Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Pentangle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greenmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pentangle
    Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:11
I had honestly never heard of this band until sometime last week.    I was looking through my mothers old LP vinyl collection, and there was an album by The Pentangle called Pentangling.     I know its a compilation album by them now.    But while i was giving it a listen, i thought to myself "they sound folky".    After listening to them, i dedcided out of curiosity, to look them up on the progressive archives site to see if they were listed, and yes they are.........under "progressive folk", the same catagory Jethro Tull are in.

The song Light Flight is quite catchy actually.

I know that folk is an aquired taste, but as i like some folk metal bands like Cruachan, Enisferum and Bathory, i dont mind some folk.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 11:24
They are fantastic, as are the solo albums of John Renbourn (also with Jacqui McShee as The John Renbourn Group) and Bert Jansch.  Perennial favourites in my collection.  Can't go too far wrong with a Pentangle or related LP.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 12:02
Because I just posted this in another thread and it's handy, here is the John Renbourn Group, Jacqui McShee on vocals, with "Reynardine." 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 13:05
Basket of Light (1969) is my favorite, but Sweet Child (1968) and Cruel Sister (1970) are also superb. A remarkably creative three-year era for the band.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2020 at 14:34
I've listened to all eleven of Pentangle's albums and I'd recommend any of them. Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 05:51
Welcome to the world of folk/rock/jazz bliss by virtuoso musicians. As an avid fan, I would suggest you start with their eponymous debut and go from there. Enjoy. As a rule, Renbourn's guitar is usually recorded in the left speaker with Jansch on the right. But they do occasionally switch as on Train Song from Basket of Light.

Edited by SteveG - September 30 2020 at 05:53
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 06:54
their first six albums are all essential really, though I think the one I prefer is Reflections, because it's the most even in quality

You can find them all in min-lp format with bonus tracks (or varying interest) in the great boxet 

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/the-pentangle/the-albums-1968-1972/

Edited by Sean Trane - September 30 2020 at 06:55
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:37
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Welcome to the world of folk/rock/jazz bliss by virtuoso musicians. As an avid fan, I would suggest you start with their eponymous debut and go from there. Enjoy. As a rule, Renbourn's guitar is usually recorded in the left speaker with Jansch on the right. But they do occasionally switch as on Train Song from Basket of Light.
There is a certain magic to that first album that sets it slightly apart from what followed, to my mind. I think it's a masterpiece. 

That's taking nothing away from their other albums - they maintained a really consistent standard of excellence that's fairly rare.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 17:22
Hi,

PENTANGLE was actually one of the first things I went after when I saw an used copy of the album in Santa Barbara, and thought that it might be nice if the cover was an indication.

At the time, a lot of the purchases we made (me, not the only one!) was done by cover and some of the material listed,

As much as I like them, and the fact that John Renbourn and Bert Jansch were there, they were not the only "folk" group that was doing some progressive things in England at all ... at about the same time, Robin Williamson, Mike Heron and Clive Palmer created The Incredible String Band, and their focus was the poetry and its possible staging, which a few years later got them to do a full piece on stage ("U"). Robin has stated that they were more interested in poetry and how it could fit in music, and their combination, along with what appears to have been a "commune", included a couple of ladies, that added an incredible touch to the music itself, although none of the ladies involved ever really got credit for their work, but when ... a few years later ... you hear their work in EARTH SPAN, you can see how incredibly well defined they became and how well they colored their music. The main/interesting connection here is ... JOE BOYD who ... yeah ... later but had his finger in the pot!

It's a VERY STRONG tradition in England, btw, and even Fairport Convention fits the mold by adding electric guitar to the mold even more. 

Very progressive time and place for music!

Robin Williamson also did an album with John Renbourn later (Wheel of Fortune) that apparently was nominated for a Grammy in America. 

Edited by moshkito - October 01 2020 at 07:02
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 18:08
I have two albums(cds)by this band. Maybe I'll play them soon then post back here with my impressions. One I have played before but don't remember which one(I think cruel sister) and remember liking it. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 18:13
I love Cruel Sister and Solomon's Seal the most, but all of the discography (and the offshoots) are well worth the listen.  I also enjoy ISB, especially their 5,000 Spirits LP.

Edited by Snicolette - September 30 2020 at 18:14
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 18:48
Jaw-dropping vertuosity and an incredibly sweet melodic meld of UK folk, especially Davy Graham's sound and approach, and US blues and jazz, dig what Danny T. did with Mingus' Hatian Flight Song - brilliant stuff.  

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 01:19
Great stuff. Cruel Sister is my favourite.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 03:09
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

PENTANGLE was actually one of the first things I heard when I came to America in October 1965. It still sounds great, as did Blonde on Blonde at that time.
I think you may have a timeline crossed here. The first album didn't come out until May 1968.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 06:54
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Hi,

PENTANGLE was actually one of the first things I heard when I came to America in October 1965. It still sounds great, as did Blonde on Blonde at that time.
I think you may have a timeline crossed here. The first album didn't come out until May 1968.

Hi,

Yep, I did ... according to that other website, it was 1967 ... not earlier or 1968. It is possible, however that the album was later in America, though, since at that time it would have been an "import" before any record company would decide to release it in America.

I'll have to update the post .. thx
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 07:31

Hi,

PENTANGLE was actually one of the first things I went after when I saw an used copy of the album in Santa Barbara, and thought that it might be nice if the cover was an indication.

At the time, a lot of the purchases we made (me, not the only one!) was done by cover and some of the material listed,

As much as I like them, and the fact that John Renbourn and Bert Jansch were there, they were not the only "folk" group that was doing some progressive things in England at all ... at about the same time, Robin Williamson, Mike Heron and Clive Palmer created The Incredible String Band, and their focus was the poetry and its possible staging, which a few years later got them to do a full piece on stage ("U"). Robin has stated that they were more interested in poetry and how it could fit in music, and their combination, along with what appears to have been a "commune", included a couple of ladies, that added an incredible touch to the music itself, although none of the ladies involved ever really got credit for their work, but when ... a few years later ... you hear their work in EARTH SPAN, you can see how incredibly well defined they became and how well they colored their music. The main/interesting connection here is ... JOE BOYD who ... yeah ... later but had his finger in the pot!

It's a VERY STRONG tradition in England, btw, and even Fairport Convention fits the mold by adding electric guitar to the mold even more. 

Very progressive time and place for music!

Robin Williamson also did an album with John Renbourn later (Wheel of Fortune) that apparently was nominated for a Grammy in America. 

I love the first two ISB albums but I don't think that they touch the other worldliness of the Pentangle. The Wheel of Fortune album by Renbourn and Williamson is good but doesn't come close to the early solo albums by Renbourn like The Lady And The Unicorn or Sir John A lot. There is so much good music by these artists, in band form or solo, it isn't funny. But as a rule, the earlier the release, the better.

Edited by SteveG - October 05 2020 at 09:57
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 07:41

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

Yep, I did ... according to that other website, it was 1967 ... not earlier or 1968. It is possible, however that the album was later in America, though, since at that time it would have been an "import" before any record company would decide to release it in America.

I'll have to update the post .. thx
Pentangle's debut album was recorded February-March 1968, and released May 17, 1968. So the acid you were taking in 1967 must have been particularly strong.

Love their first 4 albums, but I would say Basket of Light is their strongest and most creative, followed by Cruel Sister.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 08:14
Hmmm..math rock.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 18:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Pentangle's debut album was recorded February-March 1968, and released May 17, 1968. So the acid you were taking in 1967 must have been particularly strong.

Hi,

Incorrect ... I never really did anything until '72 ... too close to "home" to do those things.

But the music was all over ... and much of it I had heard in Madison, WI. In a party, in one night alone, it was FC and Pentangle AND ... would you believe it ... Jethro Tull! The only weird thing was ... that the radio stations in Madison did not touch that stuff ... which tells you the power of 50K students in one place ... if it was music, Madison had it!
www.pedrosena.com
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 09:35
Superb band
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>