Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What do you think of Magma?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [33.33%]
13 [20.63%]
10 [15.87%]
2 [3.17%]
9 [14.29%]
1 [1.59%]
5 [7.94%]
2 [3.17%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma
    Posted: September 27 2020 at 10:36
I've thought about this one for a while and now here it is.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 27 2020 at 13:59
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 10:42
They are good, I listen to them sometimes. This RIO and Zeuhl comes in many shapes and sizes, I've found.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 10:48
Very good band.  MDK is incredible.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 10:51
I voted for "They are very good/I like them a lot". I actually think their music is quite extraordinary. I love a lot of it but some of it not so much. Overall, I can't quite give them the top vote.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 11:59
Well, I was wearing a Magma shirt yesterday, so that may say something.

For a long time I was intrigued by them--or let's say, the idea of them--but I had a terribly hard time actually finding their music in stores. They had an aura and legend about them that made them quite enticing for someone fond of weird music.

When I finally picked up something on vinyl (it ended up being a strange, cheap compilation), I won't say I was disappointed but it didn't match the mystique I'd hoped for.

A good amount of time went by and I eventually picked up Emehntehtt Re (or as some wag here put it, "I Mean it, Ray!") and then the appeal of the whole enterprise finally clicked. 

A few years later I got to see them live (twice actually) and that did it. Hands down one of the best bands I've ever seen live. The recent incarnations of the band really bring the vision of the band to life in a remarkable way. 

A summary evaluation: 
On the plus side: a truly unique vision, a singularly crafted world, outstanding musicianship
On the negative: a great deal of repetition. If you're a fan, it's really worth picking up the majority of the catalog, but if you're not, an album or two really will do you 

The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:15
Great
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:30
Don't do it for me.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:38
third option works for me, I think they are very competent musicians and songwriters, unique. 
And I sometimes listen to them, in the right mood, that is. EmbarrassedTongue
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 12:43
I went with the 4th option.  I would probably like them much better without the made up language.  I know that is what makes them unique but honestly it kind of ruins it for me.  Although, what little I know about them, I kind of suspect I might like them less if they were singing in a language that I did understand.  LOL
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:23
I cannot understand their appeal at all, but I'm pleased for those who do.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:29
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I've thought about this one for a while and now here it is.

Looking at the options, I can tell! LOL
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:45
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I went with the 4th option.  I would probably like them much better without the made up language.  I know that is what makes them unique but honestly it kind of ruins it for me.  Although, what little I know about them, I kind of suspect I might like them less if they were singing in a language that I did understand.  LOL

One thing about singing in a made up language is that it makes them foreign to everyone. However, it does seem to me that particular words are actual words that I understand.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 16:27
Great band. Vander an awesome drummer
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 17:57
Second category, not quite in my top 20 favourite bands, but unique and great nevertheless.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 18:11
It's one of my favourite bands and one of the bands that I have the most albums by. For me the debut is one of the greatest debuts that I can think of (my favourite album by Magma). As for the MDK studio album, I'm more into live versions. "Theusz Hamtaahk" is one of my very favourite Magma compositions. And unlike quite a few, I adore Attahk.

I was disappointed with the Magma live performance that I saw a few years ago, Not a great sound system, too "vanilla" Prog in a way, way too loud, and too metalish for me. I was hoping for a more jazz, more acoustic and less rock Magma. Also, at the beginning was a speech about Magma (and its spiritual qualities) that I found cringe-inducing. I was like, wow, you take this far too seriously. I felt like the whole thing lacked subtlety and nuance. Texture was lacking. Those little moments that can make something good great felt lacking. I stopped listening to the band for about a year after that, and I have never since held the band in quite as high regard.

Edited by Logan - September 27 2020 at 18:21
Just a fanboy passin' through.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 18:21
I saw them three times live. They were best the third time. Great band live.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 18:34
I'm sure it can depend on the performance, the venue, and one's mood at the time. It definitely didn't help that I took my wife to it and I was worrying about her reaction during the concert. I was feeling kind of embarrassed. She appreciated the experience more than I did. We both laughed during the opening speech (sorry, speech giver), which was embarrassing as it was a small venue. I saw Air Supply with her around the same time, which is one of her favourites, and I could enjoy that even though it's not my usual fare.

I have actually been to see far more classical concerts than rock, and so I kind of come in with certain expectations such as the audience should remain quiet during the performance, and please dress elegantly for the occasion. ;)

Edited by Logan - September 27 2020 at 18:39
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 18:45
First time I saw them was at the Rock In Opposition festival in '12. The lead in band was Thinking Plague so that was a quite stunning 1-2 punch. I'd been told that if you don't see the face of God the first time you see them they're not for you. Needless to say it was as spiritual as any event for this incorrigible atheist. 

I've seen them a total of around 5 times with my favorite (after the 1st one) being in Boston when I took both daughters to see them in a small club with a low ceiling. Crushingly good.

The live trilogy set from the Triton is my favorite group of albums from them. Similar to Crimson they are a much better beast live.  
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 23:06
Option 1 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 23:47
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I cannot understand their appeal at all, but I'm pleased for those who do.

Same, sometimes its a mixed bag for me.

I really enjoy the instrumental parts, hate with passion the operistic voices 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>