Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is prog dying out, or coming back?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 13:02
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

It's very niche but it's also very diverse and an influence on a lot of modern bands. As long as you don't have a narrow classic symphonic definition you can find a ton of prog influenced bands playing metal, avant, jazz, funk, psyche, etc etc etc. 
There is definitely great diversity in the music, which is fantastic.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 13:23
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's very niche but it's also very diverse and an influence on a lot of modern bands. As long as you don't have a narrow classic symphonic definition you can find a ton of prog influenced bands playing metal, avant, jazz, funk, psyche, etc etc etc. 
There is definitely great diversity in the music, which is fantastic.

I totally agree. I think it's pretty much always been that way but I think that's especially true these days.  Just look at this website at all the subgenres. Several of them such as neo prog, all the prog metals and post rock(as well as maybe a few others)weren't even around in the seventies or if they were they were in their very embryonic stages(ie prog metal).
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 13:38
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

I think it has been more abundant in the past few years, but the most positive reviews come from earlier in the 10s. Perhaps there were more new bands/artists in the late 10s, but far more well known and older bands/artists - or am I talking rubbish? Is my entire modern prog project a waste of mine and other people's time? I'm asking for it...

Prog has been making a comeback ever since the birth of Neo-Prog in the early 1980's, and long may it continue. I mentioned some of my favourite Neo-Prog bands in another thread, so I won't annoy Cristi again by repeating them all here, but I forgot to mention the Scottish band, Pallas. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 13:48
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Prog has been making a comeback ever since the birth of Neo-Prog in the early 1980's, and long may it continue. I mentioned some of my favourite Neo-Prog bands in another thread, so I won't annoy Cristi again by repeating them all here, but I forgot to mention the Scottish band, Pallas. Smile

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 13:52

I think it has been more abundant in the past few years, but the most positive reviews come from earlier in the 10s. Perhaps there were more new bands/artists in the late 10s, but far more well known and older bands/artists - or am I talking rubbish? Is my entire modern prog project a waste of mine and other people's time? I'm asking for it...

Pallas is a top notch neo band.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 16:09
It evolves. Music, like life, finds a way. (Insert Jeff Goldblum)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 16:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 16:22
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Well of course it is. Where have you been? LOL

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 28 2020 at 16:23
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 17:55
I don't care much if the (perceived) so-called "Prog genre" goes the way of the dodo. There will always (well, not always I would say) be innovative musicians and composers making progressive music in a wide variety of styles. Long live progressive music.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 18:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

There is some great music still being recorded and released. Progressive music, artistically, is in a great place.

I have had my first listen today of David Minasian’s new album, kindly shared by him. Utterly brilliant.

Marillion go from strength to strength. Pendragon have released their best album ever. Piles of new artists we share with each other on a daily basis.

Good music never dies. It doesn’t matter what you call it. It never dies, and there will always be great musicians making great music.

In Lazland, the glass is always half full.....Wink

Hear, hear! I'd add Riverside - Wasteland is brilliant; This Winter Machine - The Man who Never Was is a superb album. Haken turn out good album after good album, as do Big Big Train.
The only slight downer was my (almost) favourite band IQ (except of course for Camel) releasing Resistance. Whilst not a bad album, it is my least favourite of all the albums they've done, but after the incredible Road of Bones, I can forgive them.
Prog lives. And that's 50 years on from the 70s, which shows its longevity.
Was anyone listening to 1920s music in the 1970s??
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
progtime1234567 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progtime1234567 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 19:27
I think bands like Haken are the ones who are keeping the genre alive, or at least keeping it popular.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 19:38
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

And that's 50 years on from the 70s, which shows its longevity.
Was anyone listening to 1920s music in the 1970s??
Actually, many of the greatest musicians from the 60s and 70s were listening to blues albums from the 20s and 30s. The Stones, Zeppelin, Jeff Beck, Clapton, Ian Anderson, The Allman Brothers, Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top, Bob Dylan, David Gilmour, Frank Zappa, John Mayall, The Yardbirds, Paul Butterfield, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Bonnie Raitt, Fleetwood Mac, etc.

Robert Johnson, Skip James, Son House, Lead Belly, Sonny Boy Williamson I and II, Memphis Minnie, Blind Willie Johnson, Bill Broonzy, Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey -- if you hear hear the Stones singing "Love in Vain" and "Stop Breakin' Down", or Zeppelin playing "When the Levee Breaks", "In My Time of Dying", "Nobody's Fault But Mine" or "Gallows Pole", or Cream playing "Crossroads", it's because of that much earlier era.

Then throw in the great jazz players and singers, country and bluegrass musicians from the era that influenced that generation. So, yeah. And as a teenager in the 70s, I was listening to them as well. You can't play the blues without listening to the source material.

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 28 2020 at 19:39
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 19:52

So it was down in 78 after UK's debut and made a comeback in 83 with Marillion? Down for a grand total of 5 years in 50 years? Damn nothing but wine and roses for prog bands.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 20:20

So it was down in 78 after UK's debut and made a comeback in 83 with Marillion? Down for a grand total of 5 years in 50 years? Damn nothing but wine and roses for prog bands.

The only problem with that is:

1979 Steve Hackett - spectral mornings, Univers Zero -heresie, Bruford - One of a  kind, Pink Floyd - The Wall
1980 Yes - Drama, Rush- Permanent Waves, Peter Gabriel - III, Eloy - Colours
1981 Rush - Moving Pictures , Camel - Nude, Dun - Eros, Eskaton - 4 Visions
1982  Peter Gabriel - security, Twelfth Night - Fact and Fiction, Rush - Signals, Kate Bush - The Dreaming

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 28 2020 at 20:22
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 20:44
I just don't think there will be anymore progressive music made that we might compare to the glory days of 70/80s. Newer bands can record music that sounds like it but its not progressive anymore, it will only have prog attributes or tendencies, I don't want to call it copy cat recording.

The music that we hear from all these newer artists to me is just that. Riverside, Haken, The Pineapple Thief and yes Steven Wilson....its not progressive rock music anymore, but merely has prog attributes.
The foresight (probably not, but would be cool if true) of M@x and other creators of this website to call it ProgArchives~Ultimate Prog Rock Resource, makes a lot of sense to me.....at least going forward now.

My issue is as others have noted the ease of recording now has made this genre and all its sub-genres almost impossible to listen to much of it without having that young persons ADD....after 15min I'm done and feel like I need to move on to the next. I don't get fully immersed into the music anymore, which is a necessity to understand some of our music.
If I look at my entire music collection....LPs, CDs, Digital misc stuff on cassettes and R2R....not sure I have enough time (years) to listen to it all.
Do I let my tried and true suffer or do I invest precious time in exploring new music?? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 21:17
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I just don't think there will be anymore progressive music made that we might compare to the glory days of 70/80s. Newer bands can record music that sounds like it but its not progressive anymore, it will only have prog attributes or tendencies, I don't want to call it copy cat recording.

The music that we hear from all these newer artists to me is just that. Riverside, Haken, The Pineapple Thief and yes Steven Wilson....its not progressive rock music anymore, but merely has prog attributes.
The foresight (probably not, but would be cool if true) of M@x and other creators of this website to call it ProgArchives~Ultimate Prog Rock Resource, makes a lot of sense to me.....at least going forward now.

My issue is as others have noted the ease of recording now has made this genre and all its sub-genres almost impossible to listen to much of it without having that young persons ADD....after 15min I'm done and feel like I need to move on to the next. I don't get fully immersed into the music anymore, which is a necessity to understand some of our music.
If I look at my entire music collection....LPs, CDs, Digital misc stuff on cassettes and R2R....not sure I have enough time (years) to listen to it all.
Do I let my tried and true suffer or do I invest precious time in exploring new music?? 

And there lies part of the problem and that is the name. Some people expect it to always be progressing. They don't expect it with classical, jazz or blues only prog rock and that's just because of the name. 

As for the amount of music there is such a thing as having too much imo. Some prog collectors have way too many albums and will never be able to listen to it all. Some stuff maybe you don't even want to hear more than a few times but you want in your collection anyway. For me I will put a limit on it at some point. Having 10,000 or more albums is just a bit too crazy so it will be less than that(maybe half of that)but I'm not there yet.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 28 2020 at 21:20
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 21:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Prog rock has become more abundant due to DIY home recordings, digital downloads and various "go fund me" sites. I'm not really sure if that made it more popular.

Hi,

Agreed to an extent. When you see the requests for bands to be included in PA, it's pretty obvious that the abundance is quite large and the listing of requests is even larger.

The biggest issue I have with this, is a sad one ... I'm not sure that we are giving these a proper listen, and that makes it seem like they are less popular, and a result of a lot of DIY recordings, and then, the ability of that band to get any kind of public appreciation/knowledge is dependent on sites like PA to give them some credibility.

Honestly, I think this is the "stage 1" of the new process, and one of these days, one or two of these will click big, and then, no one will worry, or say a whole lot about the DIY process ... honestly, with the exception of a handful of folks in the old "studio" setup, very little of it was better than the band itself, and the ability of the music to last, was not exactly the studio's ability, but any band's ability!

I think that this is a time to "learn" and "feel" your way ... and the results will begin making themselves visible sooner or later. I don't see the point of trashing a DIY process, as it is a logical upgrade from the previous design, and in time, it should have a lot more INVENTIVENESS that most studios EVER had ... why? Easy ... more folks doing it and trying different things!

Prog will be fine, and get even better!

I just don't think there will be anymore progressive music made that we might compare to the glory days of 70/80s. Newer bands can record music that sounds like it but its not progressive anymore, it will only have prog attributes or tendencies, I don't want to call it copy cat recording.

This is our fault, more than it is the actual "music's" fault ... we were the ones that determined a particular number of bands for this or that, and then went out and said very stupid things about how they created the music ... and now we complaint about ... any new music being "copycat" ... it CAN ONLY BE SO IF IT IS DESIGNED LIKE ALL THE ONES WE MARKED SPECIAL.

It's just like ... CITY OF LOST CHILDREN ... we took away the DREAM ... by saying that it had to have this and this and this, and then a loud organ, and then a crazy bass player and then a nutz guitar, and so on ... and in the end, that is the stupidest definition of music that has EVER been defined. Not an inch of it, actually really defines what "progressive music" really was ... so ... AND IT'S TRUE HERE ... we look for a "sound like" ... or "sound alike" ... just look at the number of posts and how many folks, including the knowledgeable ones, making sure they participate ... are they improving "prog/progressive"? ... I, personally, have my doubts ... 

On top of it ... we even have the "instruments that created progressive music" ... when they were used all over the world, and other than the synthesizer, I am not convinced that they are the reason why the music was developed. Heck ... I don't see a whole lot of that in KC!

Read the GG sound like thread ... I'm not sure that people know what they would want from GG ... since they have so much to offer from so many different directions, and no two of them go to the same place! So the postings go every where, and makes it even harder to define and detail what/who might really be GG!

Edited by moshkito - September 28 2020 at 21:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 22:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

And there lies part of the problem and that is the name. Some people expect it to always be progressing. They don't expect it with classical, jazz or blues only prog rock and that's just because of the name. 

Hi,

This is something that does not, necessarily, have anything to do with "progressive music", or "prog", in my view of things ... we still love to hear Albinoni and Handel and Vivaldi ... and we do not worry about its progression.

Music has been changing since it has been "recorded" and this is now on what ... possibly some 600/700 years?

In the end, we will hear "jazz" the same way that we do "baroque", or any other "style". 

So, in some sense, it's probably OK to say that Prog is dying out ... and based on music history? ... it never died since folks still listen to it, and still love it ... and are you going to tell me that electrical musicians don't do baroque? You would be incorrect!

I think the comment, just needs a little more history, and DE's posting is a great example of how people love music and its history and where it comes from. Prog/Progressive, will likely fall into the same area, but I doubt it will die, or will make a "come back" ... music, of all kinds NEVER WENT AWAY ... only our ears turned to other places, like home, wife, kids, car, work ... and less music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 22:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

As for the amount of music there is such a thing as having too much imo. Some prog collectors have way too many albums and will never be able to listen to it all. Some stuff maybe you don't even want to hear more than a few times but you want in your collection anyway. For me I will put a limit on it at some point. Having 10,000 or more albums is just a bit too crazy so it will be less than that(maybe half of that)but I'm not there yet.
10,000!!! Are you whacked LOL... Based on some of the music sites I am on that people discuss collections, around 1000-2000 is about what is a lot for many or a higher end avg, and I'm talking LPs. CD I have read people might have 2-3,000 because used CDs are cheap now, nobody wants them they have no resale value.
But even still, do the math....say 3000 albums and you listen to 3 albums per day that's 1000 days needed or about 3yrs to listen to it all. Be realistic in how many FULL albums you listen to in a day or say a month......say 12 full albums in a month would take you 21yrs. With family, work, responsibilities closer to that than 3yrs.
The most I had was about 1200 LPs, over the past many years I sold, traded albums for other stuff and lost couple hundred in several house moves. I've got around 700 LPs now and that is very manageable, I could sell some still. But yea there are gobs of people who are true collectors of records and CDs that buy to have more.....They will never listen to it all
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 00:31
EDIT: wrong thread

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - September 29 2020 at 00:48

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>