Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How did Egg and Caravan nail the organ fuzz solo?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How did Egg and Caravan nail the organ fuzz solo?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How did Egg and Caravan nail the organ fuzz solo?
    Posted: September 17 2020 at 17:17
As in terms of equipment. 

We have the same organ Egg used, we have the Wah pedal and the Behringer pedal (which is the exact same schematics internally as the Schaftesbury Fuzz), but something is wrong here as it doesn't sound right.

I'm doing: Hammond > Wah > Fuzz > Output. 

Perhaps it's:
Hammond > Fuzz > Wah > Output? sh*t I don't know. I just want to get the right sound that Caravan and Egg were doing when they would rip a fat solo like on Nine Feet Underground, or Visit to Newport Hospital.

Any info here would be greatly appreciated.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 17:32
Don't you mean Soft Machine and Egg? 
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 17:42
Hatfield and NH
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 17:55
Originally posted by hugo1995 hugo1995 wrote:

We have the same organ Egg used, we have the Wah pedal and the Behringer pedal (which is the exact same schematics internally as the Schaftesbury Fuzz), but something is wrong here as it doesn't sound right.

Perhaps it's:
Hammond > Fuzz > Wah > Output? sh*t I don't know. I just want to get the right sound that Caravan and Egg were doing when they would rip a fat solo like on Nine Feet Underground, or Visit to Newport Hospital.

This is something you probably already know, but just in case. The volume setting of your keyboard is going to have a big effect on how much saturation you get from your distortion gear. Also, maybe try changing the order of your set up, wah before fuzz. What you are doing is the usual way, but maybe they are doing something different.

Edited by Easy Money - September 17 2020 at 17:59
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 01:16
The best way to get the best sounds is to simply experiment.

Try different, unconventional pedal orderings. I created a sick guitar tone simply from moving a single octave pedal around one spot in my chain. Avoid musical gear dogma and you'll create new sounds FAST.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 07:12
Hammond L122 I think. What a super sound.
I have no idea on the order of effects though. My favourite keyboard sounds is Fuzz Organ.
hugo1995 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugo1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:06
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Perhaps it's:

This is something you probably already know, but just in case. The volume setting of your keyboard is going to have a big effect on how much saturation you get from your distortion gear. Also, maybe try changing the order of your set up, wah before fuzz. What you are doing is the usual way, but maybe they are doing something different.
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Try different, unconventional pedal orderings. I created a sick guitar tone simply from moving a single octave pedal around one spot in my chain. Avoid musical gear dogma and you'll create new sounds FAST.

Thanks guys, and no @Easy Money I didn't know that. Some of this stuff is obvious to some, but I haven't had any experience in vintage tech + audio engineering so it's a bit frustrating getting my head around this. 

The last 2 years I have gained a great respect for the album producer/studio engineer. Heavily underrated role.
interests: Moon Safari, Gilgamesh, Egg, ELP, Soft Machine, Gong, Opeth (Everything pre watershed), Brighteye Brison, The Flower Kings
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:18
I don't know. All I know is I like the Caravan organ fuzz solos a lot.

This is a picture of my keyboard, although I can't play an organ fuzz solo on it. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 27 2020 at 13:23
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:37

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Perhaps it's:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Thanks guys, and no @Easy Money I didn't know that. Some of this stuff is obvious to some, but I haven't had any experience in vintage tech + audio engineering so it's a bit frustrating getting my head around this. 

The last 2 years I have gained a great respect for the album producer/studio engineer. Heavily underrated role.

Well there you go, try experimenting with the volume setting on the kybd. A high volume will produce a very saturated distortion while a lower volume will produce a lighter distortion.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 00:17
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is a picture of my keyboard, although I can't play an organ fuzz solo on it. Smile

Nice photo Paul! I hope you enjoy it :)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 08:42
Hi,

I believe that DaveSax has answered this somewhere else, but I can not find it. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Nice photo Paul! I hope you enjoy it :)
Thanks! I'd enjoy it if I had the time to actually play it. I spend so much time listening to music (8 albums per day), I have no time left over for making music. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply