Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTriumph?! Are you kidding me?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 15:08

Triumph's Prog(-Related) "epic" "The Blinding Light Show" is now available on the Streaming Media Player on their band page:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=2023

Give it a listen and you will see why they have been included.....

..........."Just A Game" is available too as well as "Ordinary Man" these two tracks point to the opposite point of view,,,,

ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 19:08
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Triumph's Prog(-Related) "epic" "The Blinding Light Show" is now available on the Streaming Media Player on their band page:

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=2023

Give it a listen and you will see why they have been included.....

..........."Just A Game" is available too as well as "Ordinary Man" these two tracks point to the opposite point of view,,,,

Tony, ever the diplomat, and I respect that.  I listened to "The Blinding Light Show", and it does indeed showcase some of the better traits of Triumph's music, namely the excellent guitar work and solid drums.  But this was one track off their first album more than thirty years ago, and they have done so much since then to cancel its effects.

And honestly, that song is not "why they have been included".  In fact, I believe your earlier explanations included -

"I do believe the inclusion of Triumph as Art Rock was very silly,though.I'm not even sure they should have been added as prog-related,they're more Van Halen than Rush.There appears to be nothing I can do about this now,but hopefully this is a blip."

and

"There was a short period of time,which ended about 3 months ago,when Max allowed anyone to add bands to the Archive.Triumph was,thankfully,probably the worst abuse of that system which has now been changed."

So, unless convinced otherwise, I will continue my (admittedly passive) attempts to have them removed.

All in good humor though. 

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 04:35

What British fans must realize is that they only ever got a compliation of tracks from the first two albums with the second album's artwork.

If you get thereal almbums , you will find that the three part THE CITY is lyrically and musicaly superb also.

But let's face it , two lenghty prog induced tracks are not enough for a group to be prog

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 06:21

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Triumph......the BS just doesn't stop piling up.

This proto prog/prog related classification is a load of crap.Almost any band could be added under prog related.I think it is watering down the best prog rock resource on the net,and don't really like it.

Whoa, dude, you don't have to sugar-coat it. Just tell us what you really think...

And I was holding back........

Ok,Ok..........

so tell me:

how do we undo 25 years of damage where Prog Rock was pushed to the wastelends and isolated from public perception by the Media?

Do you believe that Prog Rock's heritage will just endure without any tinkering?
Prog-Related is just an advertising tool-a way of drawing "potential" Prog Rock fans who have not been exposed to our genre.Serously,you dont think that someone who lands on our front page and sees reviews for Rush and Yes is going to know that certain other bands he likes could be a stepping-stone to liking these bands?

If sopmeone's searching for Triumph on a search engine and is lead to their page on Prog Archives and is told;"If you like Triumph you might also like to try Rush and Dream Theater" then surely we have achieved something!

If a miracle happened and Yes apppeared on the front cover of Rolling Stone,we would be punching the air in delight,surely.We wouldnt accuse Yes (or Prog Rock) of selling out-we would consider the implications.

This is true. When I first ended up on this site, I did a search for Zeppelin, and didn't find them. "What bullsh*t" I thought and clicked the little x.
My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
surfdaddy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 10:56
Add: Twisted Sister, Scorpions, and Poison while youre at it.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2006 at 13:23

Originally posted by surfdaddy surfdaddy wrote:

Add: Twisted Sister, Scorpions, and Poison while youre at it.

and delete all references to surfing....?

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2006 at 18:39
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Tony, ever the diplomat, and I respect that. 

Man have the times changed.

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 02:23

Triumph's not prog, just a great hard rock trio. Everything they did up through Thunder Seven is good...IF you're into hard rock. Otherwise, don't worry about 'em.

freebird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 08:27

Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

I suppose the fact that they pretty much sound exactly like Rush was enough to get them a nod under prog related.  I wouldn't have supported it either had it been my decision, but oh well.

Retrovertigo added them as Art Rock,someone changed them to Prog-Related.()

So,they only qualify as prog-related.They arent Prog and we arent saying they are.Prog-related why not? If it draws non-prog initiates to the forum it's a good thing isnt it?

Triumph to Dream Theater to Porcupine Tree to Pink Floyd. Three simple steps and another Classic Prog Band gets new fans.....  

UI,apart from the odd very early track-Blinding Light Show-musically they are nothing like Rush.

Triumph does seem a little bit of a stretch....  I would think B.O.C. would be a better addition to Prog related.  
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 08:29
Originally posted by freebird freebird wrote:

I suppose the fact that they pretty much sound exactly like Rush was enough to get them a nod under prog related.  I wouldn't have supported it either had it been my decision, but oh well.

So,they only qualify as prog-related.They arent Prog and we arent saying they are.Prog-related why not? If it draws non-prog initiates to the forum it's a good thing isnt it?

Triumph to Dream Theater to Porcupine Tree to Pink Floyd. Three simple steps and another Classic Prog Band gets new fans.....  

UI,apart from the odd very early track-Blinding Light Show-musically they are nothing like Rush.

Triumph does seem a little bit of a stretch....  I would think B.O.C. would be a better addition to Prog related.  

Let's just say that they slipped in under the net...

Edited by Tony R
freebird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2006 at 08:54

Let's just say that they slipped in under the net...

Oh well, it doesn't bother me as much as it does some other people. Like you said, maybe they will move up to Pink Floyd! Be inclusive! (as long as we don't get the jackson 5 or Brittany) LOL
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 01:08

I would think B.O.C. would be a better addition to Prog related.

BOC made some great music before they burned out creatively. Almost anything they did in the '70s, plus Cultosaurus Erectus and Fire Of Unknown Origin  is good-to-great. And some of it's proggy!
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 10:41
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I would think B.O.C. would be a better addition to Prog related.

BOC made some great music before they burned out creatively. Almost anything they did in the '70s, plus Cultosaurus Erectus and Fire Of Unknown Origin  is good-to-great. And some of it's proggy!

Unfortunately, B.O.C. were rejected after a two-week poll in the Collaborators' section. I love the band (though I'd be the first to admit that by the early Eighties they had already burned out) and I think they would deserve to be in PA much more than Triumph. But that's democracy for you...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234