Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How about progressive pop as another sub-genre?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How about progressive pop as another sub-genre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 10:43
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

[QUOTE=Nogbad_The_Bad]I don't think Led Zeppelin were ever 'pop'

what is pop music anymore? 
No matter how I try to define it, it makes less and less sense. 

Does pop music include whatever music is popular? Then Led Zep is pop, and so is Slayer. LOL

Does pop mean whatever is mainstream? Trendy or trending... ? 
Confused

Led Zeppelin were popular, so yes, they made pop music. It just isn't very popular these days.
"Does pop mean whatever is mainstream? Trendy or trending... ? "
Yep, pretty much.

No, Led Zep never were a "pop" band in the sense of making singles for the top 30 market. They were popular yes, but pop, no way.
Ok, they didn't neccesarily make hugely successful singles, but does that really mean they weren't pop? I feel pop is far too much of a discredit round here. After all, Pink Floyd was really popular, but why are they not considered pop? Because prog fans don't like pop music and think it's the most disgusting thing on Earth?

Some years ago, there was another term circulating for "pop" music in some parts of Europe, whose translation to English would be " light" or "easy" music.Easy as in easy to comprehend, for everyone (no offense there). 

If pop is short for popular, then there are popular jazz artists, prog, blues, rock, hard rock, all sort of metal, etc. Confused
And then there is the mainstream world... Confused

so wtf is pop music? LOL I for one am clueless. LOL

Edited by Cristi - September 13 2020 at 10:44
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 10:48

Does pop music include whatever music is popular? Then Led Zep is pop, and so is Slayer. LOL

Confused

Led Zeppelin were popular, so yes, they made pop music. It just isn't very popular these days.
Yep, pretty much.

No, Led Zep never were a "pop" band in the sense of making singles for the top 30 market. They were popular yes, but pop, no way.
Ok, they didn't neccesarily make hugely successful singles, but does that really mean they weren't pop? I feel pop is far too much of a discredit round here. After all, Pink Floyd was really popular, but why are they not considered pop? Because prog fans don't like pop music and think it's the most disgusting thing on Earth?

Some years ago, there was another term circulating for "pop" music in some parts of Europe, whose translation to English would be " light" or "easy" music.Easy as in easy to comprehend, for everyone (no offense there). 

If pop is short for popular, then there are popular jazz artists, prog, blues, rock, hard rock, all sort of metal, etc. Confused

All right, Cristi, you've got me there! I'm not sure what I mean myself anymore! LOL
Was the "easy" music in Europe by any chance "easy listening"? 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 10:50

Confused

Yep, pretty much.

All right, Cristi, you've got me there! I'm not sure what I mean myself anymore! LOL

no, it was not "easy listening". 
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 10:57

Confused

Yep, pretty much.

no, it was not "easy listening". 
Ah, ok then. I'd rather listen to easy listening than so-called prog pop myself, though.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 10:59

Ah, ok then. I'd rather listen to easy listening than so-called prog pop myself, though.

if prog-pop is what we (already) call crossover prog or prog-related, there's plenty of interesting music. 
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 11:38

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I don't think Led Zeppelin were ever 'pop'

Confused

You are tremendously right here. I also have some hard time defining it.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 11:44
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No. We don't need reviews of Phil Collins' solo albums.

LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 11:55
As an easy rule of thumb, Dancing Queen by Abba is a pop song. Just combine prog with that.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 12:06
While I'm aware that the "progressive pop" tag seems to be more or less recognized and accepted, this label is rather dubious to me: art pop, art rock, experimental pop, avant pop... It looks like this "sub-genre" is more a vague flair among ambitious pop/rock musicians than a whole genre in se with fully estabished musical characteristics.

By the way, the people of the Rate Your Music Ultimate Box Set project made a list about progressive pop:

Most of the artists of this list are already in the PA database as "Prog Related" or "Proto Prog". So, I'm not sure we need another subgenre tag - unless we're ready to enter the "Ever Expanding Heavy Metal Subgenres Spiral"! 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 14:15
Without quoting a whole load of the Led Zep posts and taking up a whole page of posts, I would point out to you all that Zep did actually make singles for the pop market. It just so happened that they did this primarily in America, not Britain. However, they did release Whole Lotta Love in Britain, and pulled it as a marketing wheeze in order to capture the cool zeitgeist of the time. Ironically, that song went on to become the iconic theme tune to Top of the Pops, the major UK chart singles show of the time.

Led Zep, Yes, ELP, Deep Purple, The Who, and many others did, in fact, have singles success. They were pop acts, in the sense that pop is a short hand for popular music. They sold albums and singles by the truckload. Which is why I have always been a wee bit perplexed by the aversion to commercial success by so called prog purists. At the time, this lot were the most commercially successful acts on planet Earth.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 14:43
As already mentioned, we have Crossover Prog, and progressive pop and pop-rock (as a sort of pop "sound"/ poppy musical qualities rather than just meaning popular) can found across categories. Such a category for this progressive rock site is unneeded imo. Making we wonder if we should add Stereolab and Pram again, though. And Serge Gainsbourg (One I would have pushed if not for the big discography -- Histoire de Melody Nelson and Cannabis rock).

By thw way, I wrote a long post here trying to go into the meanings of the word pop: based on my research and understanding http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=122757

For progressive pop I wrote:

Progressive Pop is music that tries to break with the pop genre's standard formula. It can be likened to progressive rock that tried to break free of the constraints of the rock canon. Progressive pop may have extended instrumentation, break from traditional verse/chorus expectations bring in non-pop influences but still have an underlying pop aesthetic, or pop qualities. Unlike much pop, harmony, simple though pop harmonies tend to be, commonly is not its backing structure. It is generally more complex than other forms of pop, long songs are common, and some might call much of it progressive rock lite -- a crossover between the world of progressive rock and certain pop formats.
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 15:04
The Zombies - "Hung Up on a Dream" (1968)

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 20:01
Too many genres/sub-genres for me. I just play the music, and then decide if I like it or not, no matter how it's classified. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 23:48
I totally thought prog pop was already a loose label...?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 05:16
Bands like Everything Everything are proper progressive pop and excellent at that... except they are not prog by the standards of this site.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 05:28
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I think the same thing, honestly - just as "prog related", as an example.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 06:01
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Bands like Everything Everything are proper progressive pop and excellent at that... except they are not prog by the standards of this site.

Never heard of them but I'll check them out. Thank you for the suggestion!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 00:15
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I think the same thing, honestly - just as "prog related", as an example.

For me, it immediately begs the question: what are the qualifiers?

Synth?
Odd meter?
One verse with a weird count in?

Lol.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 00:32
Sure why not and i vote we add.... DEVO!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 03:32
ᗅᗺᗷᗅ - "I'm a Marionette" (1977)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>