Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This Place is a Zoo #4 - Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these songs by zoo animal bands is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [22.73%]
4 [18.18%]
4 [18.18%]
1 [4.55%]
2 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This Place is a Zoo #4 - Bands
    Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:48
Welcome to the next addition of This Place is a Zoo, where we take a group field trip to the sights and sounds of the Prog Zoo.  I have selected an eclectic group of 25 songs created by bands named after animals, most of which can be found at a zoo.  You know when you go to the zoo and look into the habitats high and low to try and find the animal but you just can't seem to find them because they are hiding or blending in with their surroundings.  Well, these are those bands.  There are no Camels or Porcupine Trees in this poll, so I suspect it might not be as "popular" as the previous polls, but I hope that it makes it more beneficial and that people are led to discover new music.  I have tried to make it eclectic, so there are bands from many of the different subgenres.  Most of these bands and albums are not in my collection, so that meant that I spent a lot of time discovering new bands and music while preparing this poll.  There are some hidden gems from the early 70's as well as a lot of modern bands that may have slipped under the radar for many of us.  Anyhow, I hope that you will find this to be an enjoyable safari.  I have allowed multiple votes in this poll, so please vote for up to 3 favorites and provide a list and discuss what you enjoyed and what you didn't enjoy.

Rather than posting all of the videos in here, I am instead providing a link to a YouTube Playlist.

And with that, I leave you with this bonus video of a non-PA band that felt like it was appropriate.

Enjoy!

Edited by rushfan4 - May 15 2021 at 21:08
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 08:51
I've heard of four bands out of these, listen to only one (Elephants of Scotland).
Will listen and vote later. Tongue
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 09:58
This will take me some time. I haven't heard a single one of those bands. As before, thanks for the YouTube playlist
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 10:54
What, no Mandrill? LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 11:00
Well...don't really know most of those, but always been a 'Groundhogs' fan so......Tony McPhee and co.

Edited by dr wu23 - October 04 2020 at 11:01
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 11:04
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

What, no Mandrill? LOL
Nope.  They were in the last poll.  These are all new bands.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 11:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well...don't really know most of those, but always been a 'Groundhogs' fan so......Tony McPhee and co.
You might want to check out some of the hidden gems from the older bands: Jackal, Opossum and Froggie Beaver.  Those might be up your alley.  
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 11:06
Camel fans should check out Nimbus/Shadowlands from Shave the Monkey.  I think that you might find some enjoyment in that song.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:20
Kind of bummed no Frogg Cafe.

Still listening, lots of good music.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 12:26
Frogg Cafe have a spot in one of the future polls.  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 16:01
Thanks. A lot of great music. These are my top three.

Lion Shepherd - Definite Riverside vibe/feel.
Bear is Driving - A djent vibe. Or is it 80's KC?
Giraffes? Giraffes - Loud song. Love the urgent Neil Young guitar solo.

Honorable mentions...Skyfox 8, Shave the Monkey, and Them Moose Rush (one of my favorite newer discoveries).

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 16:33
Good choices.  I like those three.  I agree with the Riverside vibe on Lion Shepherd (they are from Poland), and the djent vibe on Bear is Driving.  I didn't pick up on the Neil Young guitar solo on Giraffes? Giraffes!.  I will have to give that song another listen and see if I can pick up on that.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 17:12
Penguin Cafe Orchestra. Think different.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 23:25
Don;t know most of these. Wolves In The Thorne Room of the ones I know
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 14:54
I would highly recommend the Superluminal Pachyderm Off At Tangents song to Father Christmas and Psychedelic Paul...it might open their eyes to a few things.  LOL
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 07:17
As I suspected.  No Camel or no Porcupine Tree and this poll died a quick death.  Oh well.  That was a lot of wasted time and effort....at least I got to enjoy trying listening to some new stuff for me, so all was not lost. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 07:24
^I enjoyed it. Thanks.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 08:34
That makes two of us.  The animals in this zoo are feeling lonely.  I guess 25 songs that nobody has ever heard is way too much for this site.  I know that I can't compete with British albums that have been talked to death or here are 25 albums of which you have heard two, so vote for your favorite.   It is just frustrating that we can't get any discussions going on anything other than the big 6 bands (and of course I always add Rush and call it the big 7, but that is my point of view).  Would more people participate if I kept this to 5 or 10 songs instead of 25?  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 08:55
I'll participate. This is a great way to share music with others that they might never hear. I share your frustration and don't know how we get others to discuss something different. If we paid them?

25 songs is a bit much but would 10 bring more discussion???

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - October 11 2020 at 08:56
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 09:07
I doubt it.  I purposely kept the COVID tournament to 5 bands in hopes of getting participation and discussion and pretty much none of those threads made it past the first page other than with my multiple bumps to try and get peoples attention.  I might have to change my user name to Grumpyprogfantoo!  This site just seems to make me grumpy these days.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>