Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Blues-Rock in the Seventies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 11:52
Trower not being on this site is another prog mystery. Considering the inclusion of some.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 11:55
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

Trower not being on this site is another prog mystery. Considering the inclusion of some.

Easy solution, someone suggests him first. LOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 12:24
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm shocked, shocked that Boboulo does not argue that progressive blues is actually psychedelic blues! Shocked!
I bet he'll come along and say that blues isn't really a genre and a style of jazz, and prog blues is in fact early Zeuhl, or something equally ridiculous. 

Not in the near future, he's been booted (again) give it a couple of weeks and he'll show up with another pseudonym. 
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 14:24
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Are you saying that he has never been suggested for inclusion on this site?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 14:29
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Are you saying that he has never been suggested for inclusion on this site?

To be honest i don't know if he's been suggested before, or if he's rejected. 
But someone do it right then, choose a category that fits him, an explanation why he fits there and should be considered for inclusion. 

Even prog-related, but I think an admin/mod. can help with that. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 14:35
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm shocked, shocked that Boboulo does not argue that progressive blues is actually psychedelic blues! Shocked!
I bet he'll come along and say that blues isn't really a genre and a style of jazz, and prog blues is in fact early Zeuhl, or something equally ridiculous. 

Not in the near future, he's been booted (again) give it a couple of weeks and he'll show up with another pseudonym. 

In memory of our dear departed Svetonio, I dedicate this blues-prog Cuban jazz composition to his tedious posts...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 22:23
Wild Turkey anyone? Glenn Cornick's band after he was heave hoed from Tull. Gary Pickford-Hopkins (lead vocals on Wakeman's Journey To The Centre of The Earth) also as lead vocalist.

Two studio albums, with their debut "Battle Hymn" a complete masterpiece. Opening track "Butterfly" in response to Jimi Hendrix's death is below. Surprised no-one has put them up for PA.

Edited by BarryGlibb - September 28 2020 at 22:29
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 22:57
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Greaaaat......means he'll now hang out at Hoffman even more.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 00:15
Blodwyn Pig.  This track features Peter Banks. 

Edited by cstack3 - September 29 2020 at 00:18
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 00:27
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

Wild Turkey anyone? Glenn Cornick's band after he was heave hoed from Tull. Gary Pickford-Hopkins (lead vocals on Wakeman's Journey To The Centre of The Earth) also as lead vocalist.

Two studio albums, with their debut "Battle Hymn" a complete masterpiece. Opening track "Butterfly" in response to Jimi Hendrix's death is below. Surprised no-one has put them up for PA.

Bloody Hell, I was JUST going to add them to this thread & found your post!!  Remarkable contribution! 

I saw WT open the show for Jethro Tull's "TAAB" show in Chicago, Nov 10, 1972 and they were brilliant!!  One of the best concerts I'd ever seen.  Totally agree with you on "Battle Hymn," and the followup LP "Turkey" has some lovely songs and guitar work by Tweke Lewis!  

As long as we are discussing Glenn Cornick, we should also mention his project "Paris!" 

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 11:12

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 14:25
Peter Gabriel - After The Flood

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 15:50
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Peter Gabriel - After The Flood

Never heard that one before. What album is it on? Do you mean "Here Comes The Flood", which is not a blues tune at all?

Perhaps you mean this blues tune from the same album....

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 16:16
Oh man, Svety doesn't know what he's missing.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 13:34
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Blodwyn Pig.  This track features Peter Banks. 

Good one!!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 22:17
I can't believe nobody mentioned Deep Purple's early LPs!  This is DA BLUES!

Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 04:19
This thread should probably start with the late 60s.  For Progressive Blues Rock, Ten Years After should be considered as well a Yardbirds, Cream, John Mayall, Savoy Brown.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 06:32
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Ten Years After

There was a topic about prog tracks from non-prog groups, and I provided the following awesome track as an example:

Ten Years After - Standing At The Station

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 07:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

Ten Years After

There was a topic about prog tracks from non-prog groups, and I provided the following awesome track as an example:

Ten Years After - Standing At The Station

Great choice. I would add this 16 minute epic that goes beyond blues to touch on jazz and classical motifs as well as a nod to Cream among other things....

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 07:58
I like to think that Ten Years After and Savoy Brown did progressive Blues rock un the eazrtly 70's... 

Savoy Brown's string off albums from Getting To The Point until Hellbound Train had their moments of near-prog...
 Ditto with TYA from Stonedhenge unrtil RnR Music to The World

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac's album Then Play On has issues as well. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>