Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jon Anderson - Go Screw Yourself video

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 15:52
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

I'm not used to listening to Jon singing words that actually made sense when strung together 

Neither am I. This is quite surprising. As if he is leaning to bring some structure in his language at an increasingly venerable age. Yet he sounds younger than he looks, and the song is quite a pretty ditty Approve. A protest singer who comes to bloom when many of his generation are retired or have passed away. Respect!
jlneudorf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlneudorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 16:21
Hello everyone. Just joined the forum after many years of following the website. Have also been a member of progressive ears for almost 15 years. Also write reviews for Sea of Tranquility.

Anyways, that's a pretty impressive tune from Anderson at this stage of his career. Nice to hear some vitriol as these times demand it if anything is going to change. And his voice still sounds great. Just my 2 cents.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 16:38
All right!  Gloves off Jon!

Seems mainly targeted at American politics, but, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't he live in Florida these days?
Z
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 16:49
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

All right!  Gloves off Jon!

Seems mainly targeted at American politics, but, if I'm not mistaken, doesn't he live in Florida these days?
He's an American white dude now, he can't deny it LOL 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 18:44
Originally posted by jlneudorf jlneudorf wrote:

Hello everyone. Just joined the forum after many years of following the website. Have also been a member of progressive ears for almost 15 years. Also write reviews for Sea of Tranquility.

Anyways, that's a pretty impressive tune from Anderson at this stage of his career. Nice to hear some vitriol as these times demand it if anything is going to change. And his voice still sounds great. Just my 2 cents.
Welcome. I visit Sea of Tranquility often. Hope you stick around and engage in music discussions.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 18:56
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Welcome. I visit Sea of Tranquility often. Hope you stick around and engage in music discussions.

It's a good site and a good youtube channel too. I used to talk to Peter Pardo a bit when I ran into him at prog festivals. We are both originally from the same part of NY.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 19:42
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I saw this via the Jon Anderson facebook group I'm in. It was very controversial over there. Believe it or not some Jon/Yes fans are very conservative and are T*#@p supporters. 

I know quite a few people in Jon-Land who are uber-conservative T*#@p supporters, quite shocking really. 

Instead of "Don't Kill the Whale," they probably chant "Let's Eat the Whale!"  They also probably sing "Let us rape the forests." 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
jlneudorf View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jlneudorf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 19:54
Thanks guys. Will certainly chime in from time to time. Maybe post a few reviews.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 19:58
Yes! Post some reviews!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2020 at 21:00
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I saw this via the Jon Anderson facebook group I'm in. It was very controversial over there. Believe it or not some Jon/Yes fans are very conservative and are T*#@p supporters. 

I know quite a few people in Jon-Land who are uber-conservative T*#@p supporters, quite shocking really. 

Instead of "Don't Kill the Whale," they probably chant "Let's Eat the Whale!"  They also probably sing "Let us rape the forests." 

My guess is that most of them grew up with Yes in the early 70's with Fragile and other older Yes albums and like them because they were cool at the time. Their other favorite bands are probably Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, ELP, Boston, Foghat, Bad Company, Styx, Ted Nugent(especially him) etc. In other words mostly stuff from that era. Some(but maybe not all)are juvenile and get a kick out of putting people down to see if they can get a reaction out of them. I would guess the lyrics of Yes or the message of Jon Anderson goes over their heads and is largely irrelevant to them. Also, most are probably not really big prog fans but are more like classic rock fans. Am I generalizing and stereotyping the conservative Yes fans? Absolutely but I'm probably not too far off the mark.

Yeah, instead of don't get kill the whale for them it's "nuke the whale" and "on the silent wings of a free enterprise." Oh yeah, also "the revealing science of don't take my guns away." 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 15 2020 at 21:04
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 00:27

Thanks guys. Will certainly chime in from time to time. Maybe post a few reviews.

Welcome!!!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - October 16 2020 at 00:38

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 04:01
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Even angry he sounds happy and joyous.  LOL

Yeah, that's like having Tweety Bird playing Conan The Barbarian. LOL

I mean, Roger Waters is much more credible than Jon!! Stern Smile

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 04:52
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Except that when all you do is moan, grumble and rant about everything for 40 years, people tend not to take much notice any more...
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 05:13
Now that all the accolades are done, it's time for the important question: Is it prog? ;)
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 08:46
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Even angry he sounds happy and joyous.  LOL

Yeah, that's like having Tweety Bird playing Conan The Barbarian. LOL

Hi,

Don't know about that ... but the problem is not Jon's credibility as is the ability for people to find out what he is saying and how, which is different, and has some unusual references. RW is not credible ... he reminds me of the "newspaper plays" in the 1930's ... when the New Deal made sure actors, directors and some theaters could work, but there were no plays, so they created plays out of reading newspapers daily!

Jon's statement, is something he should have done 10 years ago, as a way for people to let him be who he is ... but he was too busy with the fame concert series around him! That's my only complaint since some of those were not very good, and I thought it brought down the quality of his work.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2020 at 13:53
When I heard this song, I thought it was a fan made thing / Joke to make it look like an actual Jon song. Yet I thought it was actually not bad. Later on seeing all the controversy it caused on Yes's FB page it became clear he had actually done it. Nice to see there's mostly support for Jon in here, while there are people even threatening (or actually leaving, I don't know) the FB page given the political discussions it created.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2020 at 04:50
^Is this a cyclical thread? 
EDIT: Is it just me, or is there something wrong with this thread? It's gone upside down - the first comment is on he 4th page, and the last one on the 1st. Is this just for me? Confused

Edited by FatherChristmas - October 17 2020 at 04:52
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 02:57
Does anyone have a clue who plays on the song besides Jon?  The lead guitar reminds me of Trevor Rabin a bit.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 03:40
Great fun.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2020 at 05:16
I'll be honest...

...This keeps getting better and better.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>