Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Weep hard, for you must only choose three.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.52%]
4 [8.70%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
5 [10.87%]
3 [6.52%]
2 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.52%]
5 [10.87%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:13
@The Anders: A YT of De grå katte that works for me (and probably for most of us):

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:33
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@The Anders: A YT of De grå katte that works for me (and probably for most of us):

Thanks for providing the clip, but I couldn't access it myself. Almost all Danish music is blocked in Denmark on YouTube at the moment, along with lots of other music. This is due to a conflict between Google and the Danish copyright agency KODA about the license fee that YouTube have to pay to use Danish music.

Edited by The Anders - September 22 2020 at 13:35
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 13:45
I'll also try something in my native language. Maybe my favourite lyrics ever.
Max Goldt, lyricist and singer of Foyer des Arts in the eighties and really a magician with words, now is a pretty successful writer in Germany. He writes mostly satirical and funny stuff. Foyer Des Arts at the time also did much fun stuff with weird lyrics. Musically I think they are very underrated, actually a pretty good band but not very well known, and if so mainly for their fun lyrics.

The "Koennten Bienen Fliegen" lyrics start off in surreal Foyer Des Arts style. The music was a bit calmer and more serious than what they normally did, but when I heard it for the first time, nothing prepared me for how hard the fourth verse would hit, in which in my understanding it is explained what happened, and how it would bring it all together. Unfortunately you will not have the same experience but anyway, I'm curious whether any of this works for people who don't speak the language.

Here's my pedestrian translation of the lyrics. (I recommend to read it slowly while listening.)

Könnten Bienen fliegen (If bees could fly)

If bees could fly
there would be splendor in every garden;
but they take the train
and bicker at the ticket machine.

If horses could gallop
there would be games and sport and party;
but they grapple in the wheelchair
and smoke self-rolled cigarettes.

If hearts could beat
they'd beat with lots of love;
but they only rustle nervously
like young thieves.

If people could talk
the world would explode into thousand pieces;
but they don't talk -
and some jump quietly from a train bridge.

If bees could fly
they'd fly to the middle of the sky;
the sky would open up,
and god would ask for forgiveness.

Edited by Lewian - September 22 2020 at 13:46
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 14:44
Wow, some powerful stuff here that can really darken your day.  If you need a break with a quick pick me up though, click on this one (straight from the archives by the way):

East of Eden - "Jig a Jig"

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 15:04
^ From a jaunty jig-a-jig to a hangman's jig.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 16:46
Mike: I like all of your choices very much, knew the Beck already (good one), but Antony & the Johnsons' "The Lake" musically moved me the most.

Lorenzo: I was thinking about doing a The Smiths song and then forgot about it. Good one. Nick Cave is a great one for this. My particular fave of your choices is "Where Do We Go But Nowhere?" Love that.

Samuel: I'd also nominate Ken for the best haircut -- lol. I've heard various Susanne Sundfør songs, but not that. I really love that, and the Weyes Blood - Wild Time (that is so up my alley). Those have similarities, but are also very different. I'd have a hard time choosing between them. Weyes Blood I will definitely be exploring more. It's very much my kind of thing.

Cristi: Knew and loved that Max Richter already. Considered it myself before making the poll but then decided that my choices would be songs rather than instrumentals. It's a very, very beautiful piece. I like that Scorpions "Yellow Raven" a great deal -- heard Scorpions from that time (controversial album as I recall) but not in a long time.

Geo: Nothing sadder than grungy dudes making music. ;) Just kidding, I think my favourite of those is Chris Cornell's "Like A Stone"

Greg: I've long loved that Traci Chapman, my brother gave that album to me as a gift. Irene Wild may be new to me and I enjoyed that very much (that would be my particular pick of your bunch).

Robert: I was touched by Tenhi - Surunuotta. Excellent. I've heard Tenhi before. Excellent. The Anna von Hausswolff I'd heard and is excellent in its own way, but Tenhi would be my particular choice though both are great (as are the others you posted).

Nickie: All your choices are very good. I wonder if Connie Dover could be related to Ben? Erm... Loves Pearls Before Swine, but my favourite of those might be "All the Wild Horses".

Lewian: I like various Nik Kershaw music, hadn't heard that that I can recall. The Foyer des Arts one is strangely familiar...

Kees: I certainly had that song in my head when I wrote "one is the loneliest number." I like that song. That Narciso Yepes guitar piece is one of my favourites, and the first thing I ever played on the guitar as my memory goes (using one string).   Yeah, I got mad guitar technique. Michael Nyman is one of my favourite composers and The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover is one of my favourite films. That video isn't working for me. Arvo Pärt's Spiegel im Spiegel is beautiful.

Anders: A YT of De grå katte is very cool and interesting. I like it.

I was stoic, at least that is until Jig-a-Jig. It gets you right in the jig-a-jugular.

Thanks y'all.

Edited by Logan - September 22 2020 at 16:56
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 17:36

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Rule one: mention up to four sad/ melancholic songs, but you can only nominate one because one is the loneliest number.

Aimee Mann - One (from the film Magnolia by Paul Thomas Anderson):

I thought of Aimee Mann's version of that too. Considered "Save Me" from the same movie before I flipped to grunge. In an alternative rock mood, here's another version of the song.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 18:12

Mike: I like all of your choices very much, knew the Beck already (good one), but Antony & the Johnsons' "The Lake" musically moved me the most.

Thanks Logan.  All of these songs mean a lot to me, for some reason, the sad and melancholic ones always seem to comfort me when I've had a bad day, strange how that works.  I've been waiting for the perfect time to post the Antony & the Johnsons track, and you provided that with this thread.  By the way, did you know that he sung on some of Current 93's albums?

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 18:51

@TCat: Your Band of Horses vid didn't work for me; this one, from the artists' own channel, does...

Glad you found one that works (or maybe I'm sad for you).  I assume it's the same version, since your version doesn't work in my country and that makes me even sadder.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 18:52
Am taking these in smaller doses than I often do, just a busy week with having to go to 3 different appointments that I'd spread out originally and then had to reschedule due to the wildfires out here.  All is good right where I am now, but it was a rough couple of weeks, the smoke was awful and we were close enough to one fire to have to keep ready just in case we had to leave, which, thankfully, never happened.

Happy to be here to be teary with all of you, lol!  These are my thoughts on the first four and a sad lot of music it is, indeed.  

Logan:  Kazuki Tomokawa - Boya (Little Boy)  Begins with some quiet piano notes and a somber male vocal.  Nicely understated orchestration with flute.  Couldn’t find a translation for the lyrics, want to see if it’s as sad as the music makes it.  The Antlers “Kettering”  More piano and this time, a more wistful sad vocal.  Very mournful in feel, builds in the middlish to a crescendo into a dirge-like feel.  Nick Drake “Fruit Tree”  very familiar with this, definitely a sad, mournful tune, pretty much Nick Drake defines this genre.  Vashti Bunyan “Winter Is Blue”  Also familiar with this one.  Perfectly sad and pretty.

Mike:  Ryan Adams “I Taught Myself How to Grow Old”  I like this much better than I like his more rocker-type tunes, which are what I’ve heard more of from him.  His very slight rasp with his voice almost breaking works well for a melancholy piece.  The strings are lovely in this also.  Antony and The Johnsons “The Lake” Piano is so perfect for these sad pieces.  Nice vibrato here, intriguing voice and some very deep strings underlying it all.  The lyrics have much more a sense of poetry rather than lyrics per se.  Beautiful.  Neko Case “Make Your Bed” Oh, this is very good!  The quiet rage of revenge well told.  😊Band of Horses “Heartbreak on the 101”  Sing-songy raspy vocalist, wonder where he was on the 101, it’s a long road.  Nice violin here again, goes into plinky bits for emphasis.  One kind of thinks he might not quite yet be “over it.”  Well produced, strong story-telling. Beck “Lost Cause”  Live long enough and you probably know a lost cause or two, or ya might even be one, or have been one that finally stopped being lost.  Kind of light feel to the music, but certainly a sad subject.

Lorenzo  “The Smiths”  Beautiful voice, a classic sounding torch song.  The end repeating line is absolutely tragically sad!  Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds “Where Do We Go Now But Nowhere?”  I agree with your description of Nick Cave.  His release of last year, “Ghosteen,” is just stunning.  A gorgeous lament here, with very spare production, another excellent story-teller.  “Far From Me”   A song of feeling that someone is absent in more than one way, the relationship was as empty as he is left feeling now that it’s done, it seems to me from this.  Fabulous musicians here, it’s very hard to play this kind of thing, it can’t be rushed and it isn’t, even in a live setting.  “We Came Along This Road”  The live setting is really remarkable with him, he has such a tortured aura, very confessional and intimate delivery.    Love the violin here, too, very expressive. 

Samuel: Susanne Sundfor “Walls”  A big changeup from Nick Cave, here and a heckuva a lot more hope in her sadness.  A bit of vibrato in her voice, kind of sweet and again, a nice change from the dark and tortured (although I do enjoy a lot of that, too).  Somehow she reminds me a little of Melanie.  Weyes Blood “Wild Time”  Here again, very different.  I quite like this arrangement, the music has a very different feel and her voice is excellent.  I like this one a lot. 

Edited by Snicolette - September 22 2020 at 19:11
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 21:10
4 songs that have always brought a tear to my eye...they are well known artists...but I am pretty traditional in my music tastes,  so......I hope they touch you in some small way.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:37
Going into bonus territory with my liking of novelty songs, did anyone else think of this one?

It's funny-sad (or is it sad-funny).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:54
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:23
I decided to put up one, just one, from Progarchives. And the winner of that competition that I did with myself is the song of the clearly self-destructive Selma in "Dancer in the Dark" who is going blind but doesn't care.
Björk - I've Seen It All

Probably too many know it so ultimately I may not nominate it - still one of those that always move me to tears.
Actually I was also considering "Water out of Wine" by Tony Banks, but that album has surprisingly twice as many reviews as Björk's. 

Edited by Lewian - September 23 2020 at 07:26
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:03
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Mike:  Ryan Adams “I Taught Myself How to Grow Old”  I like this much better than I like his more rocker-type tunes, which are what I’ve heard more of from him.  His very slight rasp with his voice almost breaking works well for a melancholy piece.  The strings are lovely in this also.  Antony and The Johnsons “The Lake” Piano is so perfect for these sad pieces.  Nice vibrato here, intriguing voice and some very deep strings underlying it all.  The lyrics have much more a sense of poetry rather than lyrics per se.  Beautiful.  Neko Case “Make Your Bed” Oh, this is very good!  The quiet rage of revenge well told.  😊Band of Horses “Heartbreak on the 101”  Sing-songy raspy vocalist, wonder where he was on the 101, it’s a long road.  Nice violin here again, goes into plinky bits for emphasis.  One kind of thinks he might not quite yet be “over it.”  Well produced, strong story-telling. Beck “Lost Cause”  Live long enough and you probably know a lost cause or two, or ya might even be one, or have been one that finally stopped being lost.  Kind of light feel to the music, but certainly a sad subject.

Thanks for the comments Nicki.  I always appreciate your comments and they help pull me out of the despair of songs like these.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:43
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Thanks for the comments Nicki.  I always appreciate your comments and they help pull me out of the despair of songs like these.
  Awwwwww, shucks.  The comments also help me in finding my initial impression and seeing if it changes on second listen, when the choices are made and I go back through those selections again.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:51
mathman - Being a fan of grunge, I know all of these versions very well, that is, except for the Chris Cornell solo version of his great Soundgarden song "Like a Stone".  This version really brings out the meanings of the lyrics and drive me right down into deep despair.  CryCryCryCryCry

The Dark Elf - The Young Dubliners - "One and Only"  This one really rocks but people would only dance to it if they were already depressed.  UnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappyUnhappy

Logan - Your second set only serves to drive the listener further down into depression, but the one that stands out is Sufjan Stevens - "Death with Dignity".  I'm familiar with some of his work but not this one. 
 ErmmErmmErmmErmmErmm

someone_else - I enjoyed all of your selections, but Anna von Hausswolff's "Deathbed" is at the top of my list out of all that I've listened to so far.  Excellently depressing, dark and deep, this one would grab my attention in any thread.  Great choices. If you were anyone else, I would give a thumbs up, but since you are someone else, and this is a depressing thread you get 5 strong thumbs down.  Thumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs DownThumbs Down

Nicki - I'm sorry that I really liked all of your selections too.  I always intended to hear what Roy Wood sounded like after splitting off of The Move and Electric Light Orchestra.  And I'm always interested in hearing Tom Rapp's songs, this one is appropriately dour.  But my favs are Connie Dover and Ray LaMontagne (the latter is one that I have a few of his albums, but I didn't know this song which makes me want to go play in traffic).  Great choices once again.  OuchOuchOuchOuchOuch

Lewian - I'm always a Nik Kershaw fan and this is one I haven't heard, so great post.  Foyer des Arts really stands out and thank you for putting up the lyrics.  Those are definitely powerful, and I can imagine how much more powerful they must be in the native language.  Do you know of any nice trains that I can jump out of?  ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

suitkees - Avro Part - "Spiegel im Spiegel" is a beautifully morbid piece that is my favorite out of your choices.  Amie Mann does okay with One, but I do like Filter's version better and was familiar with it before this.  The other three were excellent choices, but the Part track really stands out for me.  DisapproveDisapproveDisapproveDisapproveDisapprove

The Anders - Sebastian's Gray Cat is another top contender for me right now.  Hopefully that doesn't bring you down since I loved it so much.  The lyrics are excellent and should make me even more paranoid when a cat crosses in front of me (Damn, I just popped a blister).  NukeNukeNukeNukeNuke

TCat - East of Eden - Jig a Jig I only have one response for this .... Question

Ok that's all I can handle today.  If I don't quit now I will be conjuring up Jack Kevorkian.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:41
Now we're all crying, let's cry together. Here's a song to incite us to do so. André van Duin was one of the great comedians in the Netherlands and this song was on top of the charts in 1982 (what does that say about the Dutch? Ermm)
(there's a twist in the finale of this video @ 2'30 that will make us all cry together... )

André van Duin - Als je huilt (When you cry - lyrics translated below):

When your girlfriend sends you a letter with a bomb
When your goldfish has drowned in his own bowl
When you look at your wife and suddenly it makes you sick
When sitting down you do it on your new hat

When you go hunting and the rabbits start shooting back
When you cut yourself while shaving in your back
When you start dancing on a mine that you didn't see
Then you have a reason, a real reason to cry

Cry it out over the rooftops, nothing to do with others when you cry
Let those tears stream freely, let the downpour come when you cry

Because when you can cry I will cry with you
And when we cry together, we will just cry for two.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Thanks Logan.  All of these songs mean a lot to me, for some reason, the sad and melancholic ones always seem to comfort me when I've had a bad day, strange how that works.  I've been waiting for the perfect time to post the Antony & the Johnsons track, and you provided that with this thread.  By the way, did you know that he sung on some of Current 93's albums?

I did not. The only album in my collection by Current 93 is All the Pretty Little Horses which features Nick Cave (I have a thing for 1996) although I have listened to more Current 93. I listened to some of Anohni's (Antony) songs in collaboration with Current 83 and they are perfect for this topic. Of course Current 93 fits well on its own.

Lewian: I like that Bjork song very much and love the film Dancer in the Dark, which I saw in the cinema when it came out (after that I moved and stopped getting to see such interesting fare in the cinemas regularly). It's very memorable. She just did what she thought she had to do.

Doug, I love that Neil Young song.

Edited by Logan - September 23 2020 at 13:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 19:42
It seems as if the grief will never end.Cry  Here are some more inital depressing thoughts, starting with Logan's second additions and continuing on a bit more down the doleful entries.

Logan: Leonard Cohen “Famous Blue Raincoat”  Classic Cohen track here, a master at chillingly sad songs.  The way-back harmonies behind the deep voice and dark acoustic guitar, just perfect production for this piece.  Cat Stevens “Trouble”  One of my favourite films of all time!  Got to meet Bud Cort once and he was so very charming.  He had a Boston Terrier, was at a party I was at up in Laurel Canyon, this was in the 80’s.  Still looked like he was about 15 years old, lol.  That being said, this is such a touching moment in the film, Cat Stevens songs throughout it were just perfect.  I often think of this song when I am confronted once again with something I just really wish wasn’t happening, to me or those I love.  Sufjan Stevens “Death With Dignity”  Now I didn’t know of him before these polls, I did listen to a bunch after the first time he appeared, didn’t hear this one then.  He’s got a very distinctive sound, which is also strong here.  Good storytelling with soft treatment, goes into a choral wash, probably the moment of death. Perfectly morose. 

Cristi:  Max Richter “On the Nature of Daylight” Minimalist, lush and deep strings.  I really like this one a lot, nice to have an instrumental in this category, some sorrow is too deep for words.  Anathema “One Last Goodbye” Ballad to the one who is gone, singer grieving what can never be again.  Soaring lead guitar with fabulous tone at 4+ in.  Scorpions “Yellos Raven”  A rock ballad, but in a bit more heavy style as opposed to more progressive style of Anathema.  Double guitars, a bluesy feel to it as well.

George:  I must preface this with being very familiar with the era/genre of all of these.  We did every Lollapalooza tour from 1991 to 1997, so I saw all of these bands, and we also built buses for the GNR guys.  Grunge really worked well acoustically, nice choice to choose all acoustic versions, extra credit for deceased singers (another of my favourite kinds of singers, sadly Cry).  Alice In Chains “Down in a Hole”  Nice acoustic grunge here.  Nirvana “Something In The Way”  More deep sadness and gloom (which is perfect for the category, of course). Velvet Revolver “Fall to Pieces”  I personally am not a big fan of Slash, I have a hard time reconciling his personality enough to enjoy him, so sorry (despite the fact that we did build a bus for him).  Chris Cornell “Like A Stone”  He had such a great voice.  This was very well done, nice video, too. 

Greg:  The Young Dubliners “One and Only”  I know of the band, but I’d never heard much from them.  The tin whistles give me chills, with the subject matter.  I have several friends who suffered through childhood sexual abuse, including Jano Brindisi, who I posted a song from, quite a while ago, who wrote a great song about it, “The Eleventh Commandment,” (Honor Thy Children).  So a subject that resonates well with me.  I also will seek out some other stuff by them, I like their sound a lot, so thank you!  Ian Hunter “Irene Wilde”  I lived through the glam era, but many seemed to just kind of blur (like heavy metal bands for me), so I kind of stopped listening, we were much more into progressive if it was going to be electric.  That being said, interesting ballad with a bit of a twist.  Elton John “Ticking”  I actually went to an Elton John concert (a couple of years before this) and Family opened the show, for which I am grateful.  Anyway, this is how I like Elton John best, I just hated “Bennie and the Jets.”  Also loved when they did more orchestral production of his (and Bernie Taupin’s) material.  His playing, of course, is stellar and he’s got a great voice.  Crosby, Stills & Nash “To The Last Whale:  Critical Mass/Wind on the Water”  Just love this, I am very familiar with it, a staple of LA area radio while I lived there.  Stellar vocals, music with a message, so beautifully done.  Definitely agreed even more poignant today…I still haven’t forgotten the message.  Vote.   Tracy Chapman “Behind the Wall”  Oh, I remember this one very well.  What a beautiful voice she has, what a find in those days with the resurgence of female singer/songwriters.  Message music again, I quite approve.

Someone Else: Tenhi “Surunuotta” This one got me right from the start.  Love the minor key with an almost inaudible drone behind the guitar (?), then whispered vocals.  I don’t care that I don’t know the lyrics.  String squeaking, which I love (seriously).   Moves into the drone coming more forward (bowed strings).  Oh this is gorgeous and dark.  I will be seeking out more of this.  Thank you.  Joy Division “The Eternal” Properly dirge-like musically.  Bit of nasal quality to the vocalist, it’s in a good way though.  The lyrics are properly funereal as well.  John Cale “Broken Bird”  Familiar with his name, haven’t heard a lot, though, outside of the VU.  Like the harpsichord sound, along with the electric piano.  Bitter lyrics and passionate vocal deliver.  Anna von Hausswolff “Deathbed”  She just recently came to my knowledge (comparatively speaking), I really enjoyed her Dead Magic release and the video for “The Mysterious Vanishing of Electra,” this song will be new to me.  Organ notes with a sustained electric guitar riding over, almost impossible to describe this music, since I don’t know the technical terminology.  It is very moody (should be, with the title).  The guitar continues with big drum sound about halfway through. Then we have her vocals.  Definitely haunting. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>