Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Weep hard, for you must only choose three.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.52%]
4 [8.70%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
5 [10.87%]
3 [6.52%]
2 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.52%]
5 [10.87%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
    Posted: September 21 2020 at 18:09
Interactive Pool of Tears # :-( -- aka the "Tears for Ears" edition of the Interactive Poll series.

A poll so sad it should be in negative numbers.
Sad, melancholic, gloomy, dour, miserable, depressing, woeful, sorrowful, tearful, not jaunty songs.

Rule one: mention up to four sad/ melancholic songs*, but you can only nominate one because one is the loneliest number.

Rule two: When the time comes, then it's time for your miserable self to vote for three options.

By the way, your choices can be in PA, but then please try to go for lesser-known ones. And you don't need to pick as a winner the one that made you the most miserable.

So, let the tears commence!

But I don't want to leave my message on a sad note, here is Ken to cheer people up:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

My choices:

Kazuki Tomokawa - Boya (Little Boy)

The Antlers - "Kettering"

Mentioned this in another of these methinks so I don't plan to nominate it, but this is my favourite (along with Nick Drake's "River Man") melancholic song.

Nick Drake - "Fruit Tree"

A strong favourite of mine:

Vashti Bunyan - "Winter is Blue"

Edited to add the contributor's usernames in order of the poster's first nominations appearance. And this edit:

* Bonus songs are acceptable. For instance, here are four that I'm considering nominating and another twenty that are bonuses (that I might nominate being the implication). ;) It's called a loophole, and loopholes only work well when they are exploited -- especially when at the gallows. That said, too many embeds could cause a black hole/ rip a hole in the fabric of space-time which would make my cry if I had time to cry.

And of course you can vacillate from your given songs up until I call for final nominations and choose something else entirely. I plan to put the choices up by Friday at some time, although Sadurday mourning would be more fitting.

The Nominations list:

Logan: Sufjan Stevens -"Death with Dignity"
TCat: Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"
jamesbaldwin: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - "Far From Me" (live)
Meltdowner: Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
Cristi: Anathema - "Our Last Goodbye"
mathman0806: Chris Cornell - "Like a Stone"
The Dark Elf: Young Dubliners - "One and Only"
someone_else: Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Snicolette: Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"
Lewian: Foyer Des Arts - "Könnten Bienen Fliegen"
suitkees: Narciso Yepes - "Romance (Jeux interdits)"
The Anders: Sebastian - "De grå katte"
dr wu23: Neil Young - "The Old Laughing Lady"
I prophesy disaster: Split Enz - "Stranger Than Fiction"
Moshkito - Fairport Convention - "Reynardine"

Let the Crying Game commence!

Edited by Logan - September 26 2020 at 16:38
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 19:15
There must be something wrong with me because I love sad and depressing songs.  I should ask my psychiatrist.

Ryan Adams - "I Taught Myself How to Grow Old"  The lyrics included for added depression.  

Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"  Probably what you'll want to jump into after this is over.  Yet, it's beautifully hopeful.

Neko Case - "Make Your Bed"  A murderous wish.  I would hate to be on her bad side.

Band of Horses - "Heartbreak on the 101"  Poignant and sad, wanting to be hopeful, but in the end, why try?

This last one is not in the running since I have already maxed out, but is still a favorite, and probably the most popular one of the others that I've posted, and I just wanted to add it to my miserable collection of darkness and gloom.

Beck - "Lost Cause"

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2020 at 23:02
I will find a song or two.  I love the gallows humour thing going on in this thread, already.  I will endeavour to find a few terribly lachrymose songs. 
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 03:51
My four nominations:

1) The Smiths: I Know It's Over (live, 1986, from the album Rank)

And now what I consider to be one of the greatest masters in sad, melancholic, gloomy, dour, miserable, depressing, woeful, sorrowful, tearful, not jaunty songs.

2) Nick Cave: Where Do We Go But Nowhere

3) Nick Cave: Far From me (live)

4) Nick Cave: We Came Along This Road (live)

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 22 2020 at 03:54
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 04:04
I nominate Ken for the best haircut Big smile

There are quite a few songs I could have chosen but I picked the two songs that moved me the most this year:

Susanne Sundfør - Walls (she's on PA but only has a few reviews)

Weyes Blood - Wild Time

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 04:06
Ay! Nice theme and I'm sure I'll find something, but I'll take some time for voting in the other one first. Much work these days.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 04:26

I'll be back for some more songs. 

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 05:41
Alice in Chains "Down In A Hole"

Nirvana "Something In The Way"

Velvet Revolver "Fall To Pieces"

Chris Cornell "Like A Stone" 

I wasn't intending to go in this direction but ended up with tragically deceased singers from the grunge era. 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 06:24
The first is a tale of child sexual abuse. Very heavy subject and extremely sad, but the composition as well as the lyrics are brilliant...

The next is more bittersweet and inspirational. I've always loved Ian Hunter...

Perhaps the best composition of Elton John's career, and it wasn't even a hit. Perhaps because it is about a mass murderer...

And lastly, the most prog any members of CSN ever got (in this case, Crosby & Nash with guitar and background vocals by James Taylor), with a message even more poignant today than 40 some years ago...

Bonus track (I blame Greg/Logan for opening up the torrents)...

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 22 2020 at 06:41
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 07:47
Bonuses are a bonus. I won't stop at four.

Thanks everyone, some I know already and some I didn't. I almost mentioned a The Smiths myself. Maybe someone will bring up a The Cure song.

Mention this a lot, but I love Cat Steven's "Trouble" so very much that I'm going to mention it again. It's one of my all-time favourite songs.

And for another Stevens:

Sufjan Stevens- "Death With Dignity" (I might actually nominate this one).

And in PA, Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song" and his version of Elvis Costello's "Shipbuilding" for its somber atmosphere gets a nod.

Edited by Logan - September 22 2020 at 07:54
thepenultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the penultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 07:52
there are two really sad songs on The Cure's Wish album, I wanted to post, but maybe later. 

Edited by Cristi - September 22 2020 at 07:53
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 09:58
This theme prevents me from clearing off for the time being. My candidates:

Tenhi - Surunuotta (2011)
A track off an album by a Finnish band filed under Prog Folk, which was ranked #7 on my 2011 AotY list. The entire album could be nominated.

Joy Division - The Eternal (1980)
A long time favourite of mine.

John Cale - Broken Bird (1982)

Anna von Hausswolff - Deathbed (2013)
La Hausswolff's most beautiful song, imho.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 10:26
So far, these are my favorites from the Interactive Pool of Tears.....

Logan:  Nick Drake - "Fruit Tree" and The Atlers - "Kettering" CryCryCryCryCry
TCat your songs are just too depressing to rate.  Brighten things up a bit would you, I can't bear to listen to this drivel.
Lorenzo:  The Smiths - "I Know It's Over" and Nick Cave - "Far From Me" UnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappy
Meltdowner:  Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"  CryCryCryCryCry
Cristi:  The Scorpions - "Yellow Raven" and Max Richter - "On the Nature of Daylight"  Broken HeartThumbs DownShockedOuchCry

That's as far as I could go up to now as the window beckons me to leap through it, I can't go on and will refrain until later.  Five sad emoticons are used to replace stars as stars are too damn bright for this thread and they also eventually die anyway.....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 10:44
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

So far, these are my favorites from the Interactive Pool of Tears.....

Logan:  Nick Drake - "Fruit Tree" and The Atlers - "Kettering" CryCryCryCryCry
TCat your songs are just too depressing to rate.  Brighten things up a bit would you, I can't bear to listen to this drivel.
Lorenzo:  The Smiths - "I Know It's Over" and Nick Cave - "Far From Me" UnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappy
Meltdowner:  Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"  CryCryCryCryCry
Cristi:  The Scorpions - "Yellow Raven" and Max Richter - "On the Nature of Daylight"  Broken HeartThumbs DownShockedOuchCry

That's as far as I could go up to now as the window beckons me to leap through it, I can't go on and will refrain until later.  Five sad emoticons are used to replace stars as stars are too damn bright for this thread and they also eventually die anyway.....

LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 11:21
I have listened to most everything posted, but have been feeling too despondent to even post my sad-faced reactions (except for my Patreon subscribers who get exclusive content of me at my most miserable) . I keep looking deep into Ken's big eyes to comfort me during this process, but really I know he only has eyes for that Barbie girl. Damn that hussy! Life in plastic, it's not fantastic, Ken.

P.S. Good stuff. :D
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 11:56
I dearly regret to inform you that I've decided to participate in this most grievous poll.  Cry

From Connie Dover, "The Wishing Well"  

From Roy Wood, "The Rain Came Down On Everything" Note that at the beginning, Annie Haslam does her best to break glass.  That high, sustained note is her voice.

And from one of kings of capturing sadness, I could post about 20 of this songs here, Tom Rapp, with "The Snow Queen"  

And a fourth this time, Ray LaMontagne's "All The Wild Horses"  

It is time for me to depart and to consider if my wretched life is worth continuing.  CryCry

Edited by Snicolette - September 22 2020 at 15:35
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 12:00
Maybe on the surface this is not that sad but I find it very touching. Nik Kershaw wrote it for his oldest son with whom he apparently fell out at some point - "please come back and see us all one day". 

Edited by Lewian - September 22 2020 at 12:04
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 12:18
Thank you Logan, for getting the tissue-industry through the current covid19-crisis; your effort will be much appreciated!
Wasn't expecting from Cristi to come up with something by Max Richter. Great choice! Thumbs Up
I was immediately thinking of Henryk Gorecki's Symphony n° 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), especially the Polish interpretation on a cheep Naxos CD edition (which I prefer over the probably more famous version with Dawn Upshaw...). Fits the bill, but it is probably a bit too long to include...

And thank you Logan again, for giving me a sub-theme to my choices... Cinema!
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Rule one: mention up to four sad/ melancholic songs, but you can only nominate one because one is the loneliest number.

Aimee Mann - One (from the film Magnolia by Paul Thomas Anderson):

Two: I discovered this film during my film studies, and this piece of music has followed me ever since: Narciso Yepes - Romance (adapted for the film Jeux interdits by René Clément):

Three: a brilliant composition for one of the most brilliant films of all time: Michael Nyman - Memorial (written for the film The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover by Peter Greenaway):

Four: Not written for the film, but it suits it very well: Arvo Pärt - Spiegel im Spiegel (used in the film Gerry by Gus van Sant - I found a short version...):

Hope you will get over it...

Edited by suitkees - September 22 2020 at 12:46

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:04
Sebastian - De grå katte (1983)

English translation:

De grå katte / The grey cats

Is someone waiting?
Is there a reason to go?
I say thank you and send
kisses to you, my friends
All cats are grey
All cats are grey

Walking with clenching hands
What about all the things we should do?
I may be a bit bitter, I send
smiles to you my friends
All cats are grey
All cats are grey

In small private intrigues
there is often flattery to get
And the air is so heavy that I scream
- I keep quiet -
All cats are grey
All cats are grey

Are you asking for a meaning?
Can you see the scene is oblique?
We're fighting in the outfit of our time:
dreams and isolation
All cats are grey
All cats are grey

But there is:
always someone waiting
other colours to get
The artificial lighting disappears
The day awakens and finds
all the cats to be grey
red, yellow and blue

Edited by The Anders - September 22 2020 at 13:42
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:07
@TCat: Your Band of Horses vid didn't work for me; this one, from the artists' own channel, does...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>