Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Anderson - Go Screw Yourself video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 10:59
I did! I don't think this song is going to hit the top of the charts based on those comments! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:03
Positively surprised by this song, not only because of the lyrics, but also because of the music. Would be nice indeed if it could become a Christmas hit, but that would be a bit late for the elections in the USA.
I suppose the video was made recently, but JA's anger regarding politicians should not be a surprise (think of The Gates of Delerium e.g.), although he is a bit (a lot) more explicit here. Haven't we all been deceived, since decades, by politicians that ought to represent us, but prefer to represent stake holders and their own interests?

Anyway, nice song, but I don't think it will change the world.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

As a AFlowerKingCrimson said he's making up for Johnny Rotten going super conservative.
Lydon is a professional gadfly who often takes positions for the sake of provocation. The reactions he seeks to get are necessary for him to believe in his continuing relevance.

Don't get me wrong, I think Never Mind The Bollocks is one of the great albums of all time, and PIL was also great. This is not incompatible with Lydon having by now reduced himself to a gurning irritant.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 15 2020 at 11:12
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:14
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

As a AFlowerKingCrimson said he's making up for Johnny Rotten going super conservative.
Lydon is a professional gadfly who often takes positions for the sake of provocation. The reactions he seeks to get are necessary for him to believe in his continuing relevance.

Don't get me wrong, I think Never Mind The Bollocks is one of the great albums of all time, and PIL was also great. This is not incompatible with Lydon having by now reduced himself to a gurning irritant.
I was trying not to say that Rotten was a has been trying to stir up interest in himself. But now I don't have to. Clap Good show.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:15
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Yes - he's one of those people that says outrageous things to make sure the media doesn't forget him. He doesn't care what he says, just so long as he is branded an Anti-Christ.
You shouldn't have tried to avoid saying it Steve - it's true.

Edited by FatherChristmas - October 15 2020 at 11:16
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:23
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Seizure inducing video and something I never expected from Jon.

Thanks for posting this Doug. This is great fun! Clap  And so shocking at first viewing!

Edited by SteveG - October 15 2020 at 11:26
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:36
Sure, but I'm not Doug, so go screw yourself.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 11:52

Steve gets his names mixed up. For instance, according to him, my name is Paul. Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 12:17
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Steve gets his names mixed up. For instance, according to him, my name is Paul. Wink
No its not Paul. It's Saint Paul.

Edited by SteveG - October 15 2020 at 12:20
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 12:20

So much for the warm personal touch. LOL Btw, getting names confused is what old people do. I still confuse my grandchildren, and they're grown. They think I do it on purpose. Now, would I do something like that just to drive people crazy? Wink
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:03

I suppose it's not too lucrative being a former punk icon.

I think Johnny Rotten is just trying to butter up his public image. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:18

So much for the warm personal touch. LOL Btw, getting names confused is what old people do. I still confuse my grandchildren, and they're grown. They think I do it on purpose. Now, would I do something like that just to drive people crazy? Wink

Dave,
You are right, us old people get names wrong all the time...and John Anderton's 'new' song from 2012(?) is silly anyway and who was he talking about then...Obama..?
Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:24
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Dave,
You are right, us old people get names wrong all the time...and John Anderton's 'new' song from 2012(?) is silly anyway and who was he talking about then...Obama..?
Wink

Right on Dr. Chow. It must have been about little Bush.;)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:25
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I saw this via the Jon Anderson facebook group I'm in. It was very controversial over there. Believe it or not some Jon/Yes fans are very conservative and are T*#@p supporters. 

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I thought it was very powerful. Apparently it was recorded in 2012 or something. 

So you mean Trump right? Looks like your keyboard went wonky on you..LOL

Yes but this isn't a political thread so I didn't want to spell it out. LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:28
Please stop attributing that Johnny Rotten quote to me. I did not say that. For one thing if I do refer to him it's in the present tense and I would say John Lydon and not "Rotten." So from now if you quote that please change it so it doesn't say aflowerkingcrimson in it because that was not my quote. 

Here is the original quote you are referring to and it's from Easy Money not myself(note who's name it says): 

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Great song, 45 years later and now Jon Anderson is more punk than overfed lazy boy recliner chair John Lydon. Funny how things turn out given enough time.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 15 2020 at 14:32
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:28
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Dave,
Wink

There's also a Country singer called John Anderson, just to confuse us "old people" even more. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:40
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Please stop attributing that Johnny Rotten quote to me. I did not say that. For one thing if I do refer to him it's in the present tense and I would say John Lydon and not "Rotten." So from now if you quote that please change it so it doesn't say aflowerkingcrimson in it because that was not my quote. 

Here is the original quote you are referring to and it's from Easy Money not myself(note who's name it says): 
oh Jesus, another two members I confused.

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Great song, 45 years later and now Jon Anderson is more punk than overfed lazy boy recliner chair John Lydon. Funny how things turn out given enough time.

Oh Jesus, two more members that I'm going to confuse.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 14:47
Holy heck, I'm dazed, lol. I can't think of any precedent for a classic rock musician making a song (or a video) like this, completely outrageous! Lol, I love the wild crazy energy, not sure the music is all that great although the instrumental bridge was pretty neat. Jon's rapping sounded like....well someone just reading his usual cosmic mumbo jumbo lyrics is disbelief, lol. Idk how useful Jon Anderson telling people to vote is but I guess I'm here for it.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 15:02
I don't know who he's trying to reach out to. Prog fans are not a big part of the population. I guess that 10 more votes is better than none.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 15:41
*spits beer and chocolate all over monitor*
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>