Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finnish prog bands that sing in Swedish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finnish prog bands that sing in Swedish
    Posted: September 13 2020 at 19:23
Hi, I was wondering if any of you know of any Finnish bands besides Gjallarhorn that sing in Swedish.  If you do, please let me know.  I would love to check them out.  Thanks.
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 23:28
Well, there really aren't much of them. PRIME MOVER has sung in both Swedish and English.

Most of the Finnish Swedish prog bands either tend to make instrumental music, such as THOBY LOTH, or prefer to sing in English, such as OPUS SYMBIOSIS. 

SAMMAL included one Swedish-language song, 'Storm varning', on their album Myrskyvaroitus.

Edited by Matti - September 13 2020 at 23:30
exoticprog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 15:51
I know, believe me, that is why I started this thread lol. I appreciate the recommendations and I will be sure to check them out.

If there is anyone else that knows of any other Finnish bands that sing in Swedish, please let me know.  
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 13:27
Hi, it's been a while since this thread was active.  Again, if there is anyone else that knows of any other Finnish bands that sing in Swedish, please let me know.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 15:24
My grandfather was a Swedish Finn. While the Swedish speaking Finns are a minority in Finland (especially those born in Finland whose native language is Swedish), I woud think there would be a few, but not many, at least on the Prog side.

Anyway, sorry but I cannot help.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2020 at 09:29
No problem, hopefully someone else can suggest a Swedish-singing Finnish prog band (besides the ones already mentioned by the user Matti).

By the way, if you guys can suggest any Swedish-singing Finnish prog band that can be found on iTunes or Apple Music, even better.  Thanks.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 18:11
Why Finnish bands singing in Swedish? I'm happy enough with Swedish bands singing in swedish, or Finnish bands singing in finnish. This just reminded me of the very frustrating song Haggard did, Herr Mannelig sung in Italian... I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. A german band singing a swedish (or scandinavian) folk song in italian... I mean, why italian? And the way they play the song is wonderful, but it just bugs me, I don't understand the reasoning behind that choice.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 18:15
Well because Swedish is technically the second official language of Finland and I know Swedish so that’s why.

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Why Finnish bands singing in Swedish? I'm happy enough with Swedish bands singing in swedish, or Finnish bands singing in finnish. This just reminded me of the very frustrating song Haggard did, Herr Mannelig sung in Italian... I just don't understand the reasoning behind it. A german band singing a swedish (or scandinavian) folk song in italian... I mean, why italian? And the way they play the song is wonderful, but it just bugs me, I don't understand the reasoning behind that choice.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exoticprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 06:59
Hi, can anyone else here recommend other Finnish prog bands that sing in Swedish?  Especially ones I can find on Apple Music and iTunes?
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 07:59
Yeah but are there any Finnish bands that sing in Apache?

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2020 at 23:50
Originally posted by exoticprog exoticprog wrote:

Well because Swedish is technically the second official language of Finland and I know Swedish so that’s why.

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I didn't know that about Finland, that's interesting. I do am interested in songs sung in swedish. I have a few albums, the one I love the most being Hybris. Though I do wish I could get Landberk's "Riktigt Akta".
 Post Reply Post Reply