Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Weep hard, for you must only choose three.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.52%]
4 [8.70%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
5 [10.87%]
3 [6.52%]
2 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.52%]
5 [10.87%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
    Posted: September 29 2020 at 15:49
Smile 2 votes for Foyer des Arts! I'm happy!
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 14:17
My votes:
Sufjan Stevens -"Death with Dignity"
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Far From Me"
Foyer Des Arts - "Könnten Bienen Fliegen"

Honorable mentions:
Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Neil Young - "The Old Laughing Lady"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 11:29
Part 2

Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Acoustic intro. Builds slowly. There's a thoughful mood in the song overall. I like the acoustic guitar, and somehow the music reminds me of something very old (pre-Baroque). I like it.

Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"
I like the lo-fi aesthetics of the acoustic guitar. Once again we are in singer/songwriter-land. The song belongs to a genre where simplicity is the key word. I would normally say that you have to be really good to make great simple music. In this case, I hear a lot of emotion and subtlety in the vocal performance and the guitar playing. Another really good song.

Foyer Des Arts - "Könnten Bienen Fliegen"
Now to something very different. The sound is more new wave-like, or alternative-like. I cannot help but notice that the singing is slightly off-key at times. But it seems to be that it is on purpose. I like the song, and as the disharmonic sounds come in, I am undoubtedly on home ground. If anything, I am not sure if the saxophone really fits in this universe. But the song speaks to my curiosity, and the lyrics are really great.

Edited by The Anders - September 29 2020 at 12:36
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 09:27
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

- Weyes Blood - Wild Time : Maybe a bit more conventional but not less a mesmerizing and beautiful song. I read she did some more experimental things? Might be interesting to explore too...
Yes, this album has some more experimental songs and icy synths, but even this song has some strange synth overdubs throughout it. Her voice is so warm that it works surprisingly well.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 09:19
Another great playlist, it wasn't easy to pick just three songs. I voted for Young Dubliners, Foyer des Arts and Neil Young.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 08:23
My votes go to:

Fairport Convention - Reynardine
Neil Young - The Old Laughing Lady
Young Dubliners - One and Only (nice Celtic touch, yet without sounding like their 40% ABV old namesakes)

Honourable mentions: Foyer des Arts, Sebastian, Sufjan Stevens.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 15:37

I knew a little bit of his work, but this song is new to me. I don't know if I can say it makes me sad, but it's clearly melancholic. The down-to-earth aesthetics is very tasteful. Also it's a beautiful melody. Maybe it sounds crazy, but melodically I hear an echo of Brian Wilson. Eels also comes to mind.

Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"
As with Sufjan Stevens, I knew only a little of Antony & the Johnsons. Once again we're in the acoustic singer/songwriter area, and despite the piano being the main instrument, the feel is not that different. The composition is rather minimalistic (maybe a bit too much so for me), but the vocal performance is interesting.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Far From Me"
And now for something very different. This is a really great song, especially with the way it builds up. I love it when the organ comes in, and the soundscape during "did you really care for me" is really interesting. I've always loved Nick Cave as a singer. Strong contender for my votes.

The YouTube clip is blocked here, so I had to turn to Spotify. The live recording I could access was at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre 2011 (from the album Songbook). I don't know if it is the same version, but I have to listen to something. More singer/songwriter, but the song does little for me, unfortunately.

Edited by The Anders - September 28 2020 at 16:42
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 10:41
Sad I am, that I didn't find more time to listen to the playlists and comment on all of the suggestions posted here. Despite the melancholy and the sadness taking us over, I suppose we all found comfort in the great music once again put up here.

So, I will only get to my final votes and some mentions this time. The three that stood out for my this time were:
- Tenhi - Surunuotta : Very beautiful and original; makes me want to explore more of their music!
- Weyes Blood - Wild Time : Maybe a bit more conventional but not less a mesmerizing and beautiful song. I read she did some more experimental things? Might be interesting to explore too...
- Fairport Convention - Reynardine : Classic, maybe, but a beauty too. And a classic beauty remains a beauty!

Those who stranded at the foot of the podium are Foyer des Arts (heard of them before, but never dived into their music - something I have to do now) and Sebastian (those grey cats made me purr...)

And from those that didn't make the final nominations but that were good discoveries to me (and definitely worth exploring more of them): The Antlers, Neko Case and Anna von Hausswolff. With Tenhi and Weyes Blood they drew more than just my attention...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 10:06
Zero votes...

Nick Cave is crying...

"Happiness is real only when shared"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 09:47
My favorites  for the Crying Game:

-Sufjan Stevens-'Death with dignity'.....heard the name before...very pretty and light...and sad....reminds me a   bit of Eliot Smith.
-Ray Lamontagne-'All the wild horses'......again heard the name before...simple but beautiful and sad
 I think my daughter and son in law saw him a few years back,
-Fairport Convention- 'Reynardine'.....Sandy Denny....even though I know the music well...and a big fan...well ,    her voice is exquisite so how could I not choose this 

Edited by dr wu23 - September 28 2020 at 09:48
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 19:12
My votes:
1) Reyardine
2) One and Only
3) Old Laughing Lady

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 17:49
My Podium:

1) Chris Cornell: Like A Stone

2) Anthony and the Johnsons: The Lake

3) Split Enz: Stranger Than Fiction

------

Honorable mentions:

4) Tenhi : Surunuotta.

5) Wild Time: Weyes Blood

6) Fairport Convention: Reynardine

"Happiness is real only when shared"
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 17:28
My votes:

Young Dubliners - "One and Only"
Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Sebastian - "De grå katte"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 17:10
I'll vote for the really outstanding Tenhi, I'm a fan of Sufjan Stevens, this album is a masterpiece, and that song is a good pick, and the third spot goes to Antony and the Johnsons.

Romance is a good one that I've heard probably too often. Ray Lamontagne and Fairport Convention are very good and suitable as well, except that today I'm not in the mood for them. I also like the Young Dubliners and Wild Time, except that they don't come over as that sad to me, music-wise. Nick Cave is a good artist for this poll but I'd probably have picked something else from him, same Neil Young.   

Edited by Lewian - September 27 2020 at 17:12
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 11:53

1. Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
2. Sebastian - "De grå katte"
3. Young Dubliners - "One and Only"

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 08:59
^ Glad that Tenhi got some recognition here. I met with their music many many years ago, and they're one of my favourites regarding minimalistic dark music. (That's how Wikipedia defines them and I couldn't agree more.) A perfect companion for a person living in solitude, especially in winter season. When I first heard their music, I was at my summerhouse in winter where/when you can see almost nobody when you go out. (There was a good chance that you meet zero person when you take an hours of walk.)

Edited by Shadowyzard - September 27 2020 at 09:02
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 08:37
I regretfully have made my final decisions regarding this poll.  So much sadness, almost too much to be borne.  I have no idea why I am not yet deceased from grief, for how can a heart keep beating and lungs keep breathing when they are so weighted by sorrow?  Here, then, is my miserable accounting:

1.     Tenhi “Surunuotta” This one got me right from the start.  Love the minor key with an almost inaudible drone behind the guitar (?), then whispered vocals.  I don’t care that I don’t know the lyrics.  String squeaking, which I love (seriously).   Moves into the drone coming more forward (bowed strings).  Oh this is gorgeous and dark.  I will be seeking out more of this.  Thank you

2.   Antony and The Johnsons “The Lake” Piano is so perfect for these sad pieces.  Nice vibrato here, intriguing voice and some very deep strings underlying it all.  The lyrics have much more a sense of poetry rather than lyrics per se.  Beautiful.

3.  Weyes Blood “Wild Time”  Here again, very different.  I quite like this arrangement, the music has a very different feel and her voice is excellent.  I liked this one so much, it made the top 3.

Hon Mention:  Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds “Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere?”  I agree with your description of Nick Cave.  His release of last year, “Ghosteen,” is just stunning.  A gorgeous lament here, with very spare production, another excellent story-teller.  Probably only honorable mention, since I know of the artist, might have made the Top 3 if it was completely fresh to me, which is kind of how I try to vote most of the time.  Loved it.

Hon Mention: The Young Dubliners “One and Only”  I know of the band, but I’d never heard much from them.  The tin whistles give me chills, with the subject matter.  I have several friends who suffered through childhood sexual abuse, a subject that resonates with me.  Seeking more of them now that I’ve heard this, so thank you.

Hon Mention:  Foyer des Arts "Koennten Bienen Fliegen"  This one is very quiet, it sounds almost like a lullaby to my ears, without looking at the lyrics.  There is a fluttery sax sound and some washes behind picked guitar.  The lyrics seem a bit abstract to me (which, they probably are supposed to be).  A song to me of what life should be and isn’t, and is god to blame?  Enjoyed our conversation about how to view this piece.  Thank you.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 04:06
tough one, but let's see

Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
Neil Young - "The Old Laughing Lady"
Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 03:53
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

A bit more upbeat, yet still beautiful version of "Reynardine."  This one features another stellar singer, Jacqui McShee. 

Oh, how beautiful!
(I know I'm meant to hurry, listen to the playlist, and vote, and even maybe open another poll... did I say polls go too fast? Wink)
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 18:51
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

1. Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
2. Sebastian - "De grå katte"
3. Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"

There were some excellent selections once again, and I almost hate to vote in the end because I don't like having to eliminate all of the great entries.  It makes me so depressed, despondent and sad.  I'm so sorry everyone, I wish you could all be winners.  I think I'll go listen to the list again just to cheer up.   
  Glad you enjoyed that one, Mike.  I kinda thought it would be up your alley.  Smile
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>