Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magma vs Marillion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
25 [43.10%]
27 [46.55%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.72%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [6.90%]
1 [1.72%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magma vs Marillion
    Posted: October 02 2020 at 16:33
The battle of the m bands. 

Sure it's apples and oranges but who cares. Stop taking these polls seriously and just give your opinion and have fun. Wink
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 17:02
Both versions of Marillion wipe the floor with Magma.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 17:05
Easily Magma 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 17:16
Fish-era Marillion is the only era of them that interests me. After that, I find their output questionable - some of it is really good while some of it is not. Magma has also produced their less than desirable albums, but for the most part, their music is fantastic. I understand it is not for everyone - the missus can't stand them, but for those who have been brought under the Kobaian spell, there is little that can top them. Magma gets my vote.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 17:24
I like very much 3 or 4 albums by Marillion but....

Magma are artists, Marillion are very good craftsmen. 

Edited by jamesbaldwin - October 02 2020 at 17:25
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 18:23
The both option could be called Magmarillion. It's a reasonably sensible comparison to me as both are leaders of their categories. Magma for me. Love the band. And I enjoy all of the Magma albums. To me Kobaia is one of the most ambitious and kick-arse debuts in Prog, and Magma has done so much dynamic, interesting, and transcendent music over 50 years per my experience. Magma is one of the "Prog" greats for me. I really like Magma's groove and more. An Ian Mosley vs. Christian Vander drummer poll might be somewhat interesting.

Edited by Logan - October 02 2020 at 18:25
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 19:31
I should mention that I haven't heard many Marillion albums, whereas I have about 30 Magma albums in my collection. I have heard the Fish albums and a couple other Marillion albums in full -- Brave and Season's End, so it might seem a bit unfair to vote. I think listening to lives can be very important to get a band, and I have listened to very little Marillion live.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 22:08
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Add in the klingon vocals and lyrics, Magma loses by several light years.

Please close this thread.Clap
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 22:29
Do you think that you might enjoy Magma considerably more if the vocals were in French?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 22:34
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Add in the klingon vocals and lyrics, Magma loses by several light years.

Please close this thread.Clap

Have you seen them live? I think they might be one of those bands that you have to see live to fully appreciate or at least hear the live/hai album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 22:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I should mention that I haven't heard many Marillion albums, whereas I have about 30 Magma albums in my collection. I have heard the Fish albums and a couple other Marillion albums in full -- Brave and Season's End, so it might seem a bit unfair to vote. I think listening to lives can be very important to get a band, and I have listened to very little Marillion live.

And if you heard the album in between those two H era albums you might recognize the quote in my sig. ;)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 22:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

And if you heard the album in between those two H era albums you might recognize the quote in my sig. ;)

I looked it up, The Rake’s Progress.   Or as the great German writer Hermann Hesse had put it, “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.”

Edited by Logan - October 02 2020 at 22:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 23:07

I looked it up, The Rake’s Progress.   Or as the great German writer Hermann Hesse had put it, “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us.”

The album it's from is called Holidays in Eden and the Rake's Progress links the song before it to the last song from the album but then the last song ends with a reprise of the song that comes before it. It all sounds a bit confusing but it's one of the most chilling(in a good way)endings of an album I have heard. The whole album is great and I think it gets overlooked because it's a bit on the poppy side but there's some very solid tracks on it regardless imo.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 02 2020 at 23:09
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 00:16
The only similarity these two bands have is that both begin with the letter M.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 00:21
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

The only similarity these two bands have is that both begin with the letter M.

They both start with an m and the next letter in both bands is a. I never said they had to be similar anyway and whoever made up the rule that they had to be similar has no imagination. Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 01:01

Sure it's apples and oranges but who cares. Stop taking these polls seriously and just give your opinion and have fun. Wink
I have a pretty good idea who you had in mind when you said "Stop taking these polls seriously" Wink

In the case of Marillion, I've listened to them but wish I hadn't, and in the case of Magma, I haven't listened to them but wish I had. Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 01:38
Tricky one. They're so evenly matched.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 02:14
Magma, no doubt.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 02:42
Apples vs oranges polls actually say a lot more about you than any apples vs slightly different apples polls ever could.

I know little of Marillion's music, but know enough that for a person who would probably vote for The Residents over Genesis, Magma is definitely going to be the easy choice.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 03:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I have a pretty good idea who you had in mind when you said "Stop taking these polls seriously" Wink

In the case of Marillion, I've listened to them but wish I hadn't, and in the case of Magma, I haven't listened to them but wish I had. Smile

You have only listened to Marillion in shyty youtube video, but i don't know what happens in your mind every time you see the word Marillion, short-circuit or something. 

But Paul, Magma are French, will you listen to prog made in France?! It'll be armaggedon I tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!
End of days! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>