Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - In The Court of The Crimson King is 51 Today!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In The Court of The Crimson King is 51 Today!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In The Court of The Crimson King is 51 Today!!!
    Posted: October 10 2020 at 04:44
The one that started it all on October 10, 1969 celebrates it's 51st birthday today!

Let us rejoice and geek out over this exemplary start to the classic era of progressive rock!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 05:52
Do we have to? Again? 3 star album for me.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - October 10 2020 at 05:53
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 06:01
I'd say this particular album is worth celebrating.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 11:09
Hi,

And I still love to listen to this album! ALL OF IT!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:12
In the Court of the Crimson King, I was just a Moonchild of ten back in 1969, but I fear now that I may be a 21st Century Schizoid Man because I Talk to the Wind, but I hope that won't be my Epitaph.  Smile
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:37
I do like this album, but I agree with Grumpy Prog Fan, it's not up to their other stuff.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:48
It is also the 20th anniversary of the best album ever:

unnamed
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 13:53
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

unnamed

LOL
not dissing the band...just found the post...funny.

Edited by dr wu23 - October 10 2020 at 13:55
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 14:07
LOLLOL
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

unnamed

LOL

"YOUR" GONNA ACCEPT THAT THIS IS SUPERIOR!!1!1!!!1!!1!! Angry
SCHOPENHAUER CANNOT BE WRONG. HE IS A "GENIOUS"!!!1!!!!1!1!
NOW VIOLENTLY OPPOSE!!!
THIS IS HOW "ITS" SUPPOSED TO BE, FOR SOME REASON!!!!!!1!1!!!1!!!!!

LOLLOLLOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 14:22

LOLLOL

unnamed

LOL

"YOUR" GONNA ACCEPT THAT THIS IS SUPERIOR!!1!1!!!1!!1!! Angry
SCHOPENHAUER CANNOT BE WRONG. HE IS A "GENIOUS"!!!1!!!!1!1!
NOW VIOLENTLY OPPOSE!!!
THIS IS HOW "ITS" SUPPOSED TO BE, FOR SOME REASON!!!!!!1!1!!!1!!!!!

LOLLOLLOL
I have never heard the lp....perhaps I should give it a go...btw while that quote is often attributed to Schopenhauer it is not found in his actual writings in that manner...it is also attributed to William James, the great Psychologist,  and others as well. Smile
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 14:25
^ Ah, I heard it for the first time. Thanks for the information. BTW, you can try their song Communion and the Oracle from this album. It is generally the favourite of prog rock listeners. Well, I'm also a prog rock listener, but you got what I meant. Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 03:39
Yep Fripp invented prog rock before anyone else though of it LOL

It's a nice album but has aged really badly imo. Even Wake was a massive jump forward sonically and that wasn't particularly great either. It was certainly an artistic achievement that raised the bar as to what an album could be. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 03:53

unnamed

One of my favorites.

LOL at this board being too cool to casually celebrate a very important recording, regardless of how it's held up, what came after, etc.

People obsessed about the same album in precisely the opposite manner when I started visiting here; you couldn't say a negative thing about it without getting spammed to hell.

By all means, please keep with the polls and top 10 lists guys, that's infinitely more engaging and related to prog history, lmao.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 06:09
Great album cover. Brings back memories of times when friends would hang out and actually listen to the entire album and then discuss if we liked it or not. The LP 's that opened up were good for deseeding weed. The opening track is fierce and does not sound dated. The title track is nice. The audio sounds good.

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 11:55
An effing great album....not 'dated' at all imho..it was 1969 in case people have forgotten. 
Compared to most of what was around then it was far more interesting...and entertaining.
Is it 'the album that started it all'...is it 'the beginning of prog rock'...? I have no idea ,but one could make a case for it without trying too hard.

BTW...the more important anniversary was last year...the 50th ...just pointing that out.
https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_itcotck-50th-anniversary_3cd_blu-ray
Wink 

Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 05:38

An effing great album....not 'dated' at all imho..it was 1969 in case people have forgotten. 
Compared to most of what was around then it was far more interesting...and entertaining.
Is it 'the album that started it all'...is it 'the beginning of prog rock'...? I have no idea ,but one could make a case for it without trying too hard.

BTW...the more important anniversary was last year...the 50th ...just pointing that out.
https://burningshed.com/king-crimson_itcotck-50th-anniversary_3cd_blu-ray
Wink 

I would agree that the music is not dated, being my all-time favorite prog album. But the album's strange reverb-less production does not age well. Oh, well.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Adaon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adaon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 05:51

BTW, you can try their song Communion and the Oracle from this album. It is generally the favourite of prog rock listeners. 

That one and Egypt are especially excellent.  

And happy birthday to Crimson King.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 05:58
^ hee hee. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 08:05
Not the first prog album in my opinion but the one that put prog on the map and made people aware of something beyond just rock n roll. In some respects it's the most important prog album. However, it's not my favorite by them. That would be LTIA.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 09:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Not the first prog album in my opinion but the one that put prog on the map and made people aware of something beyond just rock n roll. In some respects it's the most important prog album. However, it's not my favorite by them. That would be LTIA.
This post exactly!!! Clap
One day you'll persuade me that Rush were successful! LOLWink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>