired by them, dot you knwo some?

The Tea Club
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 12:08
Advent - "In The Tree" (1997)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 00:14
The main riff from this one always reminded me a bit of The Boys in The Band/Knots/Cogs in Cogs, etc.:

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:57
SAGA has consistently given credit to Gentle Giant as being one of their major influences, although this can only be heard in bits and pieces on their first four albums.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 12:52
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/terramystic/gentle_giant_and_influenced_artists/
Bumped into this yesterday...personally I have only heard a handful of those bands.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 23 2020 at 12:53
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 12:56
Hi,

My ears must be getting old ... I listened to all the bits posted and the only one that came close to me to "sounding" like GG, is ADVENT ... and in many ways they actually also sounded more like some of the CANTERBURY stuff as well, a nice combination actually.

All in all, I think that what GG did was based on a lot of free form stuff and improvisation, and the manner in which they worked together ... like one brother making fun of a song bit and they end up using it together ... usually fun stuff that is not always seen or thought of.

I think of some of the things that GG does as simply "fun stuff" ... as if it were satirizing a lot of the music around them, specially pop music ... and then they use some Rabelais, who was known to write satires that were considered grotesque and songs that were ... we call them "nasty" nowadays, but they would be "naughty" in English words, and I don't have the French word for it. That suggests that their total attitude towards music, was almost a complete reaction to the teaching they were getting in school about music ... and made fun of it, and guess what ... it stuck! But they knew how and what they did and were able to do it again and again for many albums.

A lot of the things mentioned here, don't quite make it for me ... there is no "drive" like GG had, to be able to put together something different ... most of the stuff listed was based on riffs and material that has been done before ... and a very obvious lack of imagination when all one can do is "copy" or "emulate" someone else ... and not realize that the history of music is almost the opposite ... the war against the school and the teachings ... and the creation of something new! 

I didn't see that "revolution", or "revolt" in almost all of the material listed. I will reserve comment on ECHOLYN since I was familiar with it 20 years ago ... and I found it ... a good listen!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 13:22
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/terramystic/gentle_giant_and_influenced_artists/
Bumped into this yesterday...personally I have only heard a handful of those bands.

Wow. Calling Echolyn the american GG is really overstating it. Imo, if anyone is the american GG it is Advent.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 16:16
I know that the French Canadian band Et Cetera was mentioned in the first response as it is an obvious one to those that know of it, but here is a track:

And if you like that, while I wouldn't say it's like GG, you might like Eskaton. Or maybe it's just me.

By the way, about 15 years ago I purchased an album by Spock's Beard because I'd read that the band was similar to and influenced by Gentle Giant and I was VERY into GG at the time, and boy was I disappointed. The album I bought was Snow.

Miriodor seems to capture much of what I liked so much about GG (rather like Henry Cow meets GG in various music).

Soon after trying Spock's Beard I discovered Miriodor, and it hit that quirky and adventurous spot I liked so much more, and that led me to check out lots of Avant Prog.

Edited by Logan - September 23 2020 at 16:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>