Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Have you ever had a prog dream?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 09:17
Are we all finally running out of sensible topics ? 

Or did that all happen years ago ?

Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 15:30
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

It is natural. I remember when I first saw a bottle of Jagermeister I thought my life would be not enough to enjoy the taste of all the existing bitters. Nowadays, don't get me wrong, I'm not an alcoholic - but I drank enough bitters including Jagermeister to simply hate them and their usual taste. I prefer Triple Sec these days. Perhaps, this love will perish one day, as well. 

The number of possible topics for such a forum is certainly limited. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 16:10
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I've long had prog dreams involving many scenarios.  

I'm a correspondent with Mr. Robert Fripp & his sister Patricia, which has led to a number of rather wild dreams, often involving playing onstage with Bob.  (I'm the former bassist to one of his first Guitar Craft students, Alonzo Jones, in his amazing band "CAVU").  

I also know John Goodsall of Brand X, even bought him a laptop once when his computer fried out.  Another friend is Ray Bennett and Colin Carter of the band "Flash."  

The first prog-related dream I can remember was when I was a lad in high school, perhaps 1971.  I dreamt about Jimmy Page playing onstage with a natural finished Telecaster.  As he was most often shown with a sunburst Les Paul, I thought it was an odd dream....eventually, I learned that the early Led Zep material in fact was recorded with a Telecaster.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 16:20
I enjoyed this light hearted thread and got a kick out of many of the responses. Never having dreams related to music myself, I'm surprised that they were even possible. I feel a bit sad at never having the experience.

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2020 at 04:03
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 16:20
So, thank God for LSD.

Edited by SteveG - October 16 2020 at 16:22
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 15:26
Last night I had a nice dream about Chick Corea in concert, and Stanley Clarke showed up!  Tall, lanky, handsome cat!  Absolutely no reason to have this dream, I haven't listened to either in months. 

Here, have some! 

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 09:47
Not a dream, but read somewhere that Gabriel supposedly hallucinated the part in Supper's Ready about "Six saintly shrouded men move across the lawn slowly. The seventh walks in front with a cross held high in hand." I've had dreams of a similar nature where mysterious figures lurk somewhere out on the periphery.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 10:43
From a dream journal:  

11 October 2011

Funny dream about David Cousins...He was encamped on a lawn that was raised up from street level, about waist-height, with a retaining wall below it.  He was homeless (gee, where did homeless come from?) and was busking to raise money to get back home.  He was wearing weathered boots and had scrapbooks/photo albums strewn all around him.  Rick Wakeman was there as well and he and I were looking through the albums...they had that old library musty scent to them. 

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

From a dream journal:  

11 October 2011

Funny dream about David Cousins...He was encamped on a lawn that was raised up from street level, about waist-height, with a retaining wall below it.  He was homeless (gee, where did homeless come from?) and was busking to raise money to get back home.  He was wearing weathered boots and had scrapbooks/photo albums strewn all around him.  Rick Wakeman was there as well and he and I were looking through the albums...they had that old library musty scent to them. 

Thanks for sharing!  For some odd reason, I've been humming the Strawbs song "Round and Round" all morning!  I didn't dream about Cousins, but why I suddenly fixated on this song escapes me! 

Prog-related dream - last night, I dreamt I was selected to go on a rocket trip to the Moon, on an Elon Musk rocket.  My only dilemma was trying to figure out which guitar I wanted to take!!  The Les Paul was too heavy, I settled on my Guild S-100. 

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2020 at 13:57
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

From a dream journal:  

11 October 2011

Thanks for sharing!  For some odd reason, I've been humming the Strawbs song "Round and Round" all morning!  I didn't dream about Cousins, but why I suddenly fixated on this song escapes me! 

Prog-related dream - last night, I dreamt I was selected to go on a rocket trip to the Moon, on an Elon Musk rocket.  My only dilemma was trying to figure out which guitar I wanted to take!!  The Les Paul was too heavy, I settled on my Guild S-100. 

Nice collection!  That would be a hard decision, but the Les Paul would weigh less on the moon, lol!  But so would you, so perhaps it would still feel equivalent (I'll leave that to scientists amongst us to let us know....you might know, judging from your post elsewhere).  It does seem like we are lately, especially, just going round in circles.  The thing most about my dream was the scent factor, some people never dream with scent, but I've had several that were particularly memorable.  And being excited to just catch DC busking, it was a good listen.  :)
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 03:46
Never. My dreams usually involve obscure events from daily life repeating themselves in a distorted and surreal manner, involving people I haven't seen in years (or people I've never seen at all) and plot twists that could only happen in dreams.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 04:56
Haha. Today I had a dream in which Limmy (Limmy's Show) got really angry in one of his sketches and started singing... Dirge by Welcome... with the Scottish accent and everything.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 08:12
I dream of a Camel Productions era 1991-2003 vinyl boxset..... ahhhh thats the stuff Big smile

An actual dream though? Probably at some point
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2020 at 09:47
I had a prog wet dream once. It has to do with ejaculating in bizarre time signatures.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2020 at 14:26
Last night, I dreamt that I was talking to the remains of Yes and imploring Howe to re-record "The Ancient" from TFTO in order to include percussion parts played by a huge collection of Yes fans. 

Needless to say, Howe was dubious.  

I actually participated in this type of performance once, when the Tulsa Artist Coalition gave their annual New Music concert....they passed out sets of wooden laundry clips to the audience, and we clicked them together to emulate the sound of crickets.  It was good fun!  

Imagine "The Ancient" with hundreds, nay, thousands more percussion parts!!  MORE COWBELL!  
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2020 at 15:10
I just had a Prog Related dream. I was running the boards for Deep Purple, from the back of the stage. When the time came for a keyboard solo I was supposed to start a prerecorded cassette so John Lord could just mime it. I hit play, and the tape wasn’t cued up right, so it was just some piano tinkling and people talking. I hit fast forward and it was just audience sounds and clapping and laughter. Crap! I screwed that up! So I announced “That’s all I got, unless John wants to play something.” I looked over and it wasn’t John Lord at the keys it was someone I’ve never seen before. Then it dawned on me it’s not John Lord because he’s dead! This is getting worse and worse! Maybe I’ll be really lucky and this guy’s name happens to be John too. It was, but he didn’t know how to play keyboards so he just looked confused. Then I mercifully woke up.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2020 at 00:11
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I just had a Prog Related dream. I was running the boards for Deep Purple, from the back of the stage. When the time came for a keyboard solo I was supposed to start a prerecorded cassette so John Lord could just mime it. I hit play, and the tape wasn’t cued up right, so it was just some piano tinkling and people talking. I hit fast forward and it was just audience sounds and clapping and laughter. Crap! I screwed that up! So I announced “That’s all I got, unless John wants to play something.” I looked over and it wasn’t John Lord at the keys it was someone I’ve never seen before. Then it dawned on me it’s not John Lord because he’s dead! This is getting worse and worse! Maybe I’ll be really lucky and this guy’s name happens to be John too. It was, but he didn’t know how to play keyboards so he just looked confused. Then I mercifully woke up.

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!  Great addition!!  

Your dream is very similar to the real-life experience of Mike Pinder with Moody Blues:

In an interview on the DVD The Moody Blues John identifies the Filmore
East as the venue where all the tapes fell out of the mellotron during a
show, and the audience watched Bugs Bunny cartoons while Mike Pinder
re-assembled it.  There were back-to-back shows at the Filmore on October
25 & 26 in 1968, which was the MK II Modies first US tour. I have found no
clarification as to which night it was of the two. As to how long it took
him to repair it, I have no clue, but if it was multiple Bugs Bunny
cartoons, 20 minutes sounds about right.

Edited by cstack3 - November 24 2020 at 00:13
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 12:38
I had an excellent Rick Wakeman dream last night!!  He was giving a lecture of some sort to a smallish group of folks, and he teamed up with famed magician David Copperfield so that he began his lecture by rising up out of the floor!!  It was great!   He was in cape & everthing!  

My prog dreams are definitely related to how much time I spend on this site!!  Happy 2021 to all!!  
Rrattlesnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rrattlesnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2021 at 11:39
I had a dream that Deerhoof released a third album in 2020, I even drew the cover:
There was a concert to promote it, although all I can remember was that most of it comprised of songs from La Isla Bonita
ssmarcus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssmarcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 04:59
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I was just fast asleep, and dreamt that I was with a large group of guitar collectors (I am one myself).  I was asked to play a song, so I borrowed someone's electric and amp, found a microphone and this is what I played.   
It was a lovely little dream and I wanted to share!  

I just had dream where an album I ranked very highly with only a few reviews to its name was trashed with a 2 and 1 star reviews shortly after my post. I just had this dream either last night or the night before. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>