Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern/New Prog Poll 3: New Neo Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What, out of these, is the best new neo prog album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [19.23%]
7 [26.92%]
2 [7.69%]
4 [15.38%]
1 [3.85%]
3 [11.54%]
2 [7.69%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern/New Prog Poll 3: New Neo Prog
    Posted: October 10 2020 at 05:27
In case you haven't noticed, I've taken a (very) short break from things here, but I'm back. 
Interestingly, these albums from off the top of my head all seem to be the "ending" album for these bands - especially Arena, Galleon and Legend. Ever since (in my opinion) IQ's 1997 album Subterranea neo prog has been coming back, and in the 2000s it reached it's peak in the "third wave" with bands mentioned in this poll such as Frost*, Arena, Sylvan etc. But now we've hit the 2010s all these bands seem to be calling it a day.
But actually, it seems they've sparked another group of neo bands (or ensembles?). Sanguine Hum, Modern Rock Ensemble and the Psychedelic Ensemble have only just begun and they've already made themselves as popular as, say, Arena was. Pendragon and IQ have also returned from the dead and have made their best ever albums in this very decade. So new neo prog bands are not perhaps quite as scarce as I thought!
I'm going with the top option (as I did with the last two polls of mine). Now We Have Light! Tongue
As Frenetic Zetetic would say: You know the drill, go! Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 05:48
Glad to see you back. Lot of good albums. I will vote for Sanguine Hum with TPE close behind.

I also think Sanguine Hum should be classified as Canterbury. They were know as Antique Seeking Nuns before changing their name and were classified as Canterbury. Their music did not change but PA gave them a neo-prog classification. Make sense???
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Glad to see you back. Lot of good albums. I will vote for Sanguine Hum with TPE close behind.

I also think Sanguine Hum should be classified as Canterbury. They were know as Antique Seeking Nuns before changing their name and were classified as Canterbury. Their music did not change but PA gave them a neo-prog classification. Make sense???
I've seen them described as post progressive before, and it sound more like post prog to me than neo - and more like Canterbury than neo. I think post prog might be being bundled into neo prog as they were at about the same time (early-mid 80s).
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 07:03
^I do not hear anywhere near the Canterbury sounds and stylings in Sanguine Hum as I did in Antique Seeking Nuns. In no way would not categorize them as a Canterbury band. As to Homunculus Res however . . .

Voted Sylvan though it could have gone to either The Psychedelic Ensemble and Modern-Rock Ensemble as well. All of these seem less straight-up Neo Prog than say, IQ, Pendragon, or Pallas, but, here we are.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 07:11
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

I've seen them described as post progressive before, and it sound more like post prog to me than neo - and more like Canterbury than neo. I think post prog might be being bundled into neo prog as they were at about the same time (early-mid 80s).

Why do you come with your own genre names or taking them from God knows where? PA subgenres not good enough for you?  It's like you want me to turn into a jerk.

So wTF is new neo prog?
Post-progressive? Really? Dead

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 07:27
^Did you vote? Or just complain?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 07:29

^Did you vote? Or just complain?

I'll vote when I am being explained what new-neo-prog is, and post progressive.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 07:30
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

^I do not hear anywhere near the Canterbury sounds and stylings in Sanguine Hum as I did in Antique Seeking Nuns. In no way would not categorize them as a Canterbury band.
The Yellow Ship, single, from their forthcoming album has a very definative Canterbury sound to my ears.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 07:45
I don't know any of these albums, but I like the sound of The Psychedelic Ensemble, if the name is anything to go by. Smile
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 07:51
Voted Night Dreams and Wishes.  If you haven't heard it yet, it's amazing.  It seems to me that it is a little more "extra" than your typical Neo.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 08:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Why do you come with your own genre names or taking them from God knows where? PA subgenres not good enough for you?  It's like you want me to turn into a jerk.

So wTF is new neo prog?

I stayed out of that little argument on Psycho Paul's thread, but that post has really got on my nerves. I haven't "come with my own genre names". Definition of post progressive. Don't complain it's a Wikipedia article and unreliable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-progressive
As for new neo prog, I am aware it's not a genre, and I never said it was. I just meant neo prog that is new. Love over Fear, Pendragon's new album, is new neo prog. Perhaps modern neo prog might suit you better. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 08:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I don't know any of these albums, but I like the sound of The Psychedelic Ensemble, if the name is anything to go by. Smile
You might like TPE. From the album in the poll:
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 08:48

So wTF is new neo prog?

I stayed out of that little argument on Psycho Paul's thread, but that post has really got on my nerves. I haven't "come with my own genre names". Definition of post progressive. Don't complain it's a Wikipedia article and unreliable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-progressive
As for new neo prog, I am aware it's not a genre, and I never said it was. I just meant neo prog that is new. Love over Fear, Pendragon's new album, is new neo prog. Perhaps modern neo prog might suit you better. 

Since we both got on each other's nerves, let me ask you again.
Are the progarchives subgenres not good enough for you? 
But wikipedia seems to be prefect. Good for you. 

Just say neo-prog, it's good enough, new neo-prog, modern neo-prog makes things complicated... 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 09:14
Sylvan - Home (2015) is my choice here. 
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:25
Galleon
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:38

Just say neo-prog, it's good enough, new neo-prog, modern neo-prog makes things complicated... 

"New neo-prog" would make sense for the albums of 2018, 2019, and 2020. But if one includes albums from the year 2013, "modern" is better. It still is not perfect as modern can mean different things to different people (you know, the year 2000 can also be counted as modern), yet it seems proper for me in this case.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:46
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

"New neo-prog" would make sense for the albums of 2018, 2019, and 2020. But if one includes albums from the year 2013, "modern" is better. It still is not perfect as modern can mean different things to different people (you know, the year 2000 can also be counted as modern), yet it seems proper for me in this case.

Yes, I suppose I was stretching it a bit when adding a 2010 album and calling it new.
By the way, Cristi, if you want to scathingly criticise someone for wrongful definition of neo, don't scathingly criticise me. I agree with you, Psycho Paul's definition of neo is not quite right.
PS. I love calling him Psycho Paul.

Edited by FatherChristmas - October 10 2020 at 12:47
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:48
Many good albums, but nothing really outstanding. My vote for Legend.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 12:53

Psycho Paul's definition of neo is not quite right.

Deli means crazy, mad in Turkish. PsycheDELİc Paul has some craziness inside, from a Turkish standpoint. LOL

Edited by Shadowyzard - October 10 2020 at 12:54
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 13:25
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Psycho Paul's definition of neo is not quite right.

Deli means crazy, mad in Turkish. PsycheDELİc Paul has some craziness inside, from a Turkish standpoint. LOL
I could get used to being called Psycho Paul. Tongue Meanwhile, it's time to delve into my psychedelicatessen of tasty musical delights.

By the way, I enjoyed The Queen of Sorrow video by The Psychedelic Ensemble. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 10 2020 at 13:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>