Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Dreams and Nightmares vs. Nightmare of My Dreams
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dreams and Nightmares vs. Nightmare of My Dreams

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these tracks is more your thing?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [88.89%]
1 [11.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dreams and Nightmares vs. Nightmare of My Dreams
    Posted: September 21 2020 at 13:23
A new and old poll which I doubt will get much response. "Nightmare of My Dreams" or "Dreams and Nightmares (Nightmares)"?

I read a topic some time ago by glassonyonpr titled https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123852 which immediately brought to mind the tracks "Dreams and Nightmares (Dreams)" and "Dreams and Nightmares (Nightmares)" off Messages's 1973 album From Books and Dreams. Both being pretty heavy with gentler passages, I thought it might be somewhat, but not very, interesting to compare the recent DarWin track to a classic, but not generally well-known, Message track to see if people here tend to prefer DarWin's (included in the Crossover Prog category) recent approach to making music or Message's (included in the Psychedelic/Space Rock category) approach.

It's the Message one for me.

By the way, Classic Rock (the magazine?) reportedly said of DarWin's earlier album, "At the end of it all, DarWin has saved the concept album as well as the planet" which is a very bold pronouncement and/or deliberately hyperbolic. Searched for the review online but failed (perhaps because it's only in magazine form?) I'd be interested to read the full review if anyone has access to it/ has read it.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 13:49
I'm always attracted to threads where the word "Psychedelic" is mentioned, and having listened to both songs for the first time tonight, I really like the classic Message song, but I wasn't so keen on the DarWin song, so it's an easy win for Dreams & Nightmares. Thumbs Up
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 13:53
first option by far 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 17:28
Message gets my vote.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 18:19
First time I hear both, and both are very good in spite of their huge differences.

Voted for DarWin 'cause it deserves more love
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 18:26
Message "Dreams and Nightmares (Nightmares)" it{s a fantastic album a piece of genious and very underrated
Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 19:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm always attracted to threads where the word "Psychedelic" is mentioned, and having listened to both songs for the first time tonight, I really like the classic Message song, but I wasn't so keen on the DarWin song, so it's an easy win for Dreams & Nightmares. Thumbs Up

give the full album a listen i think you'll like it ...Message i mean
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 02:11
Dreams and Images bij Arthur (Lee Harper)
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 05:34
Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 05:50
I thought about mentioning that one one too after seeing Friso's comment (Checked out that folk song, by the way, nice), or King Crimson's "One More Red Nightmare", since this is a Prog lounge (Cooper is Prog related to me, by the way).

Points if you both can think of a song that includes both the word "Dream" (or "Dreams") and the word "Nightmare" (or "Nightmares"). But if we go too much this route and this becomes a game, then I shall move this topic to Just For Fun. One might argue that most polls are just for fun as it is.

Edited by Logan - September 24 2020 at 05:55
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply