Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [21.43%]
29 [69.05%]
4 [9.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Kansas to retire ?
    Posted: September 25 2020 at 03:50
After the last underwhelming CD the absence of presence I`m considering my favorite band might be ready to retire, I'd like to know your thoughts Smile   
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 03:58
Either they retire, OR you could stop listening to them and they could carry on doing what they enjoy.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 04:04
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Either they retire, OR you could stop listening to them and they could carry on doing what they enjoy.

I agree, I'm no Kansas expert but I have listened to their latest CD and I thought it was quite enjoyable. How it compares to their earlier output I couldn't really say but it's not for us to say they should retire.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 04:07
Its not kansas we are listening to anymore its more a cover band of Kansas , without Steve Walsh and Kerry Livgren the heart and soul has gone, what we are left with is predictable songs with shallow meanings. Smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 04:57
^The same argument raised about bands like Genesis, Yes, ELPowell etc.
For every fan that says 'WTF?' about a latest release there are fans who are saying 'Alright!'
No band/musician should ever worry about retiring from music because some fans/critics say they've lost a step.
Other fans who appreciate the music will no doubt step in. The open market gives the feedback they are free to acknowledge or not.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 04:58
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^The same argument raised about bands like Genesis, Yes, ELPowell etc.
For every fan that says 'WTF?' about a latest release there are fans who are saying 'Alright!'
No band/musician should ever worry about retiring from music because some fans/critics say they've lost a step.
Other fans who appreciate the music will no doubt step in. The open market gives the feedback they are free to acknowledge or not.
Clap
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 05:49
Their last album is quite good, and they seem inspired to keep going, so Why not? No reason to retire if you want to keep writing enjoyable music.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 05:52
As long as the musicians are having fun, still passionate, and there is a market for their product, no need to retire. As for the quality of the music...it will never reach the heights of them in their prime. No band can do that. As a consumer you can decide if you want to support then anymore.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 06:15
I payed $42 (aus) for the latest CD (imported from Germany) so I had invested interest , it wasn't a good investment .. Animals on the roof is the worst song Kansas have ever written .. cringe worthy the second half of the CD is pathetic and that sudden cut off ending was a terrible idea. Smile  

Edited by Enchant X - September 25 2020 at 06:22
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 07:30
Hi,

No true artist will EVER retire from what they do best!

It doesn't matter that it is a band! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 07:36
Hell no, go see them live or watch an interview with the current lineup. It’s clear there is a great comradery and sense of inspiration in this current lineup and they are all just as capable and competent as they’ve ever been instrumentally. Steve Walsh leaving the band was essential for the band to progress and create new music, as his voice was just gone. I really enjoy the last two Kansas albums, don’t listen comparing them to the first 5 albums because these last two albums are not meant to be a noastalgia act, they’re different and they explore different sounds (as any progressive band should).

They also have the nod from Mr. Livgren, who often joins them on stage when they’re in the same area.

PS: I think Animals on the Roof, along with Throwing Mountains and The Song the River Sang are the best songs on the album

Edited by dougmcauliffe - September 25 2020 at 07:42
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 08:41
As long as they like what they are doing & people still enjoy their music (Live or Recordings) 
they should carry on. A lot of the band we grew up with are older now & may not be a prolific
as they use to be but they are still out there making music. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 08:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I guess nobody told Fish that!Wink

As I said, I'm not a Kansas expert but I've played the album again and it seems perfectly acceptable. It's all down to personal taste but you can't ask a band to retire just because you shelled out dollars for something you don't like (otherwise Yes would have packed up after H&E).
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:05
I'm not familiar with the last two Kansas albums. However, rym has the last one at 3.43 and prelude implicit at 3.41. On this website the absence of presence has a 3.74 and prelude has a 3.82 rating(less than a ten point difference). Also, both albums have four out of five stars on allmusic. Interestingly, "somewhere to elsewhere is the only post seventies album(not counting "box set")to have 4 1/2 stars(none have five). 

I just listened to "animals on the roof" on youtube and I have to say it's a rather decent track. Nothing offensive at all imo then again I don't always pay much attention to lyrics. So no it didn't sound that bad to me. I'm not sure what the worst Kansas song I have heard is but "stay out of trouble" and "lonely road" must rank up there and also probably something from audio visions.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 25 2020 at 09:10
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:14
Stay out of trouble truly does suck ^ but i've always liked lonely wind, especially the version off two for the show with the guitar and piano solo.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:32
Ah, too retire or not to retire that is the age old question.

If the members are willing then why shouldn't they continue? However, I also think that bands do sometimes out stay their welcome. There is something to be said about going out on top or going out before declining or having most of your members replaced by time and/or death. I feel like bands that either don't have any original members left or only one or two are that band in name only. That's not to say they can't still make enjoyable music but if there's only two original members left are they really still Kansas? Foreigner only has Mick Jones left. Is it still Foreigner? Shouldn't it be more than just a name on a masthead? Does that even matter? Damned if I know. 

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:37

Hell no, their latest album is great! Better than the previous one, in my opinion. Tom Brislin is a really great asset to the band. I'm surprised to see so few reviews of the new album here on PA.

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:41
Personally, I am glad to see them continuing. The original line-up was gone long ago and there have been numerous exits, re-entrances, and shake ups throughout the years. Kerry Livgren, Robbie Steinhardt, and Dave Hope left in the early 80s. The former two came back briefly. This means that current bassist Billy Greer has been in the band much longer than Hope. Steve Walsh also quit the band for a brief period. David Ragsdale is also a long-time member. Rich Williams is now back in the band. And let's not forget that Phil Erhart was actually the one who originally put it all together. So, who has the right to be considered the band? I have long had an idea that a band's legacy and presence should be strong enough to pass through multiple members over the years, even to the point of new generations joining. As long as the vision of the music is intact, it is the band. Everything I have heard from this new line up sounds like Kansas to me, revitalized and re-energized. So, no, there is no reason for this band to retire, it still has much to offer.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 10:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I guess nobody told Fish that!Wink
Or Bill Bruford
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 10:52
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Stay out of trouble truly does suck ^ but i've always liked lonely wind, especially the version off two for the show with the guitar and piano solo.

I'm sorry, I meant to say "lonely street" which is from SfA. It's ok, I guess, but I've just never been much into their "boogie rock" songs. "Down the road" is maybe a little better and at least has some good violin work. I haven't heard the first one in a while so I'll have to pay attention to "lonely wind" next time I do.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 25 2020 at 10:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>