Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Choose one decade to last forever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which decade deserves eternal continuity?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [11.43%]
12 [34.29%]
4 [11.43%]
3 [8.57%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.86%]
7 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:43
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

The 1980s because of the hair.

That makes sense. How come you only post cryptic messages on my blogs? Geek

A box and a hamper cross the road. Let the mooing begin.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:59

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The 1980s because of the hair.

That makes sense. How come you only post cryptic messages on my blogs? Geek

A box and a hamper cross the road. Let the mooing begin.
I wish I'd never asked. Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 04:46
Hi,

I'm thinking most of us voted for something "we knew" and were there.

But when it comes to history of the arts ... the scenery changes ... and yeah, the 1910's, 1020's were massive with Film, Radio and basically the media taking over ... not to mention music is then recorded regularly and sold, though it wasn't until the "talkies" that music really became a major show for everyone. 

I kinda thought (joke from a Victorian book!!!) that the reason was that everyone thought music was just 5 or 10 people sitting down looking at their script! I guess a movie or two threw that out the window and all of a sudden everyone wanted to see it!

The 1790's all the way through 1810's are huge in literature ... the reign of terror, spun an incredible number of guts and gore in literature (including gothic), compliments of French political scene. It also brought out "new" music that might be on par with the history of painting considered "nationalistic". 

Edited by moshkito - October 05 2020 at 04:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 04:28
If I had to choose, I would say the 1990's.

Noting to do with prog rock, although the indie and electronic music of the day was excellent. It was just 'my decade' A time when I was happiest and having the most fun.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 04:52
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Noting to do with prog rock, although the indie and electronic music of the day was excellent. It was just 'my decade' A time when I was happiest and having the most fun.

For similar reasons I'd choose the 1980s. School finished for ever, I was out earning and spending it all on drinking, gigs and parties.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 10:46
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

For similar reasons I'd choose the 1980s. School finished for ever, I was out earning and spending it all on drinking, gigs and parties.

As you say, the 80s were great. I believe on some music programme made in the very late '70s (I think it was Sounds of the Seventies) the past decade was so described: "The early '70s prog rock were the Dark Ages, the mid-70s punk were the Wars of the Roses and here we are now at the Rennaisance". 
Still prefer the '20s! (though I never saw them...)
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 11:53
The 1970s. No AIDs. Great music in nearly every genre. Cheap cigarettes and beer. What more could you want?
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:01
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

The 1970s. No AIDs. Great music in nearly every genre. Cheap cigarettes and beer. What more could you want?

Hi,

In those days? A good CAN of herb!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:42
72030s 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:48
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

72030s 

It crossed my mind to put an option from the future, and warn you to be ready for bearing the consequences. You could even be conjured up right in the outer space, if the Earth happened to have been destroyed by then. LOL

Edited by Shadowyzard - October 06 2020 at 15:56
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 10:53
In some ways I think the sixties were the best decade eventhough it was just before I was born. I like the idealism and the music but over all I would chose the seventies even though I was only a little kid and didn't get into prog rock from that decade until the following decade. I think the drugs from the sixties were a bit much and while you had watergate and other issues in the seventies I'm chosing it mainly for the music.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 10:56

I see you are about a year older than me(well a year and a few months to be exact). Yeah, the 90's were great in some ways and probably the decade I am the most nostalgic about these days for some reason. I was into the alternative stuff at the time. There was also some good britpop and trip hop in that decade. I also liked the grunge stuff although it later became almost a parody of itself. Of course you had the rediscovery of prog with Anglagard and Ozric Tentacles and many others.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 01:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I see you are about a year older than me(well a year and a few months to be exact). Yeah, the 90's were great in some ways and probably the decade I am the most nostalgic about these days for some reason. I was into the alternative stuff at the time. There was also some good britpop and trip hop in that decade. I also liked the grunge stuff although it later became almost a parody of itself. Of course you had the rediscovery of prog with Anglagard and Ozric Tentacles and many others.

The Ozrics were a big part of my 90's music appreciation too. I saw them a few times. They were at their peak around Strangitude & Jurassic Shift IMO.

I was also very much into the dance and 'trip hop' stuff of the day. I had more money in the 90's than I did in the 80's so I went gig crazy! I have fond memories of seeing The Orb, Orbital, Massive Attack, Cocteau Twins, Moby, Depeche Mode, Curve, Lush, The Sundays, Aphex Twin, Slowdive, Fields of the Nephilim... Good days indeed. Parties, raves, gigs the lot..

The 80's were ok too, but I only turned 18 in 1987 so I caught the arse end of the decade with music, although I did like a lot of the goth and indie acts of the time; The Mission, All About Eve, New Model Army, PWEI et al..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 10:33
I said my second choice would be a decade in the 1800s. It is because I love literature and the first half of the 19th century was great in that regard. Ahh, Romanticism...
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 05:46
Has to be the 60's for me. My formative years, especially in terms of music and literature. Age 7 - 17, Discovered every sort of music and watched as new music emerged. Found Sci-Fi & Fantasy (especially Michael Moorcock) plus all the other things you discovered as a teenager in the 60's Wink
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 06:27
The 1960s. Or the 1790s in France. The closest we've ever gotten to true democracy.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 06:30
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

The 1960s. Or the 1790s in France. The closest we've ever gotten to true democracy.

you've read some weird history books then. LOL
True democracy with a guillotine... 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 08:43
I'm a 2000s kid.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 10:57
1967-1976. Technically a decade too.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2020 at 15:17
I assume if that really happened it would become torturous.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>