Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This Place is a Zoo #3 - Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these songs from an animal band is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.38%]
7 [16.67%]
1 [2.38%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [7.14%]
2 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
22 [52.38%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.38%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [4.76%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
1 [2.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This Place is a Zoo #3 - Bands
    Posted: September 20 2020 at 08:03
Welcome to the 3rd edition of a trip to the progressive zoo.  All of these bands are named after animals that you might find at a zoo.  I've tried to keep them to lesser known bands, but I have included a few better known bands because what would a zoo be without a Porcupine or a Camel.  LOL  Hopefully, at least a few of you will give them all a shot and maybe you will discover a lesser known band.  I scoured the prog archives' roster of bands to come up with as many animals as I could find and if this goes half way decent, I have a couple of more trips to the zoo planned for later weeks.  At the very least, I have enjoyed checking out a number of bands that I was not familiar with.  To try and make more conversation, I have opened up this poll for multiple votes.  Vote for your 3 favorites and then feel free to list them and discuss.

I am not going to post all of the videos here this time.  I have created a YouTube playlist that can be used to listen to all of these songs.  I am looking for some feedback here.  If there is a preference that I should post the videos in this thread, I can do that, but I know on some devices it tends to bog down the loading of the thread.  

Have fun!

Edited by rushfan4 - May 15 2021 at 21:07
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 08:05
I like 6 bands out of this long list, I've heard of a few others. 
I'll listen and post later. Smile
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 09:24
Mandrill. Santana meets Chicago. Interesting mix.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 10:38
Good band in this list, but for me, it has to be Camel.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 10:54
I voted for Badger but will say that Mandrill is the hottest group on this list. I expected to see Atomic Rooster somewhere.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2020 at 11:30
Atomic Rooster have themselves a spot in a future poll.  I don't know that I have ever seen a rooster at a zoo, but I suppose that there can be zoos with various farm animals in them.  Maybe a petting zoo?  
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 00:12
Camel!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 00:45
Camel
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 01:07
thought this was a bands poll and the songs just a sample to know their sound LOL

Chose Camel
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 06:44
Had to give it to Camel.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 08:27
From that list Camel...but there are other tracks from PT's Stupid Dream that might have worked for me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 10:12
I'm kind of disappointed.  Unfortunately, I expected this to be a two-horse race, so I am slightly surprised that it has become a one camel race.  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised though, as Camel is very well-loved here at PA.  Too bad for them it never translated into a bigger following outside.  I tried picking something from one of their lesser loved albums, but...it is still a pretty good song.  I'd say it is probably in my top 10 from this list and probably even top 5, but all is cool.  I hope that people have checked out some of the other songs, because there is some pretty good stuff in there.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 12:41
Lots of good ones. Lemur Voice, Platypus, Nice Beaver, but I shall choose...Wolfspring.

BTW, did not even listen to the Camel song.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - September 21 2020 at 12:43
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 14:30
Nice Beaver.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 15:16
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Atomic Rooster have themselves a spot in a future poll.  I don't know that I have ever seen a rooster at a zoo, but I suppose that there can be zoos with various farm animals in them.  Maybe a petting zoo?  

There is an area for farm animals here in the Guatemala zoo, so I say that inclusion is valid

Thanks for posting the videos in YouTube. It makes things simpler for those of us that are not familiar with much of the bands.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 04:52
I used the same principle of not voting for songs I already knew and voted for Ultraviolet Hippopotamus, Mandrill and Les Rhinocéros. Nice to see Big Red Panda up there, even if I didn't like that album much.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 05:10
Captain Beefheart - Flash Gordon's Ape would be my vote!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 05:59
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Captain Beefheart - Flash Gordon's Ape would be my vote!

it's bands with animals in their name this round. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:48
Yes.  As Cristi said, this poll is for bands named after animals...I suppose that Captain Beefheart, has "beef" in his name, and by all accounts he was a bit of an animal.  Wink  I've got a couple of Beefheart albums, but I am not overly familiar with him.  What I've heard really wasn't my thing though.  This song would have fit in the This Place is a Zoo#1 poll, which was songs with animals in the title.  I may do another one of those further down the road, so I'll have to keep this song in mind if I do.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 16:06
I saw this on Facebook today, so I had to steal it for my poll since I thought it was appropriate.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 23 2020 at 16:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>