Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Eddie Van Halen!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 08:40
^ And from my knowledge he was a chill guy whom treated fans with respect. he was a virtouso with a ddrive and passion but not a snob -a gentle artist ehom kept hes humanity intact. Hes herritage and way of communicating the craft is best preserved and kept through one of hes "students"/influenced-by Paul Gilbert whom is truest to Van Halens style today.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 12:27
Twenty-two hours and this thread has already gone four pages. A fine, fine guitarist who wrote the book on flashy guitar solos. Unfortunately, Mr. Van Halen had prior health problems that probably contributed to his untimely demise. Not a Van Halen fan, but I recognize Mr. Van Halen's great worth to the rock community. He will undoubtedly be missed.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 12:48
Per a Billboard interview conducted in 2015, and Sammy Hagar's book Red, Ed was indeed a heavy user and boozer.

Ed himself said while they were out on tour, the other guys would hit the town while he preferred to stay in his hotel room to work on his music. That's the kind of guy he was. He did coke and vodka; the former to stay awake, the latter to stay loose. And he'd stay up into the wee hours, working on new musical ideas.

And Ed and Alex smoked a lot.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 13:09
3-eddie van halen childhood | Eddie van halen, Van halen, Halen

Eddie Van Halen on How He Created His Signature Sound Using MXRs Phase 90  and Flanger Pedals | Guitar World

Eddie Van Halen Dies at 65 - Our Culture

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 13:40
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 15:03
So gutted, saw VH support Sabbath on their first UK tour. Bought the first album on import. A few months later I saw them headline at the Rainbow. What a hard rock band. What a guitarist.
R.I.P. Eddie.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 15:24
There was a video on Facebook of his Saturday Night Live appearance from 40+ years ago.  He played guitar along with the house band.  I think that his wife-to-be Valerie Bertinelli was the host that night.  He was younger than I ever remember seeing him, so I assume that it was very early on in his career.

YouTube just has this picture and the sound, not the actual video.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 15:46
^I saw that when it aired! It was February '87 and Valerie was indeed the host.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 15:49
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

There was a video on Facebook of his Saturday Night Live appearance from 40+ years ago.  He played guitar along with the house band.  I think that his wife-to-be Valerie Bertinelli was the host that night.  He was younger than I ever remember seeing him, so I assume that it was very early on in his career.

YouTube just has this picture and the sound, not the actual video.

I can't embed it, but you can watch the clip in full here:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/musical-performance---eddie-van-halen/n9553
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 15:51

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 00:57
He had a quite a 'look' to go with his talent

btw I love the so called 'crappy' synth solo in Jump. I do wonder sometimes if this is a prog site LOL
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 09:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

He had a quite a 'look' to go with his talent

btw I love the so called 'crappy' synth solo in Jump. I do wonder sometimes if this is a prog site LOL
It stopped being a prog site in 1990....LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 11:50

btw I love the so called 'crappy' synth solo in Jump.

I've loved that crappy synth solo since...1984! LOL

I do wonder sometimes if this is a prog site LOL

When I saw who said it, I wasn't surprised. LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 12:21
Another fascinating thing about the band is that they'd record with one guitar, one bass, one drum-set, one vocal.   No rhythm overdubs: when Eddie would switch from rhythm to a solo in the studio, no second guitar track would be used.   This not only gave them a unique sound but it also meant their live sets were true to form and sounded like their records.   A rare thing in rock 'n roll.

BTW, Eddie would boil his guitar strings for 20 minutes in order to pre-stretch them and to add that 'rubbery', slinky sound he had.

Edited by Atavachron - October 08 2020 at 12:22
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 12:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

BTW, Eddie would boil his guitar strings for 20 minutes in order to pre-stretch them and to add that 'rubbery', slinky sound he had.

I could be mistaken, but I think he only did that early on when he was finding the right gauge. Boiling strings is usually done to clean the strings of buildup after many hours of playing. Billy Sheehan does it a lot.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 13:02
He would boil them (sometimes) to pre-stretch them.     Any guitarist will tell you new strings are extremely unstable and will extend & contract without warning, especially when one whams and bends as much as Eddie did.   He was a guitarist's guitarist, and had many tricks including "tweaking" the whammie-bar while using the Floyd Rose system he helped pioneer because the thing would throw guitars out of tune with no more than a light breeze.

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2020 at 22:50
Prog or not Eddie was one of the best if not the best guitarist I've ever heard ... RIP eddie dying the way you did is just sad. Cry
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 14:18
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 12:17
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Another fascinating thing about the band is that they'd record with one guitar, one bass, one drum-set, one vocal.   No rhythm overdubs: when Eddie would switch from rhythm to a solo in the studio, no second guitar track would be used.   This not only gave them a unique sound but it also meant their live sets were true to form and sounded like their records.   A rare thing in rock 'n roll.

that is an extrordinary information and very cool to know when one knows hove viable overdubbing even in the day of gluing tape was norm. Integrity in the recording booth, they did not havf to do it tha tway but they had the integrity to do it that way, and it sounds real and authentic doing so.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 12:39
^ Absolutely, they'd been making music that way since they formed.   And of course when Eddie & Alex were kids they had no choice but to play as a guitar/drums duo, creating the heart of the band's sound.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>