Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tormato

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nomadic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 14:06
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

It's that someone didn't tell Chris that using Bootsy's mutron/wah wah bass effect was completely over the top. Honestly, almost every track is completely overpowered by his playing. :D

As it should be. LOL I love the Mu Tron. I don't love the weird, deep chorus effect he got with the harmonizer, but it's not terrible. 

I like Tormato. It was one of my earliest Yes albums as I started digging in to their catalog around 1979. It was always in the cutout bins, so I got it cheap. So there's some nostalgia there. It resonates with me more than Oceans, Relayer, or GFTO. Definitely some "Hmm..." moments, but Future Times, Silent Wings, and DKTW are worth the price of admission for me.
http://nomadichorizonband.com
Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 17:07
I love the album personally, never occurred to me that it wasn't any good whether from production or writing. Probably hearkens back to my formative years when for me Yes could do no wrong!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 18:47
Decent album with a few really good songs. But that album cover! Where was Roger Dean? On vacation?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 20:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Decent album with a few really good songs. But that album cover! Where was Roger Dean? On vacation?

LOL

I'm not sure which one is worse Tormato or Going for the one. At least Tormato doesn't have a dude's butt on it. Wink
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2020 at 21:06
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I like it too. Arriving UFO was ahead of it's time. 

it's time?! for what? LOL
I've never understood people appreciating Arriving UFO, Madrigal and Circus of Heaven. For me these are the worst songs Yes did in the 70s. Confused
Even Silent Wings of Freedom is underworked. Very unpleasant time for the band in the recording studio and it shows. Sometimes tension can produce great albums. Not in this case.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 00:34
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I like it too. Arriving UFO was ahead of it's time

I agree. Arriving UFO is just so incredibly odd, and interesting to listen to. 
Like or hate the song, people have to at least admit that it is unique and doesn't really sound like anything else. I personally think that's a good thing, but I know others will disagree. 

So fair enough, but I still get a kick out of listening to it. It's a song you  never get bored of.

what really impresses me about that track is the attempt by White to bore a hole in his snare drum. I love it. White is on fire on that album. Snare and bass drum work is the best I've ever heard. He also carried that onto Drama which was a much tighter and better album. Tormato has it's moments but its just all over the place ideas wise and that in itself creates a bad impression.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 06:07
Very first album i had from yes ON THE SILENT WINGS OF FREEDOM best song overall one fantastic album.Agateway album for me into the world of yes. [:*:]
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 08:08
In "On The Silent Wings Of Freedom" Rick's keyboard should be the most craziest, my love.
Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 14:36
I just have a soft spot for this album. It's so quirky. Their take on punk is suitably ridiculous. Onward is nice and sweet. Arriving UFO makes Karen Carpenter seem reasonable.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 15:21
"Calling occupants of interplanetary craft!"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2020 at 17:26
Originally posted by Ghost Whistler Ghost Whistler wrote:

I just have a soft spot for this album. It's so quirky. Their take on punk is suitably ridiculous. Onward is nice and sweet. Arriving UFO makes Karen Carpenter seem reasonable.

Punk? The only thing that's kind of punk on it is "release release" which to me is actually more like Yes's take on regular rock n roll. I don't really hear much punk in it. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 03:05
I really quite like Tormato. I like the cover art, too. Going For The One has far worse cover art (and music, too, but I realise not many will agree with me there....)

My personal top five would be:

1. Tales
2. Relayer
3. Drama
4. Close
5. Tormato

So, there you go. We all like different things.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 05:15
Yeah the cover for Gft1 is rubbish.

That album has Yes at their best and worst. Not a fan of the title track.

Tormato is just a fun listen. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 09:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

It depends how much of a fan you are of drumming. White is having a whale of a time (see what I did there Smile) and it might be my favourite album for his playing. On The Silent Wings of Freedom is only any good because of the bass drum work and recalls that other famous link up track Ann Of Cleeves from Rick's Six Wives album. Just wonderfull. But also the way Alan hits the snare with so much on venom on Arriving UFO and rides the snare brilliantly on Future Times. Release Release is also superb. 
Admittedly Howe is mostly pointless on this album and Rick is in and out. Squire is okay though and Anderson is off on his usual cosmic travels. Its a messy album but it's not bad at all. 

Excellently put...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2020 at 14:11
I must say, Howe isn't mostly pointless at all. His presence is central to every track. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 02:52
^ he's playing in the spaces a lot , certainly not central though.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2020 at 03:20
Not necessarily a bad thing, Howe is a bit over the top at time.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 13:19
It's among my least favourites from the band. I guess if they were able to do greater stuff after this one, there may yet be hope for them to do something good after Heaven and Earth.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2020 at 14:03
I'm due to add Tormato to my YouTube album playlists tomorrow, so maybe I'll gain a new appreciation for the album if I can find some good videos to go with the songs. Then again, maybe I won't. Smile
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2020 at 10:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm due to add Tormato to my YouTube album playlists tomorrow, so maybe I'll gain a new appreciation for the album if I can find some good videos to go with the songs. Then again, maybe I won't. Smile

Only just adding wowLOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>