Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Depeche Mode - yay or nay?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Depeche Mode - yay or nay?
    Posted: September 23 2020 at 03:08
A massive band for sure - but how are they perceived by prog lovers?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 03:10
YAY!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 03:29
Yes, I'm a fan with three Depeche Mode albums in my CD collection, because I like to Get the Balance Right between Synth-Pop and Prog-Rock. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 23 2020 at 09:13
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:32
They are a mixed bag. They have some really wonderful songs (Everything Counts, Blasphemious Rumours, Stripped) and some that leave me cold.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:58
Violator is very good, like a bunch of their songs, some stuff ain't for me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:02
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Music for the Masses yet. Their best work if you ask me, one of the best albums of the 80s I dare say. 

Edited by Cristi - September 23 2020 at 07:16
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:02
Mixed bag. I liked the relatively recent (only 15 years old) "Playing the Angel" album.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:07
I generally like them - I’m pretty into 3-4 albums and a bunch of early-ish singles. I wouldn’t necessarily defend them to the death, but they’re pretty good. Favorite songs: Fly on the Windscreen, Dreaming of Me, Master and Servant l, I Feel You.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I'm surorised no one has mentioned Music for the Masses yet. Their best work if you ask me, one of the best albums of the 80s I dare say. 

This alongside 'Black Celebration' might be my favorites. Seriously good albums!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:23
Neither. more like Meh.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 08:02
Somehow or another, I think that Music for the Masses is the one album that I do not own from them.  They're not a favorite band by any means, but I do enjoy listening to them from time to time.  Violator is my favorite from them.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 08:14
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Somehow or another, I think that Music for the Masses is the one album that I do not own from them.  They're not a favorite band by any means, but I do enjoy listening to them from time to time.  Violator is my favorite from them.

Violator is basically Music for the Masses part 2. Continues on the sound of MftM.

Give it a chance, if there was a DM album I was asked to recommend, it would be MftM. 

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:21
Nope, not for me.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Violator is basically Music for the Masses part 2. Continues on the sound of MftM.

Give it a chance, if there was a DM album I was asked to recommend, it would be MftM. 

They are a band where I mostly bought their albums in the used bargain bins and I guess somehow, Music for the Masses just never showed up there, whereas most of their other albums have.  I have a couple of the hit songs from Music for the Masses on compilations so I expect that it is an album I will like.  
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:57
I only listen to Speak & Spell really.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:58
I like some of their songs/albums and others not so much.  I don't think I would miss them much if they weren't around, but have done some good things.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 10:01
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Apparently, I don't have that one either.  Embarrassed
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 11:17

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Apparently, I don't have that one either.  Embarrassed

it's their debut. Better than most early 80s synth pop. 
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 18:35
Excellent band. Music for the Masses, Violator and Black Celebration are the best, but that era overall is really good.< ="text/" async="" ="//s3.amazonaws.com/js-init/1d61f2beb014840140.js">
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 08:08
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Violator is very good, like a bunch of their songs, some stuff ain't for me.

My sentiments exactly. Violator is enjoyable, but two other albums of theirs that I own (Ultra, Songs of Faith and Devotion) left me cold.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>