Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

king crimson ( in the wake of the poseidon)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: king crimson ( in the wake of the poseidon)
    Posted: September 08 2020 at 15:37
A lot of the critics of this album find it a almost a mirror, COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING ,upon the 40th anniversary edition series ,i now realize what a gem of album it was, not a retread of court, altough there are similarities in sounds but they are many stand alone original songs, PEACE- A BEGINNING ,CATFOOD the epic THE DEVIL,S TRIANGLE(PARTS 1,2 and 3) the bonus b -side GROON is included very jazzy workout, the solo PEACE - A THEME robert fripp fingerpicking is amazing.My favorite track is CADENCE AND CASCADE. Hopefully my brief overview can give kc fans a second look ,what a brillant album it was thanks for taking the time to read grant.

Edited by grantman - September 08 2020 at 17:50
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 16:32
Starts off promisingly, as Pictures Of A City could definitely hold its own against its companion piece on ITCOTCK but I can not say the same of the other songs on side 1. Side 2 more than makes up for it though: "Cat Food" and especially "The Devil's Triangle" are daring tours-de-force that helped push the band's boundaries in its early days and proved that they wouldn't be content with just banking on past successes and remaining in one established niche (both tracks are also standout moments for the recently deceased Keith Tippett). "Groon" is great too; shame that it didn't make the original cut. Not a perfect album but I still like it a lot, a solid 4 out of 5 from me.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 18:07
I stopped listening to critics ,some things like this album is a matter of personal taste.i put off buying the album for years, because of the reviews, same with LIZARD, but one time a brought a earlier bootleg live cd ,the sound was just awful. LIZARD altough no masterpiece as far as im concerned, was not all that bad at all grant
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 04:00
This album still puts me to sleep!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 04:37
Love this album. I generally listen to it more often than the debut.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 09:11
I like it but prefer side 1.  I would rather listen to "Cadence.." and the title track over their counterparts ("I Talk.." and "Epitaph") on the first album, not to say I think they are better.  "Pictures" is ok.  "Cat Food" is good but shows their tendency to novelty songs that would continue for a couple of albums.  They don't wear well for me.  "Devil's Triangle" is interesting but could have been much better.  I think Fripp cobbled together ideas that McDonald had left behind.  He wasn't quite ready to put out a new album.  Still, genius is genius, it juist doesn't always make for a personal favourite
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 10:38
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

This album still puts me to sleep!

That's how I feel about all of Oldfield's stuff,,,,,

LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 10:40
Fine LP....side one is better.

Once again ...all KC is good...some is just better than others.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 15:21
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Fine LP....side one is better.

Once again ...all KC is good...some is just better than others.

very wise dr wu, kc can be patchy but the gems when heard are superb.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 16:29
I like the title track a lot. I think it's a great example of early symphonic rock/prog. The whole album is good and no noodling like 85 percent of moonchild. The devil's triangle is something that I didn't really get at first until I read somewhere that it is supposed to be a deconstruction of sounds. If you think of it as music falling apart it works. I like how the song "court" is embedded at the end. They must have got that idea from Simon and Garfunkel who did the same thing in one of their songs. Wink

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 09 2020 at 16:34
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 16:34
I have two qualms, one minor and one substantial, with ITWOP.

Minor qualm: the title track has an awfully similar melody and chord progression to Epitaph, but both of them are so enjoyable that it's hard for me to hold this against the record (I might even prefer In The Wake Of Poseidon).

Substantial qualm: The Devil's Triangle does very little for me. I can appreciate what they were going for, but it just isn't particularly pleasant to listen to to my ears. That it takes up the majority of side 2 and even acts as a finale of sorts before the final Peace iteration seems unfortunate to me. This is pretty much my number one reason for ranking it lower than all the other 70s KC albums. Side one, Cat Food, and the Peace bits are excellent though.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 00:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Love this album. I generally listen to it more often than the debut.

ditto , its just a much more ballsy album. I love the live sounding feel to it. The debut is just 'nice' and 'nice' doesn't always cut it!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 13:43
I don't really like it so much. It's not so much that it mirrors the previous album, but that every single song is less enjoyable to me. The only song I really like on this album is the title track... I still like Epitaph better, but ItWoP is just a great song anyway.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 16:14
How can anyone not like an album with a song called "cat food" on it? Tongue
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 16:31
The weakest album of the classic period.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 22:26
Easily their worst album imo. After Cadence and Cascade it just falls off a cliff, side two is just unlistenable to me.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 04:55
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Substantial qualm: The Devil's Triangle does very little for me. I can appreciate what they were going for, but it just isn't particularly pleasant to listen to to my ears. That it takes up the majority of side 2 and even acts as a finale of sorts before the final Peace iteration seems unfortunate to me. This is pretty much my number one reason for ranking it lower than all the other 70s KC albums. Side one, Cat Food, and the Peace bits are excellent though.

I really can't appreciate those Peace interludes, though. They might've included them as a whole 4-mins multi-movement suite, though. As for the Holst remake, I don't find it very pleasant. They had other stuff to select from they played on stage with the MkI line-up tours.

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't really like it so much. It's not so much that it mirrors the previous album, but that every single song is less enjoyable to me. The only song I really like on this album is the title track... I still like Epitaph better, but ItWoP is just a great song anyway.

I'd agree that C&C and Poseidon are less enjoyable than their counterparts. Pictures hammers too much on Schzoid, but present an OK alternative version of it. However, Cat Food is simply awesome, and I think CD reissues should've included Groon.

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

The weakest album of the classic period.

Well it does fight for the last place with Islands (another album short of fresh ideas) and SaBB for sure.

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Easily their worst album imo. After Cadence and Cascade it just falls off a cliff, side two is just unlistenable to me.

They did a lot worse in the 80's and 00's (Beat & TCOL)

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 05:08
^ I actually have kind of come around to Beat, I think its a pretty decent album even if it doesn't reach great peaks. TCOL can be a headache, but there's some really solid tracks in the mix &  I can appreciate what they were going for and how it stands as a very unique album. I think Wake goes against what the band has come to stand for and that is always progressing and pushing themselves to sound different album to album (which is something I think any good prog artist does). For the time it was released it was still bold, but to me it feels kinda incomplete and I attribute that to pretty much every member besides Fripp having one foot out the door.

As a side note, I actually think The Power to Believe is in the upper echelon of their albums, and I think its their most well produced album.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 12 2020 at 05:09
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 16:13
Their best album. Pics, Catfood, Cadence are 3 of Crimsons best tunes. 25% better than debut due to better production and composition. Lizard is similar but Haskell sounds horrible on games and family. Islands is ok.

Edited by dr prog - September 13 2020 at 16:17
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 19:54
the mellotron section in the middle of the title track is such a beautiful simple melody,. with really sweet acoustic guitar, but once it's done I admit I lose some interest in the song. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>