Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Eddie Van Halen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:22
^ oh yeah! Randy Rhoads didn't waste any time taking it to the next level. I've always considered him a hybrid of Ritchie Blackmore, Eddie Van Halen and Tommy Iommi. Rhoads is one of my fave all time guitarists! Stevie was cool too in a totally different way. At least Eddie lived past his prime.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:32
KZOK here in Seattle has been playing VH since about 1pm........I'm starting my tribute now that work is done.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:37
^ just listened to that one! Writing reviews for MMA since i'd only done the first album. Can't believe Ed is dead :o

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:45
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

what IS true is that his top dog status was dethroned in the 80s when guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Marty Friedman and many others who were much more creative pretty much made him seem tame in comparison. 

I challenge your "top dog" status. Wink

Malmsteen never was "more creative" than Halen. His songwriting was almost the copycat of Blackmore's. His only standout quality was his perfect (or almost perfect) technique and "perfecting" the style that we today call "neoclassical metal". I like Malmsteen but I don't agree with you.

The song I put here uses the "million dollar riff" of Halen, which Malmsteen cannot come close to, even in his Ferrari. Wink

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:48

^ just listened to that one! Writing reviews for MMA since i'd only done the first album. Can't believe Ed is dead :o
I'll go check it out when your done......I can believe it, smoking like a chimney will do it to ya. He has said it was more caused by him holding his picks in his mouth as they were made from metal and then all the studio time with all the electronic waves and gear.....Confused.
I have also read the cancer had also moved to his brain, the past 3 days he had gone downhill very fast....His current wife, Valerie, Wolfgang and Alex were at his hospital bed side.

All in all pretty sad.... 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:50
Van Halen is dead. Can we debate his accolades or lack thereof in another thread?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 17:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Van Halen is dead. Can we debate his accolades or lack thereof in another thread?

I fully understand your reaction and respect it. On the other hand, being "immortal" is something like this, I think, and lots of artists dedicate their lives to be immortal.

Perhaps it's a bit early and misplaced. You may be right. But I couldn't be silent about what was said. I was actually gonna share Apollo 440's song, to fortify my statement about Halen's exceeding the boundaries of the rock sphere. I just felt like I had to state my opinion about the Malmsteen and Halen comparison.

Sorry for that. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 18:02
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

what IS true is that his top dog status was dethroned in the 80s when guitarists like Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Marty Friedman and many others who were much more creative pretty much made him seem tame in comparison. 

I challenge your "top dog" status. Wink

Malmsteen never was "more creative" than Halen. His songwriting was almost the copycat of Blackmore's. His only standout quality was his perfect (or almost perfect) technique and "perfecting" the style that we today call "neoclassical metal". I like Malmsteen but I don't agree with you.

The song I put here uses the "million dollar riff" of Halen, which Malmsteen cannot come close to, even in his Ferrari. Wink

Agree with that regard for Malmsteen however he did perfect the shredding technique and surpassed VH. Randy Rhoads was much more innovative. I'm not really a Malmsteen fan although i respect him. Van Halen was more than Eddie, it was a real entertaining band and all the clashes of ego that went with it. I really wish Eddie would've done more shredding tunes like ERUPTION. He never really did anything like that ever again.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 18:03
No harm done. Lets just save it for another time, ok?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 18:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I posted this earlier in the RIP thread and also just saw it mentioned on the news(of course I knew they had to mention it). A really sad day for rock fans no matter what your favorite style is. He was so influential and important and above all talented. RIP Eddie. 

I love that so much. And this. I love this.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 20:24
thanking back over EVH this evening.. a little known fact.. he was indirectly responsible for the creation of one of the great early internet music sites.

anyone remember the RS 2003 guitarist list...  oh my god what a sh*t storm of disbelief that unleashed.. and led Lew to create the DDD site where to give a cyber FU to RS and have real, famous and not, musicians create good lists.

a very quick summary

68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen

Edited by micky - October 06 2020 at 20:25
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 20:36
^ i hate those f**king stupid lists! They make ZERO sense. I mean how long does it take to master an EVH song as opposed to Kurt friggin Cobain? Songwriter doesn't equate to guitarist. Blatblammit!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 20:41
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

[QUOTE=siLLy puPPy] ...mediocre crap.[QUOTE] Sorry bro, but I wish I could play some of his "mediocre crap."

LOL!!  I played bass in a band in the early 1980s that performed "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love," a fine song & great fun to play!!  

Yelling HEY HEY HEY! while playing was harder than you'd think!!  

The band Van Halen was classic California good-times and fun, they really did a lot for all popular music back then!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2020 at 20:43
The first concert I ever attended was The Monsters of Rock in 1988.  It was less than a month after I graduated high school and Van Halen were the headline act with Metallica, Scorpions, Dokken and Kingdom Come.  When I bought my first CD player the one of the two first CDs that I bought at the same time was Van Halen's OU812.  Man I loved that CD.  I never saw them with DLR, both times that I saw them live were with Sammy.  Such an awesome band and such great memories.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 00:32
My favorite guitar player of all time, at a loss for words. The reason I picked up guitar at 16 was to rock, many years before discovering the progressive version OF it.

Many whammy dives, pinch harmonics, and two-handed tapping runs today. RIP EVH 5150.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 00:53
What a sad news. I'm not a big fan of VH but love much their "cheap" video clip of Jump. Cry

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 00:58
RIP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 01:41

RIP, EddieCry

Only bought your first three albums, and I still only have the first one, but I'll be spinning it this w-e once it is within hand's reach.
Originally posted by DamoXt7942 DamoXt7942 wrote:

What a sad news. I'm not a big fan of VH but love much their "cheap" video clip of Jump. Cry

Isn't it somehow sad that for one of the most revered hard-rock guitarist like EVH, his most remembered and iconic moment is a crappy synth crappy-solo?? ConfusedOuchAngry

Wink

Edited by Sean Trane - October 07 2020 at 01:45
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 03:10
I still remember when my guitarist mate and I first heard "Eruption". Jaws dropped in a major way.

RIP EVH. As Mr Trane said, it's a shame that the clip they showed of Van Halen on GMB today was the keyboard intro to Jump. I know it's their biggest hit but don't talk about his guitar playing without showing some of it.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 03:18
Oh my oh my, I couldn't believe the news!!! The guy was still young-ish, seemingly in a good shape, touring, enjoying life, 65 is WAY TOO EARLY Confused Cancer is b*tch!

Eddie, Eddie Van Halen, he was always there, the guy who connected the dots between 70s Rock Riffing Gods and 80s Trailblazing Lightspeed Metal Extravaganza... dive bombs, pinched harmonics and SHRED had become the Alphabet of the new guitar era, it established a new standard for years to come, and influenced thousands upon thousand of young guitarists... To this day people learn intricacies of Floyd Rose with Eddie on their mind; they are still looking for that meaty, "brown", intoxicating sound, full of flanger, phaser and COOL!

But most importantly, to me, he was a symbol of his time, representing the Western youth, daring enough to push the envelope WHILE having fun in California sun, Sat morning, all weekend ahead...

He will be sorely missed and I'm very sad it happened this way, he deserved better!
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>