Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Poll Question: Weep hard, for you must only choose three.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.52%]
4 [8.70%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
5 [10.87%]
3 [6.52%]
2 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.52%]
5 [10.87%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

Don't encourage people to post sickeningly saccharine melodrama. You might end up with something like...

Ha!  Good one!  What about this one?

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:58

I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Good thing I brought that box of tissues!
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 14:46
For my submissions, I'll take advantage of the allowance of prog in the poll. For my first submission, I choose a track from one of my all-time favourite albums. The group is well-known in my part of the world, though this album is their lesser-known debut:

Split Enz - Stranger Than Fiction

For my second submission, I choose two consecutive tracks that I think belong together, and want to be treated as a single submission. The album is of course well-known, but think the tracks themselves are lesser-known tracks from the album:

Pink Floyd - Hey You + Is There Anybody Out There

For my third submission, I choose a track that is a tribute to Keith Ellis that was written shortly after his death:

Peter Hammill - Not For Keith

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 16:27

This one, by Jacques Brel and Rod McKuen, was covered by many in the 60's, even Tom Rapp did a version....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 16:29
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

For my submissions, I'll take advantage of the allowance of prog in the poll. For my first submission, I choose a track from one of my all-time favourite albums. The group is well-known in my part of the world, though this album is their lesser-known debut:

Split Enz - Stranger Than Fiction

For my second submission, I choose two consecutive tracks that I think belong together, and want to be treated as a single submission. The album is of course well-known, but think the tracks themselves are lesser-known tracks from the album:

Pink Floyd - Hey You + Is There Anybody Out There

For my third submission, I choose a track that is a tribute to Keith Ellis that was written shortly after his death:

Peter Hammill - Not For Keith
  Videos removed for space:  

Split Enz “Stranger Than Fiction:” I know of the band, I love the way the song starts.  Several switchups right near the beginning.  Not a fan of the singer of this band, however, even though I like them musically.  The theme of the song fits this category well, however.  Pink Floyd “Hey You + Is There Anybody Out There”  Who the heck are these guys?  😉  Good choice to put the two tracks together for listening to.  Peter Hammill “Not For Keith”  Seems like there are two camps with Peter Hammill, some love him, some hate him.  For me, it depends.  Here, his voice works for me.  The piano is wonderful.  Hadn’t heard this before, nice choice. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 16:35
While I suggested lesser know songs if going for Prog acts, that is not a rule, merely a suggestion. In this case I knew all of them -- I'd go with the Split Enz or Hammill myself. I'm planning to put the poll choices up today, maybe tonight in about six hours so the deadline lurks ominously close.

By the way, here is a rather upbeat, jaunty sounding one which has more morose lyrical content.

Belle and Sebastian - "Get Me Away From Here I Am Dying"

Edited by Logan - September 25 2020 at 16:40
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:20
SO we have:

Logan: Sufjan Stevens -"Death with Dignity"
TCat: Antony & the Johnsons - "The Lake"
jamesbaldwin: Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds - "Far From Me" (live)
Meltdowner: Weyes Blood - "Wild Time"
Cristi
mathman0806
The Dark Elf
someone_else: Tenhi - "Surunuotta"
Snicolette: Ray LaMontagne - "All the Wild Horses"
Lewian: Foyer Des Arts - "Könnten Bienen Fliegen"
suitkees:
The Anders: Sebastian - "De grå katte"
dr wu23: Neil Young - "The Old Laughing Lady"
I prophesy disaster: Split Enz - "Stranger Than Fiction"

Oh, And Moshkito mentioned a couple, so I will add one of those even if he doesn't choose which he prefers in that time.

Expect I missed various final nominations, will edit this post later. This is just to get me started in preparation for the upcoming poll (hope to have it up and running in about six hours). I like to give some space-time for people to listen over the weekend to all of the nominated choices before the next poll. goes up.

Edited by Logan - September 25 2020 at 17:46
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'd go with the Split Enz or Hammill myself.

My nomination goes to Split Enz.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:33
^ Thanks, that would have been my pick of yours, much as I do like the Hammill and Pink Floyds.

Edited by Logan - September 25 2020 at 17:34
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:37
I wanted to say, both the Pink Floyd and the Peter Hammill are very good suggestions, but of course super well known in these quarters, so a bit hard to vote for.

Björk got some very good feedback, but I think I encourage everyone to listen once more to the Foyer des Arts piece, even for me as a German it took more than one listen to fully appreciate it, so that's my nomination. Maybe it helps making you cry Evil Smile to think it's about a friend's suicide, but see my last posting to Nicky, who can be sure?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:47
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Lewian additions:  Foyer des Arts "Koennten Bienen Fliegen"  This one is very quiet, it sounds almost like a lullaby to my ears, without looking at the lyrics.  There is a fluttery sax sound and some washes behind picked guitar.  The lyrics seem a bit abstract to me (which, they probably are supposed to be).  A song to me of what life should be and isn’t, and is god to blame? 

This is quite interesting, because to me it seemed crystal clear that this is a song about a person, probably a friend, who committed suicide, and the inability to help through communication, probably because this person wouldn't talk (verse 4), maybe in a situation in which love was not reciprocated or only pretended (verse 3). But talking for people, one should think, is so natural, like bees flying, horses gallopping etc.!

Now I'm writing this not to tell you that you are wrong, but rather to say that this makes me realise how different people are and interpretations can be. Because I was never 100% sure whether my interpretation is really true (I don't know the background story), and sometimes I asked myself (1) whether I'm actually right about this, but also (2) whether my doubts should embarrass me because it is maybe so clear to everyone else that I shouldn't even have doubts? 

So I like a lot that you come up with another interpretation, showing me that one can really understand this in a different way. Intuitively I'm pretty sure that I'm right, also from the singing, however I have no idea how reliable that is. (Of course the problem may be my translation, but I don't think so - I may not have transmitted the brilliance of Goldt's words, however the literal meaning of the words, maybe without the odd allusion, should come over. Obviously I had my interpretation in mind when translating this.)

PS: Maybe the issue is not so much the translation as it is, but rather that if it's your native language, you can make much more sense also of how the singer emphasises specific words.

I only became aware listening to it for the second time, having already this interpretation in mind, how painful the singing and the sax actually are.
  Sorry for not responding sooner to this, I first saw it pre-coffee, this am and wanted to think on what you'd said a bit more before responding from my usual rising fog.  Now that you bring it to my attention, I can indeed see it as also this.  Kind of reminds me how much poetry has more than one meaning and definitely each person brings their own personal experience into interpreting it.  I like the way you describe the singing and sax, it does convey the mood of the piece perfectly, especially in thinking of it from your viewpoint.  Once again, I learn something new from you.  :)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 17:53
Thanks, Lewian. This has all felt a bit rushed to me. Guess the work-week has flown by, but then I rushed putting together this topic.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

A couple of items/thoughts on these things ... 

One More Chance - Fairport Convention sung by Sandy Denny, and the remastered album has a piano version that is even more haunting. The album version appears to be a tribute to her. I always feel like ... she didn't get another chance!

Battered Ornaments/Pete Brown - My Love is Gone Far Away ... a song about the love has gone away with some incredible guitar work. Chris Spedding on guitar!

That Battered Ornaments one is very cool. Love it.

Edited by Logan - September 25 2020 at 17:55
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 22:05
SO I put the ones I know of up on the list, if I missed your nomination, please mention it. If I don't have the others in the next hour, then I will fill out the rest of the options tomorrow. Doesn't really matter.

It would help if people without their picks up in the list could post those (even if already mentioned).

I use this format: Artist Name - "Song"

It has felt too rushed, and I rushed my preparation of this topic too much. Don't know if the next poll will be up this Monday, but of course one need not have voted by then.

Edited by Logan - September 25 2020 at 22:06
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 23:19
I have not been so active in this poll. I have had busy work week and this playlist wasn't so conducive for me to even have on in the background as I worked. So much sadness! I was pretty much music free this week, so it wasn't just the theme. 

In any case, I'll nominate Chris Cornell "Like a Stone". 

I was leaning toward Nirvana, but after re-listening to the video I posted, it seemed off and the person who posted it on YouTube had altered the pitch in order to avoid the copyright bots. There is another official video on YouTube but it includes about 4 minutes of dialog at the end. Plus, the song is getting a lot of play right now as it is featured, and used to good effect, in the trailer for the new Batman movie. 

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 23:39

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

So, I don't really know this song, but I know a story related to the song. It was the song that was requested as a long distance dedication that lead to one of the infamous Casey Kasem outtakes. At 0:32 seconds onward.

Warning: some foul language. NSFW.

Then sound collage artists Negativland used it in their "I Still Haven't Found What I Am Looking For (Special Radio Edit Mix)" which is how I first found out about the Casey Kasem outtakes when a friend of mine gave me a copy on tape.

This is all sad, but in a funny pathetic sort of way.  

Edited by mathman0806 - September 25 2020 at 23:48
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 02:18
I guess I'll go with the Young Dubliners "One and Only" as it is the least known of my selections. Plus, I love the song.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 03:01
Haven't had enough time yet to go through all of the playlist, and probably will not have today either, but at the look of it there is some very interesting music again.

My nomination is: Narciso Yepes - Romance (Jeux interdits)

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 04:11
I choose Anathema - Our Last Goodbye as final nomination. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 04:40
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Sorry for not responding sooner to this, I first saw it pre-coffee, this am and wanted to think on what you'd said a bit more before responding from my usual rising fog.  Now that you bring it to my attention, I can indeed see it as also this.  Kind of reminds me how much poetry has more than one meaning and definitely each person brings their own personal experience into interpreting it.  I like the way you describe the singing and sax, it does convey the mood of the piece perfectly, especially in thinking of it from your viewpoint.  Once again, I learn something new from you.  :)

I knew you'd respond. Smile And thanks for your reflections!
By the way, re Björk, I think her voice is a unique force of nature, however some of her musical choices are hard to grasp. She has two absolutely stellar tracks apart from I've seen it all in my view, probably both all too well known, but I repost them anyway.

The first one is the one track that I'd put as number one example of human music on one of these spacecrafts that were sent out to testify human existence to extraterrestials. It says perfectly what being human is about... in case the extraterrestials figure out English of course.
The second is maybe the most moving thing I ever saw on TV.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 07:22
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Oh, And Moshkito mentioned a couple, so I will add one of those even if he doesn't choose which he prefers in that time.

Hi,

I have a real hard time selecting ... preferences, or favorites. To me, it makes all the music in the history of "progressive" just another song, and that hurts, when it was fairly obvious at the start that many bands were trying to break the "pop/radio" mold and create something more unique.

To me, PROGRESSIVE is still that, even in a time when formats and commercialism is more important than ever.

I cry on a lot of songs, that mean a lot for me ... if I have one song that stands out more than many, for example, would be FAIRPORT CONVENTION's Reynardine, with Sandy Denny's vocals ... it is just one of the prettiest things ever recorded! The other one I love dearly, and it has a different meaning, is AMON DUUL 2's song Apocalyptic Bore on the VIVE LA TRANCE album, and although the ladies (Baldies) seemed to suggest something quite different, in the end, the song is about the end of the "trip" for the band ... goodbye long cuts and far out jams ... and right after that? A bunch of songs that would fit some adventurous FM band radio station! And from then on, they had very few long pieces to show for their work, and while I still love the band, there is a certain amount of sadness about the romanticism of the earlier version and the incredible albums it put together all the way to the first half of VIVE LA TRANCE ... a term that fits the idea ... since you tend to say that only when something/someone is dead! 

Music for me is a ... an ... inner life ... it is not just a song that I remember the polka dots in the teeny tiny bikini ... if you need an example!

Now you know why some of these polls are so ... far from my tastes and choices ... I don't sit to KS or TD and think this or that ... I do to have a nice internal trip ... that never stops!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>