Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Choose one decade to last forever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which decade deserves eternal continuity?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [11.43%]
12 [34.29%]
4 [11.43%]
3 [8.57%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.86%]
7 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choose one decade to last forever
    Posted: October 03 2020 at 17:05
I considered creating this poll in the "Just for Fun" section, yet then figured that we might learn some history while having fun here; on condition that some people give such details because of which they choose a particular decade.

Anyway, this is still mainly for fun. If I were given some divine power to realize that, I assure you that I'd reject it in split seconds.

While choosing your option:

Only consider the "atmosphere" of the decade (that means, you'll not return to your childhood; also, if that decade was personally problematic for you, that doesn't count); or decide regarding your knowledge of the time period if your preference is a decade, before your birth.

As I said, only take "the atmosphere" into consideration, which means the same things won't happen. Otherwise you could easily be rich or a famous oracle, hahah.

For instance, are you a flamboyant capitalist? You can choose the decade when capitalism was (or is it now?) the strongest. Essentially the dynamics of the decade that construct its "soul" will go on forever.

Only the last option promises a fresh and uncertain future. I'm not that vile to put an option which ominously would bestow Covid-19 curse on humanity forever, haha.

I personally choose the 1980s. I was born in 1981, and I still enjoy the 80s' stuff immensely. I just love the futuristic vibe of the decade. My second choice would be some decade in the 1800s. I guess I wouldn't fit in with the prehistoric societies. The last option? Come on, that is boring. It's we all continue to go through. What's the fun of choosing something that is already granted to us? Star

How about you?

Edited by Shadowyzard - October 03 2020 at 19:30
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 17:18
A fresh and uncertain future for this geezer.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 02:30
I choose uncertainty and mystery!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 02:47
From a proggy perspective, I'd have to go with the 1970's, but overall, I'd choose the 2010's, because I didn't have ProgArchives and the Internet before 2010. Smile
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 05:19
Always moving forward! Mostly due to the Wobbler album coming out in 18 days Wink
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 05:45
Assuming you also had the tech, music, etc. of the previous years while also looping...

...I could live the 90's over and over no problem!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 06:41
1920s! Avant-garde, man, avant-garde. It started of course a bit earlier, but a lot came to full bloom in the 20s: in painting, in cinema, in music, in photography... Avant-garde and experimentation everywhere. And lots of parties!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 07:57
I don't know, 60s and 70s seems to be the most liberated and expressionistic.  World nowadays seems to be reverting to Victorianism and pre 50's wouldn't really want to live through those wars, bad enough with Covid nowadays being stuck in your village.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:20
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

1920s! Avant-garde, man, avant-garde. It started of course a bit earlier, but a lot came to full bloom in the 20s: in painting, in cinema, in music, in photography... Avant-garde and experimentation everywhere. And lots of parties!
This EXACTLY. Could miss out Spanish flu at the beginning and the Wall Street crash at the end, but apart from that, a wonderful decade. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:26
The problem with the earlier periods, they were only enjoyed by the select few effluents.  Normal Joe would be working 12 hours, 6 days a week just to feed and heat the upper class and be a crippled chocking old man by the time he in his 40s.  The numbers game would make it doubtful that you would be one of the ones to get to enjoy it... lol

Edited by Spaciousmind - October 04 2020 at 08:29
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:32
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

The problem with the earlier periods, they were only enjoyed by the select few effluents.  Normal Joe would be working 12 hours, 6 days a week just to feed and heat the upper class and be a crippled chocking old man by the time he in his 40s.  The numbers game would make it doubtful that you would be one of the ones to get to enjoy it... lol
That is true. If you look at it like that though, the decade we've just had is the best.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

That is true. If you look at it like that though, the decade we've just had is the best.

True, but even today its still all luck of the draw.  Imagine being born in some starving village with none of the amenities, fighting to survive everyday just to get a bowl of food.   Maybe the future is the only way to go.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:44

True, but even today its still all luck of the draw.  Imagine being born in some starving village with none of the amenities, fighting to survive everyday just to get a bowl of food.   Maybe the future is the only way to go.

It also flashed into my mind. I'm an anarchist, so of course ever forward till an anarchic order(?) is established.

You can imagine like you're not living a miserable life. This is just fancy stuff! Wink 
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:03
1970s
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:21
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

It also flashed into my mind. I'm an anarchist, so of course ever forward till an anarchic order(?) is established.

You can imagine like you're not living a miserable life. This is just fancy stuff! Wink 

Just had a thought... maybe heaven and hell exists as a selection for your next birth.  Maybe those heads of mountains of gold (like Smaug) are the selection for kicking off their new life in the lowest absolutely poorest of African villages.  Now that would be some kind of devilish justice for all of us!  lol
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:29
Haha, then I'd always choose the middle. So I'll stay in the middle forever. I hope. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:30
Me too!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:08
For me personally...the 70's...I started college in '69, met my wife ,and we married in '74 ,and had fun for 5 years before we had kids...
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:15
The 1980s because of the hair.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:25
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

The 1980s because of the hair.

That makes sense. How come you only post cryptic messages on my blogs? Geek
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>