Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive poll 41b - Welcome to the machines!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll 41b - Welcome to the machines!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Poll Question: Three favourites please!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [15.15%]
5 [15.15%]
2 [6.06%]
3 [9.09%]
1 [3.03%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [6.06%]
3 [9.09%]
3 [9.09%]
5 [15.15%]
1 [3.03%]
2 [6.06%]
1 [3.03%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 06:45
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

2.  The Fireman - "Watercolour Guitars"  (extra points if you can say what very well-known musician performs under this alias)

Generally great suggestions, the Infected Mushroom one is great, I know and love the next two and wouldn't have had them on my radar for this poll, but it makes sense. Paul McCartney is the Fireman, nice surprise that album. I also have and like some Kruder and Dorfmeister, though not that one.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 06:48
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I can't really explain it, but this one has grabbed me from the very first time I heard it. It's pretty pure techno, and a rather atypical track by one of these long standing progressive bands that don't count as prog with a similar standing and an even bigger discography actually than Einstuerzende Neubauten. I don't have much hope that this will be very popular around here, but anyway, Laibach need to be present in one of these polls.
[video removed]
Video is coming up as unavailable for me. Doesn't show what the name of the track is.

Yeah, I was concerned that would be the case as as far as I know there is no alternative video of that one on youtube. I go searching for something at some point later. It's called Sympathy for the Devil (Soul to Waste instrumental version; the version is important here because they made quite a number of "Sympathy for the Devil" versions quite different from each other.)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 06:51
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

great song, now I'll look into this band some more. 
I think the wrong team evaluated this, maybe progressive electronic. If it was suggested for crossover, I would have said yes. Tongue
We evaluate PE as well but the whole album is more Funk/Disco with spacey synths than Prog.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 06:52
In the meantime here's an out of competition entry, once more making the point that the fact that Can keyboarder Irmin Schmidt, still active at >80 years of age, is not listed here is an oddity without equal. Brilliant progressive electronic music from his Toy Planet collaboration with Bruno Spoerri. (I had Irmin nominated already, so won't nominate him this time, but anyway, his music is worth exploring, and he is a true prog giant who for reasons beyond any comprehension is not listed here.)

Edited by Lewian - September 30 2020 at 06:52
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 06:53
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

great song, now I'll look into this band some more. 
I think the wrong team evaluated this, maybe progressive electronic. If it was suggested for crossover, I would have said yes. Tongue
We evaluate PE as well but the whole album is more Funk/Disco with spacey synths than Prog.

I am gonna try and listen to a full length release from them. Big smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:01
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ "The Book Lovers" is one of my very favourite tracks. Was saving that for a themed poll as my nomination, damn.    And while we could, sorry mentioning five. I see people would rather we keep the number down even with twice the time.

I wouldn't take that seriously. Everyone needs to live with the fact that maybe not all nominations are listened to, and at some point people start to discuss, exchange ideas and that leads to more songs posted as experience shows. Fine by me.

The only appeal that I'd like to make is when listening try to listen to at least one by everyone rather than listening to five suggested by one person before even starting with another.

* EDIT: Since I did five (even if allowed), to save time for others, I think I will go straight to my nomination and nominate Giorigio Moroder - "(Theme From) Midnight Express" even if it is well known. Egisto Macchi is my favourite artist of those I listed, but I prefer his music as full albums.

Well, you can do what you want, but how on earth is that supposed to help with the number of suggestions?

Edited by Lewian - September 30 2020 at 07:02
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:12
I have much fun listening to Lothar and the Hand People. I had never heard of them but they seem to be synthesizer pioneers among rock bands; thanks for bringing them up!
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:40

I can't really explain it, but this one has grabbed me from the very first time I heard it. It's pretty pure techno, and a rather atypical track by one of these long standing progressive bands that don't count as prog with a similar standing and an even bigger discography actually than Einstuerzende Neubauten. I don't have much hope that this will be very popular around here, but anyway, Laibach need to be present in one of these polls.
[video removed]
Video is coming up as unavailable for me. Doesn't show what the name of the track is.

Yeah, I was concerned that would be the case as as far as I know there is no alternative video of that one on youtube. I go searching for something at some point later. It's called Sympathy for the Devil (Soul to Waste instrumental version; the version is important here because they made quite a number of "Sympathy for the Devil" versions quite different from each other.)

I did find a Soul to Waste instrumental version 1988 on YouTube that played for me. It probably won't play for you because it didn't come up in your search. To verify, the time on it is 7:52.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:50

I did find a Soul to Waste instrumental version 1988 on YouTube that played for me. It probably won't play for you because it didn't come up in your search. To verify, the time on it is 7:52.

You're right, I can't see that one, but 7:52 is about right (mine is 7:54).
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:08
Well, apart from the electronic music (mainly German) of the seventies and eighties, classified here as progressive electronic or kraut rock, I practically never listen to electronic music ... 

but tonight I will contribute to the poll by posting two songs by a writer friend of mine and Italian-German musician, whom I had proposed to Progarchives, but which was unfortunately (for Progarchives) rejected.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:10

2.  The Fireman - "Watercolour Guitars"  (extra points if you can say what very well-known musician performs under this alias)

Generally great suggestions, the Infected Mushroom one is great, I know and love the next two and wouldn't have had them on my radar for this poll, but it makes sense. Paul McCartney is the Fireman, nice surprise that album. I also have and like some Kruder and Dorfmeister, though not that one.

I pretty much figured you would probably know who The Fireman was.  McCartney obviously has capabilities and has been under-appreciated in his later years, but this proves that he's still a genius.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:15

Oops I guess I forgot you did it there already.  I will (regretfully) take that one down and put up something else in it's place.  I love that track too, but already knew it which is why I didn't vote for it then.

Or never saw it. No need to remove it as that was not an Interactive poll and there were few votes and respondents. I really love that song. I only discovered it over the past couple of years. Like a lot of 90s poppy music, I got into it by discovering an old very late night and adult BBC radio sketch comedy/music show called Blue Jam by Chris Morris (that inspired another pop or poppy music topic I made). I'm very happy for more people to hear it. I got into Stereolab, Broadcast, Portishead, Cardigans, more Beck, Eels and others through that 90s British radio program. A very adult-themed program. I could never imagine the CBC commissioning something like it.

I was planning to do a 90s-up art pop, Indietronica, chamber pop, baroque pop, trip-hop and more poppy music poll. I almost did that last round. So many poll ideas, so much time between turns.

Okay, since it wasn't used in an interactive poll, I will put Broadcast "The Book Lovers" back up again.  I'm also putting it here in case you missed it on my first post.  This is such a great track that I hate to not put it up.

3. Broadcast - "The Book Lovers"

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:24
Broadcast are a very interesting band even though not that electronic - RIP Trish Keenan who died far too early in 2011! The Noise Made by People is my favourite 2000 album and in my top 50 of all time.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:33
^Electronic can encompass a lot of styles and levels of "electonic-icity" just like progressive music can.  It's true it might not be that electronic, but it is considered electronic and is used not just because I like the track, but because it also proves that electronic music is also quite varied.  So many people say they don't like electronic, but that is because they haven't looked at all sides of it.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:58
That's a good point... I love the topic myself but was a bit worried that some may not like it. But there should at least be something to like to be found!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:16

electronic but not on PA

Electronic, but not in PA? Seems unlikely. But I think I may have some tunes that could count as "electronic". For example, the first one:

Philip Glass - 1000 Airplanes On The Roof

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 11:48
I would've joined with the supreme Mortal Kombat theme. I already put this one in one of the earlier polls, albeit not as a nomination.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 11:54

I have much fun listening to Lothar and the Hand People. I had never heard of them but they seem to be synthesizer pioneers among rock bands; thanks for bringing them up!
  Glad you enjoyed them, I was worried they wouldn't sound sophisticated enough, but they are certainly a bit of electronic music history.  This record was produced by Robert Margouleff, and they enjoyed some small underground success with a 10-minute piece called "Space Hymn," from that self-titled second release.  I'm not sure whether "Machines," suits for "electronic music," (you'll have to let me know) but since it's a kind of obscure piece, am going to post it also here, at least for fun, if it's not eligible.  Video is also pretty clever.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 13:08
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 13:37
I do realise that this was a bit of an egoist topic... some people are happy if they find one or two things in their collection and I have the hardest time ever to decide how to restrict myself. Anyway I put up another one, from an 80s album that is pretty unknown but I always loved it for its unapologetic roboticness - and it has even some kind of melodic composition, and some very subtle but rather unrobotic surprises. Actually it's quite deceptive because it may sound a bit like an automatic composition based on somehow mathematically modifying the theme, but actually it has irregularities all over the place if you start looking for them. The whole album is like that, beginning to end. There's nothing like it (although the guy had heard a good dose of Kraftwerk before starting with his own music, as I know from an interview). The work of a genius if you ask me, but maybe difficult to get into for those who treasure human life and its expressions. Serge Blenner - Fracture 2

Edited by Lewian - September 30 2020 at 14:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>