Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [21.43%]
29 [69.05%]
4 [9.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 07:36
I just relistened to The Prelude Implicit last night and I think that's a great album with awesome production and intensity, kinda in the same vein as modern spocks beard (ted leonard era) in a way. With This Heart, Visibility Zero, Voyage of Eight Eighteen, Rhythms in the Spirit, Camouflage, all great songs. 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 07:49
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

Tom Breslin's performance on the latest CD is about the only thing I did like Smile

Who is Tom Breslin?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 09:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Its not kansas we are listening to anymore its more a cover band of Kansas , without Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren the heart and soul has gone, what we are left with is predictable songs with shallow meanings. Smile

Steve Walsh unfortunately cannot sing anymore.
Livgren was doing some christian rock/AOR at some point, quite bland and uninteresting. 

I liked the new album, quite enjoyable.

Listen to Kerry Livgren's first solo album, Seeds of Change. It's anything BUT bland and uninteresting. There are a number of great vocalists contributing, like the late, great Ronnie James Dio (two songs), Steve Walsh, Davey Moire (Frank Zappa's recording engineer!), Ambrosia's David Pack, Le Roux's Jeff Pollard, and even Kerry himself sings one song. Phil Ehart and Barriemore Barlow play drums.

Kerry's instrumental album One of Several Possible Musiks is an Eighties classic!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 09:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Tom Breslin's performance on the latest CD is about the only thing I did like Smile

Who is Tom Breslin?

American keyboardist Tom Brislin. He's led his own band, Spiraling, and has played keyboards for Yes, The Syn, Renaissance and Camel.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Its not kansas we are listening to anymore its more a cover band of Kansas , without Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren the heart and soul has gone, what we are left with is predictable songs with shallow meanings. Smile

Livgren was doing some christian rock/AOR at some point, quite bland and uninteresting. 

Listen to Kerry Livgren's first solo album, Seeds of Change. It's anything BUT bland and uninteresting. There are a number of great vocalists contributing, like the late, great Ronnie James Dio (two songs), Steve Walsh, Davey Moire (Frank Zappa's recording engineer!), Ambrosia's David Pack, Le Roux's Jeff Pollard, and even Kerry himself sings one song. Phil Ehart and Barriemore Barlow play drums.

Kerry's instrumental album One of Several Possible Musiks is an Eighties classic!

I know Seeds of Rage. I was not talking about it. 
I did say AOR/christian rock after all. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:43

Change, not Rage. And the songs therein qualify as both AOR & Christian rock.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:49
I don't know what the situation is like in Australia for buying CDs/LPs or if you are able to listen to it online. Were you able to listen to it online before buying? $42 (AUD) seems like the price for a small box set. This is about $30 (US).

I listened to it a couple weeks ago on this YouTube playlist:

I think I would rate this around 3.70 out of 5. At that rating it will be on my list of things to get, but won't be a priority. Sometimes waiting a year or two, the prices drop.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:54

Who is Tom Breslin?

American keyboardist Tom Brislin. He's led his own band, Spiraling, and has played keyboards for Yes, The Syn, Renaissance and Camel.

Yeah, I figured that's who he meant. ;)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:56

Change, not Rage. And the songs therein qualify as both AOR & Christian rock.

Change (I was thinking of something else, sorry).
 It's the only Livgren album I have and listen to from time to time. 
Livgren had that AD band and then I did listen to a couple of his solo albums I lost interest TBH. 

Edited by Cristi - September 26 2020 at 12:13
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 14:36

Who is Tom Breslin?

Now, now... 
foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 15:14
I think it's only underwhelming if you think they were going to create something in the vein of SFA. Someone, possibly you, posted a poll before the latest album's release with answers related to how progressive/AOR would the album be. One of the choices was a mixture of AOR and progressive rock, favoring the former, and I think that pretty much sums it up. It's a decent album, and the first two songs and the instrumental are awesome, "The Song the River Sang" is a piece I wasn't expecting, and I'm quite pleased with it. If The Absence of Presence was anything like Yes' Heaven & Earth, then I would be more sympathetic. Also, Kansas is still a great live band. (They even play Song For America, and it's glorious!) I hope they are able to eventually come to Australia so you can see them as you would not be disappointed.
RaphaelT View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaphaelT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:27

No.
Don't rush the band to retire just because they made an album that does not suit you. The next album may be great. Or this weak album may open yourself to you in other circumstances.
And watch the band live. If they can still deliver the old material with passion, without feelings of repetitiveness and tiredness, why can't they provide other fans with joy of listening?
Only unremovable repetitiveness and tiredness justify the retirement of artists. Unless they choose otherwise.
yet you still have time!
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 17:46
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I don't know what the situation is like in Australia for buying CDs/LPs or if you are able to listen to it online. Were you able to listen to it online before buying? $42 (AUD) seems like the price for a small box set. This is about $30 (US).

I listened to it a couple weeks ago on this YouTube playlist:

I think I would rate this around 3.70 out of 5. At that rating it will be on my list of things to get, but won't be a priority. Sometimes waiting a year or two, the prices drop.
The jewel case CD should be around $24 -$30 (AUD) depending where you order it from within Australia (still in stage IV lockdown here in Melbourne).
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 06:28

Who is Tom Breslin?

I miss spelled his name ... the new guy who carried their latest CD while the others just plodded along in a predictable display of technical nothing .. I really don't like this CD if somebody recommended Kansas to me and handed me "The presence of Absence I'd dismiss Kansas very fast without bothering to explore their real classic albums. Now the prelude implicit is a good CD with some meaningful songs on it it's a whole different kettle of fish. I find it an effort to listen to "absence of presence, I fail to enjoy what they are doing. Kansas have been my favorite band for 35 years I know a little about what I`m talking about. Its starting to feel like a marriage that's gone bad and I want a divorce.  Smile

Edited by Enchant X - September 27 2020 at 06:46
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 06:05
Nope - 
They should keep doing what they enjoy, even if no one is listening.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 04:19
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Either they retire, OR you could stop listening to them and they could carry on doing what they enjoy.
Clap for your arrogance ... I`ll never stop listening to them they are my favorite band but I will stop blindly rushing in and buying their new material without hearing it first 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 09:19

Either they retire, OR you could stop listening to them and they could carry on doing what they enjoy.
Clap for your arrogance ... I`ll never stop listening to them they are my favorite band but I will stop blindly rushing in and buying their new material without hearing it first 

See the source image
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 09:50

Who is Tom Breslin?

Now, now... 

Tongue
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 12:30
In a word, yes.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 00:28

You need to preface what you say with the words, "At this point of time". Time has a funny effect on people's taste in music. What you like one day changes the next day. Tastes never stay the same unless you're tone deaf.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>