Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steven Wilson - New Single

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 13:03
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Oh gosh...the "sorry I offended you post..." LOL LOL Please don't worry about it, don't defend your posts positive or negative, stand tall...... 

Hi,

I think it was Monday Night Football way back when ... Conrad Dobler was told by someone that he was "cocky" when he played ... and he replied (translated!) ... "Wrong! I'm not cocky! I'm confident that I am going to get up and beat you in the next play!"

That's what "stand tall" means for me! 

SW is a musician searching for a soul he can't find anymore! He doesn't know what he wants to do, and he is afraid of the public's reaction will take down his empire! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 13:07

Pedro, I am sure you know that SW is a massive fan of Prince and has been for years. He made reference to his falsetto tone on the last tour with the song Same Asylum As Before, saying it was his attempt at sounding like Prince.
He tries, gotta give him that much........

Hi,

The concert here in Portland (Hand ...) he couldn't stop arguing that Prince was one of the best American composers ... he asked who is next? He gave in to FZ, but no one else! There were about two or three suggestions from the audience! But, seriously ... SW wouldn't even make it in a FZ band!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 14:37
First view of video and listen to the track just now.

Interesting, and a clear attempt to break from “traditional” progressive rock music. I can absolutely identify with the concept and lyrics. The threat of such a corporate dystopian future is very real, and will be more so after the disturbing times we live in. The video and concept borrow quite a lot from Waters in his Pink identity, but that is not such a bad thing.

I like the vocals. All in all, further proof that Wilson is very talented, and seeking to strike out in different and interesting new directions.

Funky, catchy, and makes me want to explore the forthcoming album.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 15:00
^That pretty much sums it up for me too.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 16:57
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

First view of video and listen to the track just now.

Interesting, and a clear attempt to break from “traditional” progressive rock music. I can absolutely identify with the concept and lyrics. The threat of such a corporate dystopian future is very real, and will be more so after the disturbing times we live in. The video and concept borrow quite a lot from Waters in his Pink identity, but that is not such a bad thing.

I like the vocals. All in all, further proof that Wilson is very talented, and seeking to strike out in different and interesting new directions.

Funky, catchy, and makes me want to explore the forthcoming album.

Hi Steve....hope all is well with you and yours across the pond. As I said I think he continues to be an artist in motion. It goes without saying I think he is extremely talented and very smart, he knows what he is doing. The guy is one of the most sought after recording and mastering engineers currently, he has an ear for how albums should sound.
I'm not a big Waters fan so that stuff generally does not resonate with me, I just want great music and as I stated I pre-ordered on the first release date as I am confident I will enjoy the whole album.....Just might take a few spins!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 17:06
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Pedro, I am sure you know that SW is a massive fan of Prince and has been for years. He made reference to his falsetto tone on the last tour with the song Same Asylum As Before, saying it was his attempt at sounding like Prince.
He tries, gotta give him that much........

Hi,

The concert here in Portland (Hand ...) he couldn't stop arguing that Prince was one of the best American composers ... he asked who is next? He gave in to FZ, but no one else! There were about two or three suggestions from the audience! But, seriously ... SW wouldn't even make it in a FZ band!
What I remember him asking the crowd (TTB concert) was who is the most complete artist meaning who does it all...Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Producer.....I knew who he meant but people kept screaming Zappa and Peter Gabriel and Fripp.....WRONG!!! It's Prince, which totally makes sense, he was a musical genius.....Does not matter if you agree or not, its true Big smile
LakeGlade12 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeGlade12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 05:11
I am enjoying this song and the last one much more than what was on TTB. The last album (which I wrote a review on this site and gave 2 stars) was mostly a pop-lite version of his more recent PT/solo stuff, with the odd good song that sounded more fresh. Here he is doing something new for him, which makes it much more interesting and inspired. Of course I would love him to release more Raven like albums, but we all know it would go stale after a while and he would just be another retro-prog artist. I would rarther he only go back to pure Prog when he has something new to say.

For the first time in several years I am actually looking forward to his new album. Even if Personal Shopper is the only long track on it, Its still a really fun track with great lyrics. Besides, he will change it up again in a few years time to don't expect this electro-Prince phase to last that long.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 07:12
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

I am enjoying this song and the last one much more than what was on TTB. The last album (which I wrote a review on this site and gave 2 stars) was mostly a pop-lite version of his more recent PT/solo stuff, with the odd good song that sounded more fresh. Here he is doing something new for him, which makes it much more interesting and inspired. Of course I would love him to release more Raven like albums, but we all know it would go stale after a while and he would just be another retro-prog artist. I would rarther he only go back to pure Prog when he has something new to say.

Hi,

I think that he is having issues putting together what he wants to say with the music ... he wants to do something, and then the lyrics he comes up with, say something that requires a change ... and that creates a bit of a dichotomy and confusion as to what the result is.

SW is competent enough that he knows that contrasting material is OK, and he has a good ear for mixing these things, however, there could be a point, or time, when either the music, or the lyrics take precedence and that can create an issue with the totality of the song, or musical piece.

I much prefer the "theatrical" style, which SW will not use, and will instead use his "lyrics" to try and invoke the emotion ... and for me, with theater and film experience, what he does is not very good, and if this was an exercise in your local theater, you would leave before half time, and say it was very poor! But being SW we give him more credit.

I don't dislike it ... these attempts are good learning ... but where is the real SW? ... I don't think he knows anymore, and how to interpret it with his music ... thus the inevitable "search" for something that works ... as a point of comparison, look at PH, and how he uses emotion to drive the music, and it's effortless many times ... and something that many people don't like because it may not exactly be "singing" in its most formal ability and style. It's pure theater! And SW has a problem with it ... in my book!

Doesn't make his music bad, but it does bring it up as a confusing piece of music, just like the previous one ... great moments, and then ... 
www.pedrosena.com
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 07:26
^ So you think he hides behind a wall of nothing? Nothing said and nothing new?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 07:42
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Hi,

No. I don't think he hides ... but he is very selective with what he says, which is like saying that he has a lot to hide that he does not want to mention or discuss ... 

Saying something is important ... trying to circumvent your feelings to say it in a different style or way, that is not you, creates a dichotomy for an audience ... and you would be aware of this if you were involved in theater and film, and how the reactions of those around you and in the audience show themselves. "They" didn't get it, because it was kinda hinted, or hidden.

I don't think he is hiding behind a wall of nothing ... I merely think that his thinking is confusing his lyrics and music to a point where he is going to start doing nothing but re-hashes of old stuff that he likes, since he does not have a "feeling" for the LIVELINESS and REALITY of what he wants to say.

THAT, my friend, is not a good actor, or stage person at all ... they will need a lot of costumes and makeup to convince the kiddies in the audience! But the adults? ... you gotta be kidding me ... he's not saying anything that you don't already know or feel! He becomes just another voice saying the same thing!

See the difference?
www.pedrosena.com
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 10:15
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Hi,

No. I don't think he hides ... but he is very selective with what he says, which is like saying that he has a lot to hide that he does not want to mention or discuss ... 

Saying something is important ... trying to circumvent your feelings to say it in a different style or way, that is not you, creates a dichotomy for an audience ... and you would be aware of this if you were involved in theater and film, and how the reactions of those around you and in the audience show themselves. "They" didn't get it, because it was kinda hinted, or hidden.

I don't think he is hiding behind a wall of nothing ... I merely think that his thinking is confusing his lyrics and music to a point where he is going to start doing nothing but re-hashes of old stuff that he likes, since he does not have a "feeling" for the LIVELINESS and REALITY of what he wants to say.

THAT, my friend, is not a good actor, or stage person at all ... they will need a lot of costumes and makeup to convince the kiddies in the audience! But the adults? ... you gotta be kidding me ... he's not saying anything that you don't already know or feel! He becomes just another voice saying the same thing!

See the difference?
No offence, but you have said he "is going to start doing nothing but re-hashes of old stuff that he likes, since he does not have a "feeling" for the LIVELINESS and REALITY of what he wants to say", which totally untrue, and implies that he is just an attention seeker who promotes himself by copying other people's stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me you just don't like Steven Wilson. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 17:58
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

No offence, but you have said he "is going to start doing nothing but re-hashes of old stuff that he likes, since he does not have a "feeling" for the LIVELINESS and REALITY of what he wants to say", which totally untrue, and implies that he is just an attention seeker who promotes himself by copying other people's stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me you just don't like Steven Wilson. 

Hi,

None taken. Compared to so many musicians and bands over 50 years, that we call "progressive", what SW does is quite alright and OK with me, though I do not consider it "progressive" and neither do I consider it "original".

I do not dislike SW and have a very large collection which includes PT and SW ... however, from a theater/film perspective, what he is doing is going to divide his audience even more ... I can't remember many of us feeling so separated with his output in the 90's with PT, for example. What he said then, made more sense ... and (maybe) he is trying really hard to sound and be "relevant" ... which is quite alright, but I think he is diluting his ability towards his "favorites" and losing a touch/side of himself in the process.

An artist, in general, is an ORIGINATOR, and CREATOR of something totally new and different ... and from someone like SW, I really expect that more than anything else ... but I think he is "trapped" within the "pop" mentality in music right now ... and I would like to see him get out of that ... but that, yeah, is my choice and preference, and not a comment about me disliking him.

Sometimes I think that he came up in the VERY COMMERCIAL time of the music side of things, and I'm not sure that he will be able to get out of it easily enough and likely lose some of his fans ... I would like to see him spread out and experiment more ... with unknown and totally different things, not creating mixes that bring up PF and Prince and whoever else he likes ... I even think he's just teasing us and that the actual album will be totally different!
www.pedrosena.com
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 20:45
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

New single released today - Eminent Sleaze

In the same "futuristic" vein, I much prefer this song (and video) by Arcade Fire :

twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 08:20
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Again, the hate and negativism of anything remotely pop on this site is so tunnel vision. Steven Wilson is hugely influenced by Prince and his musical genius, so makes sense why this song sounds like it does.

there were two negative comments. Confused

The other SW single had similar postings.......Wait till the whole album gets released.

I agree with you, but specifally in Grumpy Prog Fan's case I don't think he dislikes the song over its pop influences, since on another thread he said Duke was his third favourite album, one that as always been associated with pop.

Duke has a third of it that is poppy but 2/3 of of it is prog. I want to like Wilson as at least he's trying to rip off other artists other than PF, Yes, Genesis and KC lol. But somehow its not music I would listen to all the time.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 16:21
Relistening to this, I don't think its that bad. I really like the guitar and instrumental textures in the latter half of the song, but the hook isn't my favorite. Overall, decent cut, i'm gonna give the album a fair shot. I anticipate lots of angry "hated it before they even listened" reviews and flat out review bombs incoming on this website.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 05:20
Another single out today: King Ghost

This is probably the best one so far from TFB for me.
First two:

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 09:52
Hi.

"...  I would like to see him spread out and experiment more ... with unknown and totally different things, not creating mixes that bring up..."

Haha ... I said it about a month ago! This 3rd song is much more of this thought than the other 2. I'm not surprised, but I think that the rest of the album might be more of the same ... it's like the first 2 pieces took out the itches, and now comes the real person, and this last song might be the one that signals that.
www.pedrosena.com
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2020 at 16:07
If this has already posted. Sorry.

Doesn't suck
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 07:46

New Single, I think this ones really good. I'm not a SW fanboy, but i've liked all these tracks quite a bit and I think this is the best one yet. King Ghost has been my least favorite of them, but it's still good. I think i'll certainly like this more than To The Bone.

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 24 2020 at 07:46
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123