Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOP 20 Genesis Songs. Results

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOP 20 Genesis Songs. Results
    Posted: October 05 2020 at 01:32
Without further ado, here's the final list!

~~~THE LIST~~~

We started the project in February, but with only 2-3 threads done initiallty, the bulk of it (#4-#20) was completed between July and today, so 3.5 months roughly. A marathon really! I'm very happy we managed to do it all and would like to thank everyone who participated - even more thanks to regulars who contributed to pretty much all threads:
Richardh, Argo2112, EarlOfMar, Bender99, BrufordFreak, Gentle and Giant (all have 15+ threads under their belt!), Cristi, FatherChristmas, someone_else, Tom Ozric, Spacegod87, Mortte, iluvmarillion, deadwing and tempest_77. It couldn't be done without your help guys! Beer

Now let me entertain you with a bit of trivia Wink
  • the most dominant win, of course, belongs to Supper's Ready. It gathered 16 first place votes and 75 points in total. The next two songs - which proved to be neck and neck, Firth of Fifth and The Cinema Show - got 39 and 32 points respectively (2 and 4 first place votes, to drive the point home)
  • the most narrow win? Mad Man Moon beats Entangled with 18.5 to 18.0 points. The latter didn't make the list!
  • some songs got a ton of votes, but never enough to make the cut. Anyway scored points in all threads, even had a 2nd place in #10 thread, but eventually fell out of favor. Same is true with The Carpet Crawlers, six finishes in TOP 5, lost to Duke's Travels in #17, and then never made it
  • let's see how many entries each album has: Trespass 2, Nursery Cryme 3, Foxtrot 3, Selling 3, Lamb 2, Trick 3, Wind 3, Duke 1. Gabriel Era = 13, Collins Era = 7, seems fair. No song from ...And Then There Were Three made it though!
  • we had 317 "ballots" (or votes) in 20 threads, with average 15.9 ballots per thread. Deece!
  • 67 songs got votes in this project, including all of Trespass and A Trick of the Tail. The only album without votes is, believe it or not, We Can't Dance. Even Abacab and Calling All Stations had a share!
And now let me recommend you a great GENESIS medley by Gabbie Ratchet... what a beautiful stuff, enjoy Cool

Edited by thief - October 06 2020 at 03:43
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 08:54
So you mean Ripples beat Entangled by .5 points?

Excellent poll....

Edited by Catcher10 - October 05 2020 at 08:54
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 09:06
I think I could have comfortably guessed the top 4 but there are one or two surprises after that e.g. Can-Utility. I'm slightly gutted that Carpet Crawlers didn't make it, maybe I didn't vote enough.

Edited by chopper - October 05 2020 at 09:08
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 09:33
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I think I could have comfortably guessed the top 4 but there are one or two surprises after that e.g. Can-Utility. I'm slightly gutted that Carpet Crawlers didn't make it, maybe I didn't vote enough.
I'm surprised Carpet Crawlers wasn't in the final Top 20 too, although I didn't get a mention in the intro, so maybe I didn't contribute enough votes. Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 05 2020 at 09:36
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 10:16
Great job, Jozef! That was simple, easy, and both fun and frustrating. (So many GREAT songs didn't make it!)
Thanks!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 10:19
Thanks a lot for putting the effort in, it must have been difficult doing it all in your free time.
I did at least get one Duke song in, so I'm happy! Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 11:17
Well done, good fun.
I wish Unquiet slumbers/ in that quiet earth had made it, my fav genesis instrumental. Oh wel.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 03:34
Ripples just squeezed in the top 20.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 04:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So you mean Ripples beat Entangled by .5 points?

Excellent poll....

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Great job, Jozef! That was simple, easy, and both fun and frustrating. (So many GREAT songs didn't make it!)
Thanks!
Thanks for kind words Smile I was hoping the formula will catch on as it has "game elements", like a lick of tactics and group dynamics Wink And it was Mad Man Moon that won with Entangled by 0.5 points. That was the penultimate poll. In the final one, Ripples had a commanding lead over Entangled. You can click the links to see more detailed results for each poll.

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'm surprised Carpet Crawlers wasn't in the final Top 20 too, although I didn't get a mention in the intro, so maybe I didn't contribute enough votes.
I simply couldn't name all the contributors, I believe it was 40+ people involved at some point - no harm intended Embarrassed When it comes to The Carpet Crawlers, we barely managed to get two Lamb songs on the list and both are very progressive stuff. Rockier tunes didn't make it (Riding the Scree, Back in NYC, It), and my favorite softies also missed the cut (Anyway, Hairless Heart).

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

TOP 4 is kinda predictable, but the latter half was shocking at times Tongue I think Can-Utility and the Coastliners is reasonably ranked now, personally I'd put it in #4-6 vicinity, maybe it has gotten more attention on the forums lately (Foxtrot popularity seems to be at an all-time high).

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Thanks a lot for putting the effort in, it must have been difficult doing it all in your free time.did at least get one Duke song in, so I'm happy! Wink
I knew you'll make it! Wink My prediction was #19 or so. It was a tall task - we're still missing some huge Gabriel-era classics, whole ATTW3 as well as blazing hot tracks from Trick. Any song between #16-20 could very well end up in late 20s in another poll.

Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

Well done, good fun.
I wish Unquiet slumbers/ in that quiet earth had made it, my fav genesis instrumental. Oh wel.
Gun to my head, it's my favorite part of Wind & Wuthering. My opinions on the rest are fluid, I'm still not sold on the "epics", but Slumbers/Earth duo always rocks my boat.

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 12:20
YES! I am so glad Ripples ended up making the list—it's my favorite song on that album, and I've been voting for it since #12. This is a very excellent list, very interesting, but very excellent. Some of the things that I wasn't expecting:

Eleventh Earl of Mar in 5th place was pretty surprising; certainly deserving of it, but surprising. I feel like Wind & Wuthering tends to get shafted to the lower ranks in favor of Gabriel's stuff plus A Trick of the Tail.

On a related note, I was surprised how much higher songs from W&W ranked compared to Trick of the Tail tracks—W&W holds spots #5, #12, and #13, while Trick of the Tail holds spots #16, #19, and #20. Once again, however, this does make sense based on the nature of both albums. It's much easier to define the three or four "best songs" on Wind & Wuthering, while A Trick of the Tail has one or two songs that tend to rate lower, but the "best songs" tend to be a matter of personal preference. This is reflected by the fact that every song off of A Trick of the Tail received at least one vote—the votes were too broadly spread across different songs to get any of them into the upper numbers, while Wind & Wuthering votes were heavily weighted towards "Eleventh Earl of Mar", followed by "One for the Vine" and "Blood on the Rooftops".

This is definitely a very well-rounded list, though; there are only a couple songs that I would swap off in favor of other tracks. Was happy to be a part of it :).

Do you think you'll do this again with a different band? Would you like to see the format catch on with other people doing it themselves with other bands?

Edited by tempest_77 - October 06 2020 at 12:23
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 14:25
Nice job on this thief! It was a lot of fun! Beer
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:15
Sad about "Entangled" not making it, but SO GLAD "Blood on the Rooftops," "Stagnation," and "The Lamia" did!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:16
that's an awesome list. Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 15:45
Yep great list indeed except for No 20.Wink

I would have loved something from ATTWT to have made the list , I did vote for Deep In The Motherlode at the back end , but no one else was interested. No great surprise I suppose although I will still maintain that album has at least half a dozen stellar Genesis tracks. I play it as much as anything else by Genesis but hey ho.

Thanks for putting the work in Thumbs Up
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 01:28
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

YES! I am so glad Ripples ended up making the list—it's my favorite song on that album, and I've been voting for it since #12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Yep great list indeed except for No 20.Wink
It proved to be a very divisive song. All in all, with that sort of following, it really deserved to be included :) 

On a related note, I was surprised how much higher songs from W&W ranked compared to Trick of the Tail tracks—W&W holds spots #5, #12, and #13, while Trick of the Tail holds spots #16, #19, and #20. Once again, however, this does make sense based on the nature of both albums. It's much easier to define the three or four "best songs" on Wind & Wuthering, while A Trick of the Tail has one or two songs that tend to rate lower, but the "best songs" tend to be a matter of personal preference. This is reflected by the fact that every song off of A Trick of the Tail received at least one vote—the votes were too broadly spread across different songs to get any of them into the upper numbers, while Wind & Wuthering votes were heavily weighted towards "Eleventh Earl of Mar", followed by "One for the Vine" and "Blood on the Rooftops".
I agree completely! ATOTT is very solid throughout, most songs are ~6 mins long and competetive, while W&W is kinda defined by Earl and Vine. Kinda.

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Sad about "Entangled" not making it, but SO GLAD "Blood on the Rooftops," "Stagnation," and "The Lamia" did!
I'm especially happy for The Lamia, still my favorite from Lamb, although I listened to it way too much, trying to imitate the solo and soak in the gothic, "cavern" feel... And Stagnation, well, it sits comfortably as my favorite Trespass track, wonder if it might change in the future.

I would have loved something from ATTWT to have made the list , I did vote for Deep In The Motherlode at the back end , but no one else was interested. No great surprise I suppose although I will still maintain that album has at least half a dozen stellar Genesis tracks. I play it as much as anything else by Genesis but hey ho.
The way I see it, ATTW3 is very solid from Down and Out to Deep in the Motherlode, 6 songs streak with no clear-cut winner. Maybe Burning Rope? It mirrors A Trick of the Tail situation but is less popular. I believe we'd see some votes in #20-30 range, but likely very spread out. When it comes to personal opinion, it's closer to W&W than ATOTT - the latter being borderline masterpiece Star

Do you think you'll do this again with a different band? Would you like to see the format catch on with other people doing it themselves with other bands?
I'd like to give it a rest for a while, but I don't rule out doing it again in the near future. It sits in the back of your head for weeks or months, it requires some regularity, but wrapping it up usually takes 20 mins a week, maybe twice a week, so it's like playing fantasy sports Cool

I'd need to think what band is suitable, we need a huge name so there is enough participants. I was pleased with 14-15 votes per thread, we usually hit that mark, but if there ever was less than 10 ballots, it'd probably die a natural death. So, if it takes GENESIS to have that number of votes, I'd never try it with a lesser band LOL
Jethro Tull and Yes are some of our favorite bands, but I'm not sure if suitable for TOP20 format (Yes would be boring we all know how it goes, JT has 80+ quality songs so it'd need fifty participants to get good numbers). Maybe Rush?

I wouldn't mind if someone did similar project with other prog band. Would definitely participate. Beer

Edited by thief - October 07 2020 at 01:30
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 01:35
I would love to do an ELP one but I think the participation would die very quickly. Tarkus is ELP's equivalent of Supper's Ready in terms of popularity so that would be obviously No 1 but after that would not be so clear. I'm also not sure whether Karn Evil 9 should be split into 3 tracks so that causes a bit of a headache. Another time maybe.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 09:47

I would love to do an ELP one but I think the participation would die very quickly. Tarkus is ELP's equivalent of Supper's Ready in terms of popularity so that would be obviously No 1 but after that would not be so clear. I'm also not sure whether Karn Evil 9 should be split into 3 tracks so that causes a bit of a headache. Another time maybe.

Roll with it!! I'm not the biggest ELP fan, I have several of their albums so would be interesting to see what songs I don't listen to that maybe I should......
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 10:31
I suggest that the next project of this kind, no matter who leads it, should be placed in Prog Polls subforum, for two reasons:
1. Complexity and effort put in this far exceeds the nature of "Top 10s and Lists" - they are usually short-lived threads not requiring much attention; Prog Polls have more of that imo
2. Attendance is better :)
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 09:22
This awesome list deserves a poll.

It could be a single choice poll or a multiple choice (max 3 choices).

If you think it would be a good idea, I could do it. Tongue

Philchem8 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philchem8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2022 at 16:22
Good list indeed. All great classic Genesis tracks. As has been mentioned, there are a few surprises though, particularly the absence of Carpet Crawlers, and the high positions of Eleventh Earl Mar and Can Utility and the Coastliners. In the more recent thread of top 10 post-Gabriel Genesis songs, the 11th Earl is only in 8th place, behind One for the Vine, Dance on a Volcano, Ripples, Los Endos, Blood on the Rooftops, Entangled and Mad Man Moon. I wonder if it's different people voting or a question of methodology.
Also interesting to compare with Prog Magazine's top 10 Genesis songs voted by 40,000 readers (top 3 are the same):
1. Supper's Ready
2. Firth of Fifth
3. The Cinema Show
4. The Musical Box
5. Carpet Crawlers
6. Dancing with the Moonlit Knight
7. Watcher of the Skies
8. In the Cage
9. Ripples
10. Dance on a Volcano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>