Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deep Purple vs Kansas

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [53.16%]
28 [35.44%]
8 [10.13%]
1 [1.27%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep Purple vs Kansas
    Posted: September 06 2020 at 09:35
With me you get more variety not just the same old binary options crap. Tongue

Anyway, I had thought about this for a while. I don't think it's been done yet and if it has I didn't see it. And no I wasn't thinking about how Steve Morse played in both bands when I first thought of doing it. That is just a coincidence.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 06 2020 at 09:36
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 11:14
Deep Purple

I do love Kansas, even most of their 80s work. Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 11:58
I enjoy both, but I prefer Ritchie's post-Purple band, Rainbow (the first three albums with Dio). 

I'm a Kansas fan. Kansas was a prog band before their shift to AOR, and Deep Purple was and is a hard rock band. It's perfectly okay to like both.

The guy who made Purple interesting for me was Jon Lord. Take Jon Lord out of the equation and DP is a much, much less interesting band. Sorry, but it's true. Jon Lord was awesome!

Edited by verslibre - September 06 2020 at 13:30
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 13:10
I love both, but Deep Purple was my first favorite band so I voted for them.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 13:15
Two of the most important bands ever for me. I loved deep purple first, but Kansas’s influence on me is far beyond that of any other band ever. Changed my life, and only one of these bands made song for America and Journey from Mariabronn. Back in early high school I used to play machine head, in rock and burn daily, but the vote has to go to Kansas who I still listen to regularly.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 14:26
I don't really get this poll. Purple to me are a great hard rock band and Kansas are a prog/ aor band.
Still I voted for Purple because of in rock which is a milestone rock album up there with led zep 2 and black sabbath. Kansas are a fine band though.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 15:10
Without much thinking Purple win for me. When I heard their "In Rock" in the year of 1981 or 1982 I was taken aback. It was like storm for me then... They influenced my young years immensely and though I don't listen to them regularly today I love them anyway. Especially for their 70's works. It's nothing against Kansas (I listen to them much more frequently last few years comparing to DP).
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 15:23
Apple and orange...

I mean both are delicious.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 15:43
I'm more of a Kansas fan so voted for them but I like DP quite a bit too.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 16:32
Deep Purple--not a huge fan of Kansas---might be the vocals.
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 17:17
I do love Kansas, but Deep Purple.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 19:17
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

I don't really get this poll. Purple to me are a great hard rock band and Kansas are a prog/ aor band.
Still I voted for Purple because of in rock which is a milestone rock album up there with led zep 2 and black sabbath. Kansas are a fine band though.

Bands don't have to be similar to go up against eachother in a poll. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 19:29
Kansas.............other than Blackmore, an excellent guitarist, DP  never impressed me. Some  good tracks here and there but imho considering the talent of Blackmore and Lord...a batch of mediocre albums and songs.
PA has Kansas rated /voted at four 4 star albums with DP at only 2. And the later recent Kansas things are far more interesting for me than DP .

Interestingly vocals were mentioned above as a reason for liking DP more.....I liked Rod Evans (Captian Beyond's first lp is better imho than anything DP did) better than Gillan who's  high pitched wails were annoying . And Walsh was a great vocalist in his prime on the early Kansas lp's.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 06 2020 at 19:39
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 19:58
Deep Purple, pretty much enjoy everything about them more than Kansas, the guitar, the keys, the vocals, the tunes. The run of In Rock to Burn are landmarks in the development of Hard Rock and Metal.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Booba Kastorsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booba Kastorsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 20:37
Deep Purple for me, because I discovered them when I was a teenager, so they left very deep impression. I still think that Machine Head is one of the best rock albums of all time, and Made in Japan is the best live rock album. Not too much prog per see in their music, but they are clearly influenced the entire prog metal genre. 
I discovered Kansas much later, as a mature person, so it didn't impress me as much as music that I listened when I was a teenager. They recorded a lot of excellent and good songs that I like, but in my opinion DP is simply in a different, higher league. Not to mention they classic line-up are all star musicians. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 20:47
DP, but pretty much a pass all around 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 23:41
Different bands, but I like them equally, so that's the way i voted.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 05:57
Funny how The Concerto For Group And Orchestra (especially the second one) and The Gemini Suite get forgotten about so easily. Not to mention the highly original instrumental work (Wring That Neck, Mandrake Root etc usw) that left pretenders to the throne, if there were any, in the dust. And we've not even got around to the moments when this band that had possibly one of the top two singers in rock (sic).
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 07:20
Both bands are great, and I really enjoy their music, but I'll give the edge to Deep Purple, for very personal reasons.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 00:13
both equally and also I love both their recent albums equally.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>