Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Appreciation - All Subgenres

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 09:12
^You got me, but it's not a good song. Probably why it didn't make the cut for the album.

Anyway, DT discussed quite often. How about we explore lesser know bands?

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 09:40
^ I like the song, the band even plays it live every now and then. 
Better than most stuff after Octavarium in my opinion. 

I'll listen to your songs. No worries. 

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 10:07
Three pages and I made this only yesterday! Discussion is certainly not dead -  it took my neo thread ages to reach this level.
I like Antidepressive Delivery, by the way, Grumpy Prog Fan.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 11:58
A few bands you don't hear much about anymore:

Shadow Gallery
Explorer's Club
Cosmosquad
Mastermind (one album was prog metal anyway the rest were heavy prog)
Spiral Architect
Ice Age
Rhapsody (of fire)
Ian Parry
Vanden Plas
Mind's Eye
Threshold (probably more than the others on the list though)

Also, pretty much any band who was on the magna carta label in the 90's and early 2000's who could be called prog metal(not all on that label were prog metal but many were).

The mentioning of Magnitude 9 on the first page is what made me thought of this. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 22 2020 at 12:02
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 12:06
^ Threshold is one of my favorite bands, the death of Andrew McDermott was shocking (to me, just 45 years old). The albums with him on vocals are my favorite. 

I've listened to him in three other bands, so talented - Sargant Fury (heavy/power), Yargos (progressive metal) and PowerWorld (just power metal though, but still good). 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 12:50
A lot of bands and the videos to me are prog metal lite, like reeeeeeally lite. I don't do any death metal so I guess prog metal sits between death metal and heavy prog/hard rock prog.

Some of Redemption is about as hard as I get, Snowfall On Judgment Day is a great album.

As far as DT goes, I listen to everything up to BC&SL, after that it really is boring music. Some of ADToE is very good but I suspect Portnoy had a lot of collab with Petrucci on those songs before MP exited stage left. Train Of Thought to me is the classic prog metal album, I love that album and doubt DT will record anything like it ever. It has all the excesses of prog and the metal drumming and guitar, Labrie actually sounds good on that one.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:06
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

A lot of bands and the videos to me are prog metal lite, like reeeeeeally lite. I don't do any death metal so I guess prog metal sits between death metal and heavy prog/hard rock prog.

Some of Redemption is about as hard as I get, Snowfall On Judgment Day is a great album.

As far as DT goes, I listen to everything up to BC&SL, after that it really is boring music. Some of ADToE is very good but I suspect Portnoy had a lot of collab with Petrucci on those songs before MP exited stage left. Train Of Thought to me is the classic prog metal album, I love that album and doubt DT will record anything like it ever. It has all the excesses of prog and the metal drumming and guitar, Labrie actually sounds good on that one.

You should give their last one a chance - Distance Over Time - I haven't had fun with DT like that since Octavarium. 

Strangely, the only band Portnoy's been in that I really enjoy is his hard rock project The Winery Dogs. Flying Colors is also pretty enjoyable. But the rest not so much. Neal Morse is fine but often a chore to listen to, Portnoy's project with Russel Allen, Adrenaline Mob,  was bland and his own DT, Sons of Apollo rather boring to me. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 14:24
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Cool. You like one of the five I posted. 20% is better than zero.    

Pyramid Theorem, was good. I shall check them out.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 14:26
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

You should give their last one a chance - Distance Over Time - I haven't had fun with DT like that since Octavarium. 

Strangely, the only band Portnoy's been in that I really enjoy is his hard rock project The Winery Dogs. Flying Colors is also pretty enjoyable. But the rest not so much. Neal Morse is fine but often a chore to listen to, Portnoy's project with Russel Allen, Adrenaline Mob,  was bland and his own DT, Sons of Apollo rather boring to me. 
DOT did nothing for me, but I was so consumed with the hideously boring monstrosity of The Astonishing, it clouded my ears badly...still does ! LOL I'll revisit DOT soon....

I don't really care for any of Portnoy's side bands like AM, Winery Dogs and Sons of Apollo is terrible. His drumming in Neal Morse projects is what I like, most of the Neal Morse band stuff I like because Neal has so much input. Flying Colors the first album is really good, the rest is forgettable for me.....Neal just has so much stuff going on all the time, quantity over quality is the issue.
Hoping the new Transatlantic album will be more on task and be a true Transatlantic record than a mix of everything Neal and Portnoy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 14:33
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Cool. You like one of the five I posted. 20% is better than zero.    

Pyramid Theorem, was good. I shall check them out.

^Great. Their bassist by the way, Christian Di Mambro is a member here, under the name of PT2112.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 17:00
Lots of good and great recommendations here.

Here's a progressive power metal song. 

Edited by Shadowyzard - September 22 2020 at 17:01
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 19:14
I really like Prog Metal. Perhaps my favourite sub-genre after 70's symphonic. And I do believe they reigned supreme in the 00's. However, it would seem that by this decade their time has already past. My favourites would be, I guess, the more common names: Dream Theater, Ayreon, Riverside, Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Devin Townsend. And if they are really considered Prog Metal (though not really for me), then also Nightwish, Epica, Therion, Rhapsody of Fire. About the growlings, I have never been much of a fan of them. The only artist that has made me enjoy them, in some songs, is Devin Townsend, anyone else, I might like the songs despite the growling (and then, usually I choos none growling songs).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 19:28
It seems to me the peak of prog metal was roughly between 1992 and 2005. By then it started to change. Maybe even slightly earlier than 2005. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 19:35
Freak Kitchen are superb but not prog enough for PA?

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 20:28

I also love DT up tu Silver Clouds... though I don't really find much to rescue from ADToE. And my favourite album is indeed Train of Thought too. Usually they have songs that I like and some others that I find rather weak, but this one is mostly great. The only disc better, for me, than this one is disc one of Six Degrees, but unfortunatley that's a double one, and the second disc, the title suite, just doesn't do anything for me.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I also love DT up tu Silver Clouds... though I don't really find much to rescue from ADToE. And my favourite album is indeed Train of Thought too. Usually they have songs that I like and some others that I find rather weak, but this one is mostly great. The only disc better, for me, than this one is disc one of Six Degrees, but unfortunatley that's a double one, and the second disc, the title suite, just doesn't do anything for me.
We are very much on the same page regarding DT. I suppose I am not too interested in any prog metal after 2010, it seems it became too messy and bands that I did like before then, for some reason stopped recording.....or in the case of Riverside went to the lite side of the force. Whereas a band like Haken went IMO, too hard to the thrash side and too much wonking on keyboards combined with guitars. I'm glad for their first few albums.
It seems there is a lot of prog metal out there now, but nothing too interesting for my ears......I'll keep trying.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:10
I've only just realised Haken are heavy prog, opinions on the new album? I should have a review for it soon.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:12

I've only just realised Haken are heavy prog, opinions on the new album? I should have a review for it soon.
Everything is "Heavy Prog" and "Crossover Prog", nothing is "All Prog"..........LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:23

Everything is "Heavy Prog" and "Crossover Prog", nothing is "All Prog"..........LOL
I know what you mean LOL
What I meant was is that I just realised this is a good place to discuss Haken.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:54

I know what you mean LOL
What I meant was is that I just realised this is a good place to discuss Haken.
Thumbs Up
You could always start a Haken Appreciation page, not sure one exists......Blaze the trail homeboy!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>