Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is 'Sgt. Pepper' overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is 'Sgt. Pepper' overrated?
    Posted: September 12 2020 at 01:28
It's iconic but for a lot of people, including musicians (Steven Wilson, for example) the album is slightly overrated. What do you think?
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 01:29
Of course not.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 02:06
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

It's iconic but for a lot of people, including musicians (Steven Wilson, for example) the album is slightly overrated. What do you think?

what makes you say it's overrated?
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 03:50
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

To be fair, when you have a band like the Beatles with a massive maniacal fanbase their stuff is always going to be a little overated.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 03:54
Is life overrated ?
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 04:32
Is 'Sgt. Pepper' overrated?  NO.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 04:57
No, nor are the Beatles as a whole, sitting down and listening to the later half of their discography easily proves they were and are worth the hype and they were always on top of whatever they were doing at any moment in their career.

It's easy to take the little stuff for granted but the production value and pure psychedelia bliss oozing from that album is incredible.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 12 2020 at 04:59
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 05:00
No.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 05:02
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

To be fair, when you have a band like the Beatles with a massive maniacal fanbase their stuff is always going to be a little overated.

I guess I can call myself lucky I've never met maniacal Beatles fans, not in my everyday life, or online. On the contrary, at least online it was quite the opposite (prog and metal sites I have hanged out). 

Overrated for me means an artist's work that gets more appreciation than it deserves, a hype I cannot understand. In Sgt Pepper's case, I think the appreciation it gets is well deserved, so, no, I don't think it's overrated. 

Edited by Cristi - September 12 2020 at 06:01
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 05:53
Not to me. If you consider the historical importance of it, and the influence it produced in the immediate future, certainly not.

Edited by Manuel - September 12 2020 at 05:53
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 06:00
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Not to me. If you consider the historical importance of it, and the influence it produced in the immediate future, certainly not.
In the end, yes - it was what defined prog rock. I believe the term "progressive pop" began at this point - sice the Beatles made pop music, but it was getting progressive on Sgt. Pepper (this of course later became "progressive rock"). Music we now call prog ("Kinda Prog?" LOL) was of course made earlier, but the Beatles I think made it what it is now.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 06:39
Oddly enough I was just doing a search for versions of "a little help from my friends" on youtube. I wanted to see if any cover versions were based on the original and not the Joe Cocker version. I prefer the original but seem to be a minority. 

Anyway, I'm not sure it's over rated but some of the songs don't fit as well as others. For example I could do without "when I'm sixty four" or "being for the benefit of mr. Kite." Not bad songs but they seem out of place. "Within you without you" is also maybe a bit out of place and should have appeared on a George Harrison solo album maybe. There's no bad songs on it and it's still a great album but I don't think it flows as well as it should except for the first few songs and maybe the last few.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 07:13
Of course it's overrated - how can the consistently "de facto" number one album on SO many of those Top Album lists not be?  "They" RATE that album OVER the entire canon of pop music over the past 70 years or so!  That's immediately going to bring out defenders and nay-sayers, especially if those against weren't around at the time of Pepper's release.  

It's popularity at the time was intense - people really believed that the album would stop the war, ease societal tensions, bridge gaps between generations.  That's a lot to expect of an album, eh?  Of course, pop music didn't save the world and as Pepper got overplayed, other music stepped into the hype maching and came out the other side as Top Albums, too.   Your Dark Sides, IVs, CTTEs, not to mention the CSNs, Eltons and Princes.

I personally don't rate Pepper in my Beatles Top 5 (Mystery Tour, Revolver, Rubber Soul, White, Abbey), let alone all-time Top 5.  I love Pepper and always will - I was born a few weeks after its release and its been part of my life ever since......part of those cradle songs that stay with you from birth 'til death.  But, yeah, it's waaaay overrated - five star album, to be sure, but there are SO many better records out there.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:18
many things in life are overrated ---because really all you need is loveWink ---but it probably is overrated-- but its importance in music history is hard to overstate. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:25
These kinds of polls are overrated. Just listened to Sgt Peppers a few days ago. No! If you don't find it the masterpiece that it is, you just don't get it!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:26
Pepper is more than just an album. It was released slap bang in the middle of the summer of love when many people thought that a change was coming and music could be a potent force in that change. As such pepper was awaited with huge anticipation and for a generation it seemed to fit the bill. Of course it didn't change the world ( well not immediately) but it is a fine album that was one of the albums that would help facilitate the progressive rock music that followed quite quickly after.

It is not my fave Beatles album, I prefer revolver,MMT and Abbey Road but I feel that if they had put out a double A single of 'when I'm sixty four' and ' within without you" leaving SFF and Penny Lane for Pepper what an album! Also ' when I'm sixty four' would imo have had a better chance of beating Englebert to the No 1 spot.

Still overrated, yes probably but with that expectation understandable.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:28
Everything should be more over rated than everything else.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 08:54
When Robert Fripp pulls his car over to the side of the road just to listen to Sgt. Pepper's for the first time, I don't think it can be viewed as overrated.

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 12 2020 at 08:54
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 09:37
Good to see different points of view. I don't think it's overrated but definitely not their best, as it is often said to be.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 09:55
Steven Wilson thought it was "slightly" overrated? Coming from a guy who is entirely overrated. No, it pretty much started it all, thank you.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>