Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is prog dying out, or coming back?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Norman Kiddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 11:16
Since the best or should I say most successful prog bands of the seventies were predominantly British and judging by the forums offered on this site are still the old favourites. Personally I'm still enjoying great prog music on a regular basis be it Scandinavian, Opeth, Wobbler, Katatonia, Moon Safari or Polish, Quidam, Riverside, Lunatic Soul not to forget the German and French bands Monkey3 and Lazuli. All are well documented in our archives. These bands might not be creating the classics of the past but isn't it more a case of them not being heard by the masses as was formerly the case. 
I will never give up my love of progressive rock music and look forward to Steven Wilson's new album in the new year.

FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 11:28
Originally posted by Norman Kiddie Norman Kiddie wrote:

Since the best or should I say most successful prog bands of the seventies were predominantly British and judging by the forums offered on this site are still the old favourites. Personally I'm still enjoying great prog music on a regular basis be it Scandinavian, Opeth, Wobbler, Katatonia, Moon Safari or Polish, Quidam, Riverside, Lunatic Soul not to forget the German and French bands Monkey3 and Lazuli. All are well documented in our archives. These bands might not be creating the classics of the past but isn't it more a case of them not being heard by the masses as was formerly the case. 
I will never give up my love of progressive rock music and look forward to Steven Wilson's new album in the new year.

^Likewise! I suppose prog isn't dying out and will never; just predominately unpopular as always. I prefer it that way, though, I like being able to talk to my friends about bands they've never heard of. Immortal Onion, for example... Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 08:58
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Maybe the tread should have asked "how commercially viable is prog rock now?"
That's basically what I was originally asking with my first modern prog thread.

Oh, that's really easy. "It's not". 

Unless you're a big name prog rock band from the 70's doing a tour. When that all finishes, which must be fairly soon, prog rock will be commercially dead. As will so many other genres, of course. 

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 12:19
I don't know if I posted on here before or not. I probably did but I don't remember what I said. Anyway, it's neither. It's not dead and it's not coming back. It's "living in the zone of the in betweens" as Peter Gabriel might say. Anyway, I would say for a while it was underground but these days probably somewhere in between mainstream and underground although probably a bit closer to underground.

Also, with the exception of younger people I seriously doubt prog is getting many newer fans these days or many older fans rediscovering it. The latter was the case in the 90's and into the 2000's but now I think pretty much most(if not all)of the people who grew up in the old days have either  found it by now or just aren't interested in exploring it further. I certainly don't think there are many people who's favorite artists are Bad Company, Bruce Springsteen, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Foghat, Aerosmith, BTO, ZZ Top and Ted Nugent who are suddenly going to say to themselves "yeah, prog rock is what I should look into. Maybe I never gave Yes and Genesis a fair shot. That's what I'm into now." Likewise those who like the damned, the new york dolls, the sex pistols, the ramones and the clash aren't going to suddenly say yeah, maybe I was wrong about prog. Maybe I should listen to topographic oceans now." LOL I'm not saying everyone is locked into genres and plays identity musical politics but a lot of people do including many prog fans.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 19 2020 at 12:30
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 12:58
I think that there is a dis-interestedness of people listening to music in the way progressive music demands to be listened to.  Many people don't have the attention span for the longer pieces, many people just are not at all exposed to it if all they are tuned in to is current popular music trends.  That being said, I think that many of the people who DO listen to progressive are also musicians and are more actively seeking interesting material (as well as making it).  At least it seems this way to me.  My 27 year old son knows pretty much a lot about all kinds of music, but he grew up in a very music-oriented family.  He's shocked by the ignorance of much of it by people in his own, and particularly, slightly young age groups.  There are always exceptions, though and people that are drawn to the arts as more than a way to become rich and famous will likely always find their way to at least some progressive music.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 13:03
If prog lasts as long as this thread than it will be in good shape. ;)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 13:11
LOL
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 14:41
I imagine in a few years prog will be like barbershop quartets. There are still people out there involved with it, but nobody really cares.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 15:21
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I think that there is a dis-interestedness of people listening to music in the way progressive music demands to be listened to.  Many people don't have the attention span for the longer pieces, many people just are not at all exposed to it if all they are tuned in to is current popular music trends.  That being said, I think that many of the people who DO listen to progressive are also musicians and are more actively seeking interesting material (as well as making it).  At least it seems this way to me.  My 27 year old son knows pretty much a lot about all kinds of music, but he grew up in a very music-oriented family.  He's shocked by the ignorance of much of it by people in his own, and particularly, slightly young age groups.  There are always exceptions, though and people that are drawn to the arts as more than a way to become rich and famous will likely always find their way to at least some progressive music.

My dad knew a guy who taught at the same college he did who was an art teacher and his favorite band was Pink Floyd(or at least he was a big fan of them). This was in the 70's before they became a bit more commercial sounding. I don't know anything else about his musical taste; I just know that when he died they played PF at his funeral. That's probably what they'll play at my uncle's funeral too. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 19 2020 at 15:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 15:53
I hope that will be a long time from now, Mike.  
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2020 at 15:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

My dad knew a guy who taught at the same college he did who was an art teacher and his favorite band was Pink Floyd(or at least he was a big fan of them). This was in the 70's before they became a bit more commercial sounding. I don't know anything else about his musical taste; I just know that when he died they played PF at his funeral. That's probably what they'll play at my uncle's funeral too. 
I'm assuming the funeral song probably wasn't "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict". 

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 19:36
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I hope that will be a long time from now, Mike.  

My uncle turned 90 earlier in the year but who knows. His hearing is gone but other than that he's doing ok. I doubt he still listens to PF or if he does he has to play it really loud to hear it. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 19:39
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm assuming the funeral song probably wasn't "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict". 

I have no idea since I wasn't there. My guess would be maybe the song "time" or maybe a whole bunch of PF songs. I really have no clue. Being that he was an abstract artist and art teacher I wouldn't be at all surprised if he knew the early stuff like "several species" or "set the controls" or "careful with that axe" or whatever. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2020 at 19:39
Wow, 90 is respectable!
pingkrimfloyd58 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingkrimfloyd58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 09:51
Coming back for sure!  It didn't seem that there was much to offer in the 2000s.  now with at least progmetal it's back in a (comparatively)  big way.   Haken, Leprous, The Contortionist, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth.  Sadly Steven Wilson has gone in the opposite direction but I think he can be credited with at least helping the cause.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 10:11
Originally posted by pingkrimfloyd58 pingkrimfloyd58 wrote:

Coming back for sure!  It didn't seem that there was much to offer in the 2000s.  now with at least progmetal it's back in a (comparatively)  big way.   Haken, Leprous, The Contortionist, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth.  Sadly Steven Wilson has gone in the opposite direction but I think he can be credited with at least helping the cause.
For me, it's also coming back - not just in prog metal, but in more experimental prog ("eclectic" prog) and avant prog. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Kayo Dot and Thank You Scientist to name a few, are all very different from each other, but are bands that have a completely different approach to traditional prog. Avant prog is still going strong, two new RIO/Zeuhl bands I enjoy are Lost Crowns and Zwoyld. Even unpopular neo prog seems to be returning.
Only thing is, it has not returned commercially - and I'm not sure it ever will. Progressive has never exactly been "cool" anyway, even in the '70s.
One thing I disagree with - the 2000s being a bad decade. Quite the contrary, the late 90s and early 00s were what I call the "third wave". Prog metal reached it's peak with Opeth, Tool and Dream Theatre. Neo prog returned with Sylvan, Arena, Magenta and Frost. Even psychedelic and space rock had two big bands - Porcupine Tree and the Mars Volta. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 10:42
Originally posted by pingkrimfloyd58 pingkrimfloyd58 wrote:

I disagree. I think Steven Wilson has very little to do with prog metal. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 10:43
^Maybe he meant helping bring prog in general back.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 10:47
it has not returned commercially - and I'm not sure it ever will. Progressive has never exactly been "cool" anyway, even in the '70s.

For the most part I agree. There were a few bands in the 70's who got pretty big(Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP and Genesis in particular)but for the most part the genre was never really ever seen as "cool" and still isn't. Also, there hasn't really been any bands as big as them since then. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2020 at 10:48
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

^Maybe he meant helping bring prog in general back.

Well, that I would agree with although SW didn't do that all by himself. It's even arguable(as you yourself suggested)that prog even ever really came "back."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>