Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Later Hawkwind

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Later Hawkwind
    Posted: September 09 2020 at 12:12
I was introduced to Space Ritual when I was 16 years old. I have doubled in age since then and I still enjoy early Hawkwind. I have never really ventured beyond Warrior On The Edge Of Time, and that's not my favourite of their albums anyway, I much prefer the albums that came before. I did listen to Quark, Strangeness And Charm maybe once and I was not impressed.

Anyway, after reading some raving reviews about some live albums yesterday, I decided to give 1996's Love In Space a try. I figured it might be a proper way to get into some later Hawkwind. And holy crap that album is awesome! Is this as good as it gets, or should I pickup my Hawkwind exploring where I left it years ago?
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 14:25
i would recomend "Levitation" (1980) which had their strongest lineup feat. Tim Blake (Gong)
Ginger Baker (Cream) and the great Huw Lloyd Langton (founding member) back again.

From there I would go to "Chronicles of the Black Sword" (a Concept album about Moorcock's Elric)
Although I would prefer the enhanced live Version of that one "Live Chronicles"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 00:51
Originally posted by Tendiwa Tendiwa wrote:

I was introduced to Space Ritual when I was 16 years old. I have doubled in age since then and I still enjoy early Hawkwind. I have never really ventured beyond Warrior On The Edge Of Time, and that's not my favourite of their albums anyway, I much prefer the albums that came before. I did listen to Quark, Strangeness And Charm maybe once and I was not impressed.

Anyway, after reading some raving reviews about some live albums yesterday, I decided to give 1996's Love In Space a try. I figured it might be a proper way to get into some later Hawkwind. And holy crap that album is awesome! Is this as good as it gets, or should I pickup my Hawkwind exploring where I left it years ago?

Whatever you do, don't miss their 1990 album Images.

And ditto on Chronicle of the Black Sword  Live Chronicles is awesome, but features a few songs from other albums, too.

Also: Quark, Strangeness and Charm; Choose Your Masques; The Xenon Codex
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 02:42
Post Warrior, my faourites are the run of three Bob Calvert albums; Astounding Sounds.., Quark, Strangeness & Charm & PXR5. But 1980's Levitation is also an excellent album. Probably their most consistent in quality, and certainly among their best production jobs.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 09:09
Thanks for the recommendations!

I have also listened to The Business Trip, but I had to turn it off after a couple of tracks. Apart from one or two cool songs, that was really not what I'm looking for with Hawkwind.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 09:12
Hi,

The two "ambient" like albums are worth listening to ... "Electric Tepee" and "It Is The Business Of The Future", are both worthy of attention, with the problem being that they are completely different ... ET is really a far out "acid-rock" assault, and it goes pretty much non-stop. And then in the end, the stunner is a little ditty that everyone finds weird ... but describes Hawkwind very well ... it's all just a little ritual party ... another "event", kind of thing, like the GD in this country ... people went for the gate parties, not even the concert or the music!

The other album is more ambient, but it has one piece of music I do not care for and I think it brings down the album ... even though the justification for it is fine ... the RS song in it, takes away the "trip" for me ...and just about closes the album in a very unsatisfactory manner. That song should have been released as a single, not in this album is my thought! Not to mention that it is one of the saddest moments in rock music history ... 

Edited by moshkito - September 11 2020 at 07:39
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 09:19
I highly recommend "Electric Teepee"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Post Warrior, my faourites are the run of three Bob Calvert albums; Astounding Sounds.., Quark, Strangeness & Charm & PXR5. But 1980's Levitation is also an excellent album. Probably their most consistent in quality, and certainly among their best production jobs.

there are actually 4 Calvert albums. you forgot "25 Years On", which was released under the band name Hawklords for legal reasons

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 09:33
 I love "Psi Power".  Where should I go from there?
Tendiwa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tendiwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 09:48
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

And ditto on Chronicle of the Black Sword  Live Chronicles is awesome, but features a few songs from other albums, too.

I suppose you mean the 1990 album Space Bandits?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 09:49
as to the ambient albums: "It Is the Business of the Future to Be Dangerous" was not received too well by the fans, but Hawkwind wanted to continue exploring that area. so they released their next ambient album "White Noise" under the band name Psychedelic Warriors. I consider that album to be superior to "IItBorFtbD"

Edited by BaldJean - September 10 2020 at 13:44

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 10:05

Images is a song not an album. The album is called Space Bandits and yes it's very good.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 13:52

I suppose you mean the 1990 album Space Bandits?

#brainfart YES! I mean Space Bandits. "Images" is the opening song. Tells you how much I like it! LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 13:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Images is a song not an album. The album is called Space Bandits and yes it's very good.

I just addressed that, and it's not "very good," it's awesome! Big smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 13:55
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

as to the ambient albums: "It Is the Business of the Future to Be Dangerous" was not received too well by the fans, but Hawkwind wanted to continue exploring that area. so they released their next ambient album "White Noise" under the band name Psychedelic Warriors. I consider that album to be superior to "IItBorFtbD"

IItBotFtbD is half-cooked. They should have shelved it; years later, it could've been a "bonus disc"! Wink
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 14:06

I just addressed that, and it's not "very good," it's awesome! Big smile

I wouldn't personally go that far but I enjoyed. However, I admit I only listened to it once so maybe I need to listen again. I do think that opening track was great though. Interesting how this is the only album of theirs to have female vocals (if I'm not mistaken).

I also have their album before it from 1988 which I also enjoyed. I don't remember the name of it though. The other HW stuff I have is from the early days.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 10 2020 at 14:08
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 16:10

I also have their album before it from 1988 which I also enjoyed.

The Xenon Codex. I had it on cassette when it was brand new.

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:53
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

there are actually 4 Calvert albums. you forgot "25 Years On", which was released under the band name Hawklords for legal reasons

Very true! 25 years on is a really good album, although I have to say I prefer the live version of Psy Power from the Do Not Panic Stonehenge album.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply