Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dream progarchives features

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: If you could only choose one....
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [28.00%]
11 [44.00%]
7 [28.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream progarchives features
    Posted: October 10 2020 at 20:10
Here's two features that I think would be massive improvements to the database, obviously we'll probably never see either, but stranger things have happened Smile

Edited by dougmcauliffe - October 10 2020 at 20:12
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 20:46
Both would be good, and many have called for, but the second is the one I care most about. I so wish we could label albums, and multi label them a la rateyourmusic and that we could easily do searches of albums using multiple genre tags from a drop down menu (click any and all that apply).

Edited by Logan - October 10 2020 at 20:50
Just a fanboy passin' through.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 20:54
Both sound good to me and i could add a whole list of other suggestions but i've already done so in other threads and it seems pointless now.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 23:45
Neither, they make so much sense should have been done eons ago............Lost cause now.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 01:16
Good suggestions, but I'd say being able to assign half a stat at this point would be really nice!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 10:32
Hi,

I can not say anything of value about this ... I would prefer that an "artist" was an "artist" but these days in most COMMERCIAL music, and specially the progressive/prog side of things, I am now not considering many of these "artists" anymore, because the format is the same and the music has the same drummer and the solo for the guitar is in the same place ... etc, etc, etc, ... all the elements that got us away from "pop" music and into Progressive many years ago.

We might have to just do albums and not consider any band/person progressive, since one album is and the next one is not! Something like that ... but I would have a hard time voting, and thinking alternatives to this detail ... not to mention that the fixing of this will take the rest of our lifetimes, I bet!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 10:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Both would be good, and many have called for, but the second is the one I care most about. I so wish we could label albums, and multi label them a la rateyourmusic and that we could easily do searches of albums using multiple genre tags from a drop down menu (click any and all that apply).
I agree. I think that SEBTP is definitely symph prog, for example, but I think Duke is better classified as crossover prog.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 11:45
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I agree. I think that SEBTP is definitely symph prog, for example, but I think Duke is better classified as crossover prog.

Agree. To add, though, not only do I not think labelling a band under one genre often to be sufficient, but also not on the album level. Ideally we would have multi-labels for albums. In that case, Symphonic Prog and Crossover are sufficient descriptors. At rateyourmusic, Selling England by the Pound is labeled as the genres "Progressive Rock, Symphonic Prog" with the added descriptors "epic, satirical, medieval, melodic, complex, philosophical, progressive, uncommon time signatures, technical, male vocals, pastoral, political, concept album, playful, spring, mythology, warm, poetic, passionate, quirky."

There the "Progressive Rock" label itself becomes more important, although considering how many albums in PA are not Prog, especially due to complete discography policies, I would like that as an album label too. At rateyourmusic, Duke is described as "Progressive Pop, Pop Rock" as the main highlighted genres followed by "Progressive Rock, Art Pop, Symphonic Prog." Crossover Prog by our standards, and as descriptors "lonely, breakup, male vocals, concept album, passionate, atmospheric, rock opera." From Genesis to Revelation is described as "Pop Rock, Baroque Pop as the main ones followed by Acoustic Rock, Progressive Pop, Baroque Pop"..

If we had the ability to label albums by multiple genres, then we wouldn't need Crossover Prog or Eclectic Prog as genres. With Crossover Prog we would have the pop label, and with Eclectic Prog we would have any relevant labels to take it's place, such as, "Krautrock, Jazz-Rock, Psychedelic".

I hardly every use our database to discover albums because I can't easily search albums by genres let alone by multiple-genres, and because I'm interested in far more than Prog and find a more general database to be more useful.

Anyway, changing it now would not only be a huge amount of work (I think it would have to be open to all members helping out), but the architecture of the site would need to change. It would entail a large amount of expense. Improvements were made when the owner started up Metal Music Archives and Jazz Music Archives. This is an old site that went online back in 2002. Still, one can dream.

Even if we could change it, I'd still quite like to keep the categories we have as master band labels. At rateyourmusic the Genesis band itself is labelled by the genres "Progressive Rock, Pop Rock, Progressive Pop, Rock Opera, Symphonic Prog, Adult Contemporary".

For me this site's draw is the forum since I have been a here along time, not the database. If it weren't for the community here, I might have migrated to reddit. Variety is the spice of life, and even at the forum here I tend to favour the non-music discussions.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 11:59
The forum software used here is six years old. Look at all the bug fixes over the last six years: https://www.webwiz.net/web-wiz-forums/kb/release-notes.htm

New features for the database are just that: a dream.

I'm sorry my comment is so negative.

Edited by progaardvark - October 12 2020 at 12:01
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 13:09
I vote "Neither" - I like ProgArchives just the way it is now and I wouldn't want to see anything changed. There's an old saying in Texas, it could be in Tennessee:- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 12 2020 at 15:05
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 14:53
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I vote "Neither" - I like ProgArchives just the way it is now and I wouldn't want to say anything changed. There's an old saying in Texas, it could be in Tennessee:- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Smile

Hi,

But geeks are different ... if it ain't broke ... DUMP IT ... and replace it with a cheaper idea/product!

Confused

However, I think the amount of data is way too large to be able to get some things done to improve it ... but I wonder where the "genius folks" are that can't figure out how to change something in a database and then fix it ... methinks that the problem is not the fixing, but the engine it is on ... that is not flexible enough to allow for the fixing! And the boss ain't talking about it!

Edited by moshkito - October 13 2020 at 08:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:06
The fact that there are no half star ratings on PA is one of my greatest frustrations in life.
All is but God in God to God revealed;
and so all is, for naught but God is real.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:13
I'm not really interested in genres. There are enough arguments on here about whether a band is neo-prog, symph prog, prog-metal or whatever so I dread to think how may arguments there would be if we had to decide on individual albums.

I'm with progaardvark - the forum software needs upgrading.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:23
Symbolic by Death in the top 100 Wink
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:24
I guess there is a logic to applying genres at the album level rather than artist. Many artists span sub genres. Hardly a 'dream feature' though.

No need for half star rating.

An actual worthwhile feature (enhancement or bug fix - if it is a bug) would be to enable users to add URL links without having to go back into their post via the edit function and add the link again. On three different browsers, over the years, I've found that when I post a link from say YouTube, although I copy & paste the correct URL, it just links back to the forum and not the desired clip. It does this around 80% of the time. I then have to edit and enter the link again. I did bring this up about 8 years ago, and was told not to moan, but I've never known any other forum where you have to do that. Seems like basic stuff to me.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:28
^ I agree that there's no need for half stars. Don't break the stars!!! Star

Seriously though, there's no "need" for that. It would go further to rate out of 100. You know? If you get nuanced, half stars will not be enough either.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:31
Well, I certainly wouldn't mind half stars, often times 4 star albums and 5 star albums can be pretty far apart for me and a half star feature would certainly help but at this point, that ship has probably sailed.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:44
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm not really interested in genres. There are enough arguments on here about whether a band is neo-prog, symph prog, prog-metal or whatever so I dread to think how may arguments there would be if we had to decide on individual albums.

I thought the same thing too. I like it just the way it is now with genres assigned to artists instead of albums. It's hard enough to decide which genre an artist belongs in without complicating things unnecessarily by assigning genres to each individual album. I also like the current five-star grading system too. Smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:54
As an innovation manager/solutions engineer these are the kinds of 'opportunities' I love to come across.
So, here's my pipe dream fix for this issue.
An algorithm that allows each member a single vote on each album to sub-classify it by genre. Much like the album rating system the votes of the many will average out over time. This would only affect a 'Sub-genre' search engine specific to that metadata which would yield the 'number of votes for the highest/total votes cast' as in indicator of relevance.

Any IT guys out there got any free time on their hands?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SolNiger View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SolNiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2021 at 06:57
To me there's a whole world of difference between, say, a 4 star album and a 4.5 star one.
All is but God in God to God revealed;
and so all is, for naught but God is real.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>